Author Topic: Holocaust Survivor Meets With California Teens Involved in Nazi Salute Photos  (Read 707 times)

rangerrebew

Holocaust Survivor Meets With California Teens Involved in Nazi Salute Photos
REUTERS/Mike Blake

By Steve Gorman Published on March 8, 2019

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (Reuters) — An Auschwitz survivor and stepsister of Holocaust diarist Anne Frank met on Thursday with some of the California high school students who posed in social media photos giving Nazi salutes over a swastika made of red cups used in a drinking game.

The anti-Semitic images, one with the caption “master race” — a reference to the Nazi belief in ethnic purity — went viral after being posted to Snapchat on Saturday, fueling concerns about a recent surge in incidents of hate speech in public schools nationwide.

Holocaust survivor and peace activist Eva Schloss, 89, visited privately for more than hour at Newport Harbor High School with about 10 of the teens involved, along with their parents, student leaders, faculty members and a local rabbi who helped organize the meeting.

https://stream.org/holocaust-survivor-meets-california-teens-involved-nazi-salute-photos/
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 04:19:50 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline verga

Just wondering out loud: What is the political affiliation of these yutes and their parents?
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
antisemitism has become less "unfavorable" over the last few years. In a few more years, it will be considered acceptable.
With that, neo-nazism will begin to increase since antisemitism is one of their bulwarks. It puts hem in partnership with other acceptable groups that practice it.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Just wondering out loud: What is the political affiliation of these yutes and their parents?
Just wondering, are/were these kids antisemitic, or just teen boys doing stupid ten things? How much hate if any was actually involved?  I think it is the result of schools no longer teaching real history and pushing a stilted world/political view on children. Also, I kind of fell sorry for the kids of today, there are cameras everywhere to record any and every stupid thing they may do and social media to make sure it can never disappear. When I was a kid we did lots of stupid things, not Nazi salutes because the war wasn't that many years before, but plenty of others that could have screwed us later in life.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Around 20-30 years back in Orange County there was a small contingent of teen "skinheads."

Newport Beach is very, very affluent. My guess is the incident in question was merely teen play.

If anything, it might be blowback about 24/7 "diversity" and "political correctness," in every aspect of growing up.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Just wondering, are/were these kids antisemitic, or just teen boys doing stupid ten things? How much hate if any was actually involved?  I think it is the result of schools no longer teaching real history and pushing a stilted world/political view on children. Also, I kind of fell sorry for the kids of today, there are cameras everywhere to record any and every stupid thing they may do and social media to make sure it can never disappear. When I was a kid we did lots of stupid things, not Nazi salutes because the war wasn't that many years before, but plenty of others that could have screwed us later in life.

I was wondering the same thing.  Do you really want to bring out the big guns (Holocaust survivor) for something this stupid and juvenile?  Does this really mean that these kids had aspirations to become Nazis?  I don't think so.  Slap their hands, privately, and move on. 

Bill Cipher

Having a conversation with a holocaust survivor is the perfect response to something like this.  Not official, so the cops and courts aren’t involved, but with enough gravitas that the kids will take it seriously.

Offline verga

Having a conversation with a holocaust survivor is the perfect response to something like this.  Not official, so the cops and courts aren’t involved, but with enough gravitas that the kids will take it seriously.
I think this was the perfect response. Measured, thoughtful, and done with out involving a higher authority. Years ago I had the good fortune to hear one of these people speak. There wasn't a dry eye in the house. To me the truly sad thing is that so many of them are gone and there are fewer and fewer to keep these memories alive.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline dfwgator

antisemitism has become less "unfavorable" over the last few years. In a few more years, it will be considered acceptable.

Unless it can be used to slam Conservatives with.   When liberals do it, it's perfectly ok.

Offline dfwgator

Around 20-30 years back in Orange County there was a small contingent of teen "skinheads."

Take the Skinheads bowling.