Author Topic: Air Force's Secretive XQ-58A Valkyrie Experimental Combat Drone Emerges After First Flight  (Read 894 times)

rangerrebew

Air Force's Secretive XQ-58A Valkyrie Experimental Combat Drone Emerges After First Flight

The QX-58 may lead to a whole new class of highly-flexible and affordable unmanned combat air vehicles that could revolutionize how the USAF fights.
By Tyler RogowayMarch 6, 2019

Just a week after Boeing unveiled their export-centric 'loyal wingman' combat drone concept, the Air Force Research Lab has announced that their own similar endeavor, dubbed the XQ-58A Valkyrie, has made its first flight. It also posted the very first image of the aircraft that has been developed under a veil of secrecy over the last two and half years.

Boeing Will Unveil This 'Loyal Wingman' Combat Drone For Australia's Air Force Tomorrow (Updated)By Tyler Rogoway and Joseph Trevithick Posted in The War Zone

A press release from the USAF about the aircraft's first flight reads:

The XQ-58A Valkyrie demonstrator, a long-range, high subsonic unmanned air vehicle completed its inaugural flight March 5, 2019 at Yuma Proving Grounds, Arizona. The Air Force Research Laboratory partnered with Kratos Unmanned Aerial Systems to develop the XQ-58A.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/26825/air-forces-secretive-xq-58a-valkyrie-experimental-combat-drone-emerges-after-first-flight

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I hope this works out better than the last Valkyrie.

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I hope this works out better than the last Valkyrie.

I prefer an even older model of Valkyrie

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I like "the older model", but I guess this will have to do:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I've been to the USAF flight museum in Dayton, OH.  They have one of, if not the last Valkyrie SS Bomber shown in the pic upthread.  It's a big bird.  Dangerous as heck to fly, half of them crashed.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
I've been to the USAF flight museum in Dayton, OH.  They have one of, if not the last Valkyrie SS Bomber shown in the pic upthread.  It's a big bird.  Dangerous as heck to fly, half of them crashed.
Two were completed.  Pilots mainly complained about ground handling (steering mainly) because the NLG were set so far back from the cockpit/nose area.  They had a hard time navigating taxiways/runways (when and where to turn).  Never heard tell about problems in flight except for design issues causing problems.

The loss of the one XB-70 and the F-104 that crashed into as well as the program history/development and testing is pretty well detailed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_XB-70_Valkyrie
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Two were completed.  Pilots mainly complained about ground handling (steering mainly) because the NLG were set so far back from the cockpit/nose area.  They had a hard time navigating taxiways/runways (when and where to turn).  Never heard tell about problems in flight except for design issues causing problems.

The loss of the one XB-70 and the F-104 that crashed into as well as the program history/development and testing is pretty well detailed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_XB-70_Valkyrie

That was the crash I was thinking of.  So, the one I saw in Dayton is the last one.  Last I saw, it's still there.
I will NOT comply.