Author Topic: Covington teenager planning to sue CNN for at least $250M, lawyer says  (Read 669 times)

Offline Applewood

Covington teenager planning to sue CNN for at least $250M, lawyer says

A lawyer representing Covington Catholic High School student Nick Sandmann said in a new Fox News interview that Sandmann plans to sue CNN for at least $250 million.

L. Lin Wood, the attorney, said in an interview with Fox News host Mark Levin airing Sunday that they will file the suit early next week, on Monday or Tuesday.

“CNN was probably more vicious in its direct attacks on Nicholas than The Washington Post. And CNN goes into millions of individuals' homes. It's broadcast into their homes,” Wood told Levin.

Excerpt.  More at:
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/433355-covington-teenager-planning-to-sue-cnn-for-at-least-250m-lawyer-says

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Covington teenager planning to sue CNN for at least $250M, lawyer says

Excerpt.  More at:
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/433355-covington-teenager-planning-to-sue-cnn-for-at-least-250m-lawyer-says

I wonder where these cases will be tried?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Applewood

I'm wondering where the lawyer came up with that $250 Million figure.  LOL

Seriously, if Trump and so many others really want to curb "fake news," then this is what they should do.  Step back from any temptation to get government involved through potentially unconstitutional legislation or regulation and let the private sector sue the pants off the lies and propaganda purveyors.  Maybe when their bottom line is severely affected, the smear merchants will go back to real journalism.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Seriously, if Trump and so many others really want to curb "fake news," then this is what they should do.  Step back from any temptation to get government involved through potentially unconstitutional legislation or regulation and let the private sector sue the pants off the lies and propaganda purveyors.  Maybe when their bottom line is severely affected, the smear merchants will go back to real journalism.

Sounds like a good plan, as long as we don't run into too many crooked Rat Judges on the way. 

I foresee Trials that favor Sandmann, and Rat Judges that rule "$1" to give him a "moral victory" (which combined with a fin will get you some burnt cofeve an Starbux) and thereby avoid punishing their pals in the press.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 04:59:49 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

It's an old negotiating tactic. Start well above what you want, then a mere $10-20 million settlement seems like chump change.   Easy money.

Democrats use it all the time with legislation, starting with ridiculous demands, and getting what they wanted in the first place (and more) by being 'haggled down'.

Republicans see that as a 'victory' (it could have been so much worse), and don't have the sense to make equally outrageous demands in their initial negotiations. For some reason, most in the GOP are lousy horse traders.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

It happened in DC.  It will be filed there.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline verga

The cash is a drop in the bucket. the penalty MUST include a formal public apology and acknowledgement that they were wrong by every single news reader that  was involved in the story. Publicly shaming them is the only thing that will curb this.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Polly Ticks

The cash is a drop in the bucket. the penalty MUST include a formal public apology and acknowledgement that they were wrong by every single news reader that  was involved in the story. Publicly shaming them is the only thing that will curb this.

I suspect we'll see more weaseling out by way of "editor's notes".

“Subsequent reporting, a student’s statement and additional video allow for a more complete assessment of what occurred,” the editor’s note read.
Washington Post issues editor’s note regarding initial Covington story

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline thackney

It happened in DC.  It will be filed there.

The lawsuit is not about the initial event.  It is a suit about the news coverage. 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/covington-high-students-legal-team-sues-washington-post

Attorneys representing the Kentucky high school student involved in a confrontation that went viral on social media last month announced Tuesday that they were suing The Washington Post for $250 million in compensatory and punitive damages.

The lawsuit, which was filed in federal court in Kentucky, accused The Post of practicing "a modern-day form of McCarthyism" by targeting Nicholas Sandmann and "using its vast financial resources to enter the bully pulpit by publishing a series of false and defamatory print and online articles ... to smear a young boy who was in its view an acceptable casualty in their war against the president."...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 02:41:50 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline verga

I suspect we'll see more weaseling out by way of "editor's notes".

I don't think "Editor' notes will cut it. If this goes to court the Jury will not limit it to that.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Polly Ticks

Re: Covington teenager planning to sue CNN for at least $250M, lawyer says
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 03:29:11 pm »
I don't think "Editor' notes will cut it. If this goes to court the Jury will not limit it to that.

I sincerely hope that is the case.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Applewood

Re: Covington teenager planning to sue CNN for at least $250M, lawyer says
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 03:38:23 pm »

I expect any settlement will include some sort of half-assed apology.