Author Topic: ‘Ridiculous’! 125 House Dems – and one Republican – vote in favor of bill to lower voting age to 16  (Read 1205 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
‘Ridiculous’! 125 House Dems – and one Republican – vote in favor of bill to lower voting age to 16
March 8, 2019 | Vivek Saxena

On Thursday over 50 percent of House Democrats voted in favor of a widely panned measure to lower the voting age for all federal elections from 18 to 16.

Introduced by freshman congresswoman Ayanna Pressley and backed by the likes of anti-Semitic, Muslim freshman congresswoman Rashida Tlaib, among others in the radical freshmen class, the measure failed to pass only because of opposition from most Republicans and 108 Democrats.

Meanwhile, a whopping 125 Democrats and one Republican, Texas Congressman Michael C. Burgess, voted in favor of the measure. It’s unclear why Burgess voted “aye.”

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2019/03/08/ridiculous-125-house-dems-and-one-republican-vote-in-favor-of-bill-to-lower-voting-age-to-16-730929
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Meanwhile, a whopping 125 Democrats and one Republican, Texas Congressman Michael C. Burgess, voted in favor of the measure. It’s unclear why Burgess voted “aye.”

Maybe his wife turns 16 this year?

****slapping 22222frying pan
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Meanwhile knowledgable educators will stipulate, the typical 18-19 year old college freshman, has the maturity of 13-15 year olds from not long ago.

I say raise the voting age, to 25.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I wonder when people start taking the democrat objectives seriously and stop calling every step toward their goals "ridiculous".

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Michael Burgess, MD??Verified account? @michaelcburgess · 7h7 hours ago 

Those who pay taxes should have a voice in our democracy. As a teen, I worked & paid taxes. This week I voted for an amdt that would give young adults the right to vote - it failed by a wide margin. I support policies that encourage work & this could be part of the conversation.

42 replies   5 retweets   13 likes   

https://twitter.com/michaelcburgess?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Looks like very bad judgment on this issue.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline verga

At 16 I had three things on my mind: cars, sex, and girls. And not necessarily in that order. I barely trust a 16 year old to cut my lawn, why would I trust one to vote? 
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
At 16 I had three things on my mind: cars, sex, and girls. And not necessarily in that order. I barely trust a 16 year old to cut my lawn, why would I trust one to vote?

Very bad judgment on his part.  Apparently he was looking fondly back on his youth.  Must have forgot the cars, sex and girls.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
One of the worst mistakes this country made was to lower the voting age to 18.
It should have remained at 21.
At least!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Meanwhile knowledgable educators will stipulate, the typical 18-19 year old college freshman, has the maturity of 13-15 year olds from not long ago.

I say raise the voting age, to 25.
Yep.

That would increase the possibility they had actually had a job (or looked for one), paid their own bills, and knew just a little about how things work. The reason the voting age and drinking age (since raised back to 21) were lowered in the first place was the number of Vietnam Era servicemen who had been or could be in combat, but could not legally buy a beer or vote when they came home.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Michael Burgess, MD??Verified account? @michaelcburgess · 7h7 hours ago 

Those who pay taxes should have a voice in our democracy. As a teen, I worked & paid taxes. This week I voted for an amdt that would give young adults the right to vote - it failed by a wide margin. I support policies that encourage work & this could be part of the conversation.

42 replies   5 retweets   13 likes   

https://twitter.com/michaelcburgess?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Looks like very bad judgment on this issue.
At 14 I was a deck hand on a pile driver. I only paid social security, and got my withheld income taxes back. That still didn't qualify me to vote, nor others in my age group. We just accepted that.

"Free, white, 21, male, and a property owner." is how we started. Now: Free, white, 21 18, male, and a property owner.
In some jurisdictions, even citizenship is optional.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline aligncare

One of the worst mistakes this country made was to lower the voting age to 18.
It should have remained at 21.
At least!

But, then, the argument will be that if you’re old enough for military service, then your old enough to vote for the leaders who would put your safety and life at risk.

Offline Slide Rule

Lower the voting age to about 20 minutes and we could
stop killing newborns.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
aligncare wrote:
"But, then, the argument will be that if you’re old enough for military service, then your old enough to vote for the leaders who would put your safety and life at risk."

In that case, "extend" the voting franchise to those:
- who have been in military service 6 months or longer
- who have been honorably discharged from military service.

... and that covers it.

Offline aligncare

aligncare wrote:
"But, then, the argument will be that if you’re old enough for military service, then your old enough to vote for the leaders who would put your safety and life at risk."

... and that covers it.

Careful, you might be accused of pragmatism!

Offline libertybele

I wonder when people start taking the democrat objectives seriously and stop calling every step toward their goals "ridiculous".

Exactly.  How can one not notice what the DEMS have been doing in the House since they've had the majority?  They've got the majority and they've come out fighting; on the 2A, electoral process, adding justices to the SCOTUS, etc. They're not wasting any time. This is exactly how they are going to win in 2020 and beyond.  They are using they majority that they have to push back. 

Too bad that the GOP who held the majority for the past 4 years, were unable to unify and push back.  Too many RINO's like McCain prohibited them from accomplishing what they needed to get done.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

aligncare wrote:

... and that covers it.
I agree. (But that would require voter ID... :laugh:).

C S Lewis

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
The Republicans are a party in name only.  They cannot unite on fundamental issues, and this is the reason for such poor performance while a majority.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The Republicans are a party in name only.  They cannot unite on fundamental issues, and this is the reason for such poor performance while a majority.

They were very united on this vote.   :shrug:

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Yes, well, this vote fits into the category of ludicrous.  However, it is brilliant too.  The Dems will pick up all those youngsters that are offended by the notion they are not prepared mentally to vote, etc. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Tough Noogies.  I refuse to hand the country over to Piggy Hogg.  I'm an old-ass and I earned it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Democrats will just keep changing the voting rules until they win every single time.

Offline Hoodat

Typical Democrats.  Not satisfied with changing the laws in their own States, they insist on forcing their will on people living in other States by denying them the right to determine their own laws. 
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

They won't be happy until they have the free candy and ice cream vote locked in.

C S Lewis