Author Topic: ‘I don’t know I want to be that definitive’: Pelosi impeachment opposition catches Democratic leader  (Read 249 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

‘I don’t know I want to be that definitive’: Pelosi impeachment opposition catches Democratic leaders off guard
Roll Call, Mar 11, 2019, Lindsey McPherson

[...]

When Roll Call told Hoyer that Pelosi was more definitive in her interview with the Post, noting she was making news in saying she’s not for impeachment because it’s too divisive, Hoyer was surprised.  “Well, I don’t know I want to be that definitive,” the Maryland Democrat said. “I’ve said all along it depends what information comes out, but neither of us have been for impeachment at this point in time.”

Most Democratic leaders, speaking with reporters as they headed to their weekly leadership team meeting in Pelosi’s office Monday, said either that they had not seen the speaker’s comments to the Post or that they wanted to wait to comment until after speaking with her at the meeting. That included House Democratic Caucus Chairman Hakeem Jeffries, Vice Chairwoman Katherine M. Clark and Colorado Rep. Joe Neguse, one of two freshman class representatives to leadership.

None of the leaders seemed to have received a heads-up that Pelosi was going to come out in opposition to impeachment. Some were skeptical that her comments were intended to be a definitive decision on the matter.

“I’m not sure she’s ruled it out,” Democratic Policy and Communications Committee Chairman David Cicilline said. “I’ve not seen the comment. That would be hard for me to believe it.”

Cicilline repeated his view that impeachment is fact-driven and thus Democrats need to wait on Mueller to complete his report, saying the facts will be interpreted by all 435 members of the House.

More:  https://www.rollcall.com/news/congress/i-dont-know-i-want-to-be-that-definitive-pelosi-impeachment-opposition-catches-democratic-leaders-off-guard