Author Topic: Tulsi Gabbard: 'Assad Is Not The Enemy Of The United States'  (Read 552 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Tulsi Gabbard: 'Assad Is Not The Enemy Of The United States'
« on: March 10, 2019, 11:36:16 pm »
Washington (CNN) — Hawaii Democratic Rep. Tulsi Gabbard said Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is not the enemy of the United States, standing by her opposition to US involvement in that country's civil war two years after she met personally with the accused war criminal.

"Assad is not the enemy of the United States because Syria does not pose a direct threat to the United States," Gabbard said Wednesday morning on MSNBC.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/02/06/politics/tulsi-gabbard-syria-assad/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Tulsi Gabbard: 'Assad Is Not The Enemy Of The United States'
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 11:37:54 pm »
I suppose that would depend on how we view North Korea and Iran. Syria is a puppet state of Iran and has shown a willingness to work with North Korea on WMDs for decades.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/08/un-report-north-korea-syria-iran-relationship-extensive-long-standing/
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 11:49:17 pm »
HUFFINGTON POST 08/31/2015 06:08 pm ET
Syria Names A Park After Kim Jong Un’s Grandpa
Welcome to Kim Il Sung park.

North Koreans gathered Monday in the Syrian capital of Damascus, where authorities held a ceremony dedicating a park to the Hermit Kingdom’s late founder, Kim Il Sung. Members of the North Korean embassy watched as official Fairouz Moussa gave a speech praising their nation’s support for the Syrian government, according to state media agency SANA.

Syrian President Bashar Assad’s embattled regime doesn’t have many international allies, as nations and rights groups routinely condemn its horrific attacks on civilians and its human rights abuses. The government also lacks control over a majority of its territory, as various rebels and militant groups like the Islamic State carve up the country. But the Syrian regime is not without its sympathizers, among which is fellow pariah state North Korea.

Read more at: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/syria-north-korea-park-kim-il-sung_us_55e4821de4b0c818f6188e25

Whatever about the source, I remember this story when this first broke and here is one version of it.

Some claim to absolutely be a witness to very real atrocities Assad has committed and they find what Tulsi says to be absolutely silly.

Alleged documentation of Assad's crimes in Syrian prisons.

Syria conflict: 'Caesar' torture photos authentic - Human Rights Watch

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35110877

Israelis tend to believe this and say the worse of Assad, it is amazing that even in a poll of refugees, the refugees left mainly because of Assad and not ISIS... we hear ISIS is so bad.

But what has long been discussed, what Tulsi says, is brought out into the open and I welcome that discussion.

Syria has been a designated sponsor of terrorism since 1979, Hamas and Hezbollah obviously, get their weapons through some sort of supply route that would have to go through Syria. Much more can be said.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 11:50:01 pm by TomSea »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 12:15:15 am »
Lest anyone forget, that in order to keep the tribal conflicts, uprisings and such that can be a problem in any government seeking to dominate over a wide variety of people, you keep the squabbling down by being the nastiest, meanest mo-fo in the valley. You bark, the other dogs shut up.
Assad has done this, Khameni did it, Saddam did it, and others.
Assad has been pretty careful to refrain from direct conflict with the US. Khameni and Saddam were not.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 12:27:14 am »
US Judge Rules Assad Helped Al-Qaeda Kill Americans
https://clarionproject.org/us-judge-rules-assad-helped-al-qaeda-kill-americans/

The Bush administration almost expanded the war into Syria, that information is sometimes not easy to find but I think I can.

Many think the WMDs were ferried out of Iraq to Syria, we've struck Syria two times.

The reason Bush considered going into Syria is because Jiahdists used Syria to launch attacks on coalition forces, had camps in Syria.

We say pretty much Gen. Soleimaini of Iran killed Americans and Syria to me, is almost joined at the hip with Iran.

Let's not forget, the bombers who blew up marines in Lebanon without a doubt came through Syria to do their deeds and would have had to have had some cooperation to even do that.  That was 1983,

But in 1993 (Desert Storm, whatever exact year), they were indeed, part of the coalition to fight Iraq.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 12:29:26 am »
She is correct.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 12:29:35 am »
Actually, we have probably had our forces too far spread out to give Syria serious consideration, I'd not forget, we've carried out two sets of missiles strikes on Syria versus Iran. I assume Syria is under the same kinds of sanctions that a number of countries get from us.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 12:30:50 am »
The Bush administration almost expanded the war into Syria, that information is sometimes not easy to find but I think I can.

Many think the WMDs were ferried out of Iraq to Syria, we've struck Syria two times.

The reason Bush considered going into Syria is because Jiahdists used Syria to launch attacks on coalition forces, had camps in Syria.

We say pretty much Gen. Soleimaini of Iran killed Americans and Syria to me, is almost joined at the hip with Iran.

Let's not forget, the bombers who blew up marines in Lebanon without a doubt came through Syria to do their deeds and would have had to have had some cooperation to even do that.  That was 1983,

But in 1993 (Desert Storm, whatever exact year), they were indeed, part of the coalition to fight Iraq.
So bomb Iran, and Syria will come around. Enough proxy war.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 12:40:07 am »
McCain, Graham Push Obama for Regime Change in Syria

On Monday, Sens. John McCain and Lindsey Graham met privately with President Obama at the White House over his call for Congressional approval of a military strike on Syria. Obama called for the vote on Saturday, saying that the Syrian government had recently used chemical weapons on its citizens and must be punished as a result. While saying that a vote against authorization of a strike would be “catastrophic,” McCain and Graham also said the goal of military action shouldn’t be to punish Bashar al-Assad, but to remove him from power.

Obama promised that any military intervention in Syria would be limited and not represent an open-ended commitment. He said the military strike was intended to “to deter, disrupt, prevent and degrade the potential for future uses of chemical weapons or other weapons of mass destruction.”

Read more at: https://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2013/09/02/mccain-graham-push-obama-for-regime-change-in-syria/

Clinton, the Obama admin. somewhat, Graham, McCain all wanted regime change in Syria, Obama was a bit standoffish about actually doing this, his red line.  I watched a video where Graham was confronting some Gen. at a hearing and asked him more than once if we were seeking regime change in Syria.

I looked through the news... Syria is heavily sanctioned.

And we have a presence there, at al Tanf to keep an eye on Iran allegedly and in the North with the Kurds.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 12:40:42 am by TomSea »