Author Topic: Is It Southern or Hipster? – wellRED Comedy  (Read 2259 times)

Offline roamer_1

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 01:37:54 am by roamer_1 »

Offline roamer_1

Re: Is It Southern or Hipster? – wellRED Comedy
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 01:27:52 am »
I seem to be running into a lot of stuff about 'hipsters' messin with country stuff...
There was another thing on the board describing 'hipster' as wearing beards, flannel, jeans and a toque. That drinking PBRs is a nod to hipster...

WTF, over?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 02:28:10 am »
That's pretty funny @roamer_1 !

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 02:29:55 am »
Vegan Grits?  What did I just see?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 02:33:22 am »

Are they Gluten Free and Non GMO?

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 02:34:19 am »
It's easy to distinguish between hipsters and country folk. It's called WORK, something hipsters don't do.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 02:40:24 am »
That's pretty funny @roamer_1 !

Yeah, @Sanguine , it is funny, but what makes it funny is that it is obviously a thing - A thing I know absolutely nothing about...  This 'hipster' thing, I mean... :shrug:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 02:41:44 am »

I honestly don't know...
No comprende...  :shrug:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 02:42:44 am »
It's easy to distinguish between hipsters and country folk. It's called WORK, something hipsters don't do.

Alright - Thank you. There's a marker...

:beer:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 03:11:53 am »
Yeah, @Sanguine , it is funny, but what makes it funny is that it is obviously a thing - A thing I know absolutely nothing about...  This 'hipster' thing, I mean... :shrug:

Yeah, it's funnier if you knew some of them.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 03:47:01 am »
Yeah, it's funnier if you knew some of them.

Well yeah, I'd guess, @Sanguine  - I literally don't know what this is... But I am more interested in the thing at a cultural level...

I mean, I know what a country diner is, or a honkytonk, just driving by... In the few times I have ventured forth from these mountains, I have nearly always been able to seek out my own kind, dang near anywhere... Not so true in the rust belt big cities, but otherwise, fairly true.

I think I have described before coming back from back east and finding the first country diner on my way, and knowing I was sorta 'home' again.

This thing kinda stinks like that time when cowboy went vogue and every bar everywhere had to have a mechanical bull... sorta the  'Rhinestone Cowboy' thing.

So these hipsters... I think @Free Vulcan said they don't work - The impression I get is that this cultural segment is absconding the 'look' of the 'working man' (at least blue collar, if not country or Southern), kinda like the grunge thing did (I swear, vibram soled shoes went up two hundred dollars over that), taking cultural cues without embracing the mores thereof?

It's weird to me. So is it just attire that they would affect?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 03:48:08 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 04:01:57 am »
@roamer_1, the ones I know work, and work pretty hard.  They have a certain lifestyle to uphold.

This is a place I've eaten at that is totally a hipster place:  http://www.lucysfriedchicken.com/

But, the chicken was pretty good. Being as how we're in Texas and not the deep south, there are no vegan options, but some gluten-free ones. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 04:08:36 am »
@roamer_1, the ones I know work, and work pretty hard.  They have a certain lifestyle to uphold.

This is a place I've eaten at that is totally a hipster place:  http://www.lucysfriedchicken.com/

But, the chicken was pretty good. Being as how we're in Texas and not the deep south, there are no vegan options, but some gluten-free ones.

Alright @Sanguine ... What makes that 'Hipster' and not just redneck?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2019, 04:09:52 am »
Alright @Sanguine ... What makes that 'Hipster' and not just redneck?

They use face creme and hair and beard products.   

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2019, 04:28:55 am »
 *bouche*
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 04:46:33 am »
They use face creme and hair and beard products.

Alright. Now I am really confused.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 04:48:38 am »
Alright. Now I am really confused.

I think you might have to experience it to really get it.  And, I'm probably not the best explainer of this particular phenomenon.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 07:05:14 am »
I seem to be running into a lot of stuff about 'hipsters' messin with country stuff...
There was another thing on the board describing 'hipster' as wearing beards, flannel, jeans and a toque. That drinking PBRs is a nod to hipster...

WTF, over?
Sounds like a seriously bad case of cultural appropriation to me....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 04:44:39 pm »
I think you might have to experience it to really get it.  And, I'm probably not the best explainer of this particular phenomenon.

@Sanguine

It’s complicated.  And weird.

It started a few years ago with the “lumbersexual” trend (remember metrosexuals?).  Dana Loesch described being in NYC for a TV appearance, running into a shop for coffee, and getting in line behind a guy with the beard, jeans, flannel, work boots, and perfectly smooth white hands.  This article from a few years ago nails it—-“trying to capture bygone testosterone.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jordandetmers.com/2014/11/14/why-hipsters-dress-like-lumberjacks-the-story-of-the-lumbersexual/amp/

I honestly haven’t seen anything IRL or on social media about hipsters doing the same with southern culture—and by that I mean adopting a certain style of dress.  I’m not even sure what that would be, unless they think we all wear bib overalls or old-style housedresses.  But there are plenty of cities in the South with large hipster populations, such as Nashville, or Richmond & Charlottesville here in my state.

Our downtown area (Lynchburg) is experiencing a kind of hipster explosion, with loft apartments and trendy new restaurants.  We’re getting a craft beer company so the transformation will be complete.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=SouthernHipster&amp=true

I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh