Author Topic: Who are you calling senior? For older folks, some terms are fast becoming radioactive.  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
You better wachit sucka or i'll wrap this cane around your neck.

Jill Tapper knew she’d made a mistake at the annual meeting of condo owners in Salisbury when she referred to their 55-plus complex as an “aging community.” She may as well have invoked rocking chairs and shuffleboard.

“Some of the other members were furious,” recalled Tapper, a longtime social worker. She quickly backed off and tried again. “Now I just call it the Windgate community.”

Tapper had stumbled onto the third rail of life-stage nomenclature. Words once commonly used to describe older folks and their lives — “elderly,” “geriatric,” “in their golden years” — are now scorned by some as patronizing. Even durable terms like “aging” and “seniors,” still in widespread use and part of the names of countless organizations, are fast becoming radioactive.

“Words like ‘elderly’ and ‘senior,’ with their negative associations, need to be put away,” said Mike Festa, director of AARP Massachusetts, who said many of the traditional labels connote physical or cognitive decline. “We’re avoiding those descriptions that convey the negative aspects of growing old.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/03/07/who-are-you-calling-senior-for-older-folks-some-terms-are-fast-becoming-radioactive/EaCvwK6WJIHbtcoXO63JqO/story.html
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Apparently the millennials think us old farts are as sensitive to words as they are.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Apparently the millennials think us old farts are as sensitive to words as they are.

Dude.  We are “perennials” now.  However I like old coots, codgers, geezers, and old farts better.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Dude.  We are “perennials” now.  However I like old coots, codgers, geezers, and old farts better.

I do too.  I want to Walgreens to buy some Brandy.  The lady carded me, then automatically applied my Codger Discount. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

I do too.  I want to Walgreens to buy some Brandy.  The lady carded me, then automatically applied my Codger Discount.

10 or 15%?   :pondering:

:cool:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
10 or 15%?   :pondering:

:cool:

I already tossed the receipt, but I'm thinking 10%.   :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

I already tossed the receipt, but I'm thinking 10%.   :shrug:

I think the WG's around here pull the hard stuff from the stores.  Only Beer and Wine. 

But ten is good.  Some of the spirit selling stores have Senior Tuesdays sales.  Never figured out why Tuesdays?  Must be a slow day.

Offline skeeter

No way. We wear each liver spot like a badge of honor.

Offline Wingnut

No way. We wear each liver spot like a badge of honor.

I can recommend a good non greasy cover-up.   We sold it to the mortuary industry. Think of it as a kind of a final destination foundation. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I can recommend a good non greasy cover-up.   We sold it to the mortuary industry. Think of it as a kind of a final destination foundation.

I like to think of them as little tattoos that say "YOU are the nOOb, Millennial." :cool:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Call me anything but late for supper, and don't forget my discount, youngster!  :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
"Curmudgeon" works, too, along with "Elder" and "graybeard".
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

Today, my doctor joked with me about being 39.  I told him I'm proud of my age.  For one thing, after a cardiac arrest in 2008, I almost didn't make it this far, so I appreciate the years I've been given since.  For another, my age gets me all sorts of benefits -- free rides on the public bus, gym memberships, discounts on hotel rooms and in a few restaurants, free or discounted admission to exhibitions and events, etc.   I'm scheduled for surgery in a few weeks, after which I likely will need some help around the house temporarily.   As an old bag, I found out I qualify for a program that provides volunteers to help with some of the chores.  I wouldn't trade in being old for being young for all the money in the world.

Call me anything -- senior or old bag -- I really don't care.  Just call me when dinner is ready.

Offline Wingnut

The line forms in the rear for Heavens waiting room.  Early birds get a 10% discount.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I'm ok with being a senior.  I earned it.  Seniors rock!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Yup!  On the 21st I'm 6 months retired.  It rocks.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yup!  On the 21st I'm 6 months retired.  It rocks.

Yes, it does.  I'm so happy for you.

Offline Wingnut

Most have the scars and replacement parts to prove it.  I however still have all my OEM parts.  Some work. Some not so much.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Yes, it does.  I'm so happy for you.

And I, you.  We love our new Castle.  Mrs. Liberty just made me a nice Screwdriver.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

And I, you.  We love our new Castle.  Mrs. Liberty just made me a nice Screwdriver.

With that discounnt Wallgreens Brandy? 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
With that discounnt Wallgreens Brandy?

No.  El cheapo Smirnoff.  The Brandy is for mixing Benedictine. 

At the moment, we are enjoying that I got Alexa connected to the full-house sound system.  I tell her to play a playlist in the Bar and it plays everywhere in the house, garage and the outside deck around the second floor.
I will NOT comply.