Author Topic: I Love Vaccines. Which Ones Can I Get as an Adult?  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I Love Vaccines. Which Ones Can I Get as an Adult?
« on: March 10, 2019, 10:29:06 pm »
The anti-vaccination movement has more than earned its latest round of bad press. The U.S. is currently dealing with several outbreaks of measles, a disease effectively wiped out by routine childhood vaccination in the country two decades ago. And just this week, Oregon doctors reported that a six-year-old boy had to endure months of excruciating pain because his family had chosen to not vaccinate him for tetanus.

But while many of us fully appreciate the good that vaccines can do and support children getting all their recommended shots, there are actually some vaccines adults should be getting too—but often aren’t.

https://gizmodo.com/i-love-vaccines-which-ones-can-i-get-as-an-adult-1833164745
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: I Love Vaccines. Which Ones Can I Get as an Adult?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 11:26:56 pm »
 :MiniGun:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 12:05:30 am »
:MiniGun:

My doc says I have to get the shingles vax.  I am holding off.   Don't know why? 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 12:21:15 am »
My doc says I have to get the shingles vax.  I am holding off.   Don't know why?

Because you have a doubt about it not causing the disease they were supposed to "cure?"

I'd do it when I can.  I had Chicken Pox as a kid.  If you had the Pox get thee to a vax.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 12:24:48 am »

Had the shingles vax and the booster...got the shingles..mild case the Dr said and only on my left leg..they hurt like hell.....

The new vax is 90% effective..the one I got several years ago was 50%....now I need to get the new one...and yes you can get the shingles more than once.

I get a flu shot every fall

I have had the pneumonia shot and it's booster...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 12:26:06 am »
The anti-vaccination movement has more than earned its latest round of bad press. The U.S. is currently dealing with several outbreaks of measles, a disease effectively wiped out by routine childhood vaccination in the country two decades ago. And just this week, Oregon doctors reported that a six-year-old boy had to endure months of excruciating pain because his family had chosen to not vaccinate him for tetanus.

But while many of us fully appreciate the good that vaccines can do and support children getting all their recommended shots, there are actually some vaccines adults should be getting too—but often aren’t.

https://gizmodo.com/i-love-vaccines-which-ones-can-i-get-as-an-adult-1833164745
Sad that anti-vaxxers are getting the blame for stupid "immigration" policy.

Seed sick third world kids all over and wonder why third world diseases we'd wiped out are making a comeback? Really?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 12:26:10 am »
Because you have a doubt about it not causing the disease they were supposed to "cure?"

I'd do it when I can.  I had Chicken Pox as a kid.  If you had the Pox get thee to a vax.

It is simpler for me  I hate needles.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 12:31:51 am »
Sad that anti-vaxxers are getting the blame for stupid "immigration" policy.

Seed sick third world kids all over and wonder why third world diseases we'd wiped out are making a comeback? Really?

QFT
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 12:34:54 am »
It is simpler for me  I hate needles.

I am an RN and I refuse to get the shingles vaccine- even the new improved one. My husband is staunch anti-vaccine. We go around some. I get the flu vaccine every year and have had both the pneumonia vaccines. He won't take any. My husband recalls being given a whole host of vaccines in the navy and getting ill.

Principles matter. Words matter.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 12:37:02 am »
I know an older fellow who got the shingles vaccination and came down with a very painful case. I need to do some more reading on that before deciding whether to get it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 12:38:59 am »
I know an older fellow who got the shingles vaccination and came down with a very painful case. I need to do some more reading on that before deciding whether to get it.

Me too.   

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 01:27:06 am »

Have you ever had the shingles?  I have and I got the new vaccine as soon as it was available.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 02:15:39 am »
My husband recalls being given a whole host of vaccines in the navy and getting ill.

As you likely know, some vaccines are in a combo, like MMRV. The services were famous for hitting you all at once with mandatory shots for different deployment areas. If you assault your immune system that way, it’s easier to get sick. Spreading them out is much better.

I’m forced to get certain types for vendor credentials, especially in VA facilities. I always avoided it, until I got the flu, while traveling in 2014. My temp ran away, due to hydration. When I finally dragged myself to the ER, my temp was over 104. It took a full month to feel 100% again. Since then, I’ve gotten which shots I can and haven’t had much more than occasional congestion, since.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 02:35:13 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 02:28:48 am »
Have you ever had the shingles

nope.  i figure i will risk it.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 02:34:25 am »
nope.  i figure i will risk it.

Well, ok then.  I never want to go through that again.  Did you know it can take 6 months to get over it?  Horrible.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 02:53:00 am »
Well, ok then.  I never want to go through that again.  Did you know it can take 6 months to get over it?  Horrible.
meh.   I will survive.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 03:10:02 am »
meh.   I will survive.

Probably true.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 05:53:34 am »
Was anti-vax pretty near all the way along. Now it is out of my hands. It ain't kosher.