Author Topic: Bluebonnets are in full bloom at Big Bend National Park  (Read 697 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Bluebonnets are in full bloom at Big Bend National Park
« on: March 09, 2019, 07:20:51 pm »
Lauren M. Johnson, CNN • Updated 8th March 2019

It may not technically be spring yet, but West Texas is already buzzing with the first sighting of bluebonnet flowers in Big Bend National Park.

The 2019 Wildflower Season Outlook provided by wildflowerhaven.com, predicted the season would begin early, with blooms appearing on the roadsides before showing up in fields.

"Blooms were first spotted in mid-February and are expected to last until the first week of April,"a representative from Travel Texas tells CNN Travel. "A second bloom [is expected] later this fall from late August to early October."

The bluebonnet is an iconic image for the Texas landscape and brings in thousands of tourists every year. A festival is held in the bluebonnet capital of Burnet, Texas, the second weekend of April to celebrate the blooms.

More: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/bluebonnets-big-bend-national-park-trnd/index.html

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Bluebonnets are in full bloom at Big Bend National Park
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 01:01:58 am »
I saw bluebonnets today, east of Belton! 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 01:58:05 am »
I can assure this: Because of the recent rains, the otherwise drab Southwest is blooming, across Hwys 40, 10 and 8, California, Arizona, NM, etc.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 02:17:42 pm »
Indian Paintbrush is taking off in our area.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Idiot

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 02:32:43 pm »
We are still a bit cold yet.  I'm looking forward to the wild flowers.  We haven't had a good crop in years.

I rotortilled the garden on Saturday.  Here's praying we don't go into another danged drought.