Author Topic: Feds Pay Millions for Lobster Tail, Booze, Toys in End of Year Spending Binge  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

By: Elizabeth Harrington   
March 7, 2019 12:35 pm

Federal agencies billed taxpayers millions for lobster tail, alcohol, standing desks, golf carts, and more frivolous expenditures before budgets ran out at the end of the fiscal year.

A new analysis released by OpenTheBooks.com found 66 agencies spent $97 billion last September, the final month of fiscal year 2018. The end of the year taxpayer-funded spending spree included contracts with Coors, millions on iPhones, furniture, and CrossFit equipment.

"In the final month of the fiscal year, federal agencies scramble to spend what's left in their annual budget," OpenTheBooks.com said. "Agencies worry spending less than their budget allows might prompt Congress to appropriate less money in the next fiscal year. To avoid this, federal agencies choose to embark on an annual shopping spree rather than admit they can operate on less."

https://freebeacon.com/issues/feds-pay-millions-for-lobster-tail-booze-toys-in-end-of-year-spending-binge/

The Republic is lost.

Offline skeeter

Spend it or lose it.

You'd think replacing this single principle with some sort of incentive to come in under budget would've been 'low hanging fruit' for the budget hawks.

Of course that implies there's a single soul in DC concerned with saving taxpayer money.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Spend it or lose it.

You'd think replacing this single principle with some sort of incentive to come in under budget would've been 'low hanging fruit' for the budget hawks.

Of course that implies there's a single soul in DC concerned with saving taxpayer money.

Which we know definitely they are not!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Hoodat

How refreshing it would be to have a President who encourages his cabinet to NOT spend the money.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

What, no hookers?

Bill Cipher

What, no hookers?

Well, they did pay for “tail” so .....

Online Hoodat

Funny how it's perfectly OK to spend leftover funds on lobster, booze, and toys, but somehow becomes a violation of law when those funds are spent on building a wall.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Bill Cipher

Funny how it's perfectly OK to spend leftover funds on lobster, booze, and toys, but somehow becomes a violation of law when those funds are spent on building a wall.

They weren’t appropriated for a wall. 

Online Hoodat

They weren’t appropriated for a wall.

Nor were they appropriated for Lobster, Booze, or Toys.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Bill Cipher

Nor were they appropriated for Lobster, Booze, or Toys.

They were appropriated for the budgets of those agencies, and were discretionary funds. 

That makes that spending more legal than the theft that Trump wants to engage in. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
They were appropriated for the budgets of those agencies, and were discretionary funds. 

That makes that spending more legal than the theft that Trump wants to engage in.

Oh, so a Court has already ruled the Declaration of National Emergency illegal?  I must have missed that.  Do you have a link, or is that just your expert opinion?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Bill Cipher

Oh, so a Court has already ruled the Declaration of National Emergency illegal?  I must have missed that.  Do you have a link, or is that just your expert opinion?

It’s my personal opinion. 

Or am I not entitled to that here, either?  Threats, express or implied, from an admin are not very nice.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 07:19:39 pm by Bill Cipher »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It’s my personal opinion. 

Or am I not entitled to that here, either?  Threats, express or implied, from an admin are not very nice.

I think your personal opinion is fine.  I didn't see a threat in what I wrote, so it's your imagination.  I have no control over that.

So, it's your personal opinion, and it counts as much as everybody else. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
What.  No crab legs?  Guess they didn't want a fight to break out on the buffett line.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
What.  No crab legs?  Guess they didn't want a fight to break out on the buffett line.

Fill the steam tables with enough product and there are no fights.  I doubt they were stingy with the Surf N Turf in these buffet lines.   :smokin:
I will NOT comply.

Bill Cipher

I think your personal opinion is fine.  I didn't see a threat in what I wrote, so it's your imagination.  I have no control over that.

So, it's your personal opinion, and it counts as much as everybody else. 

It’s also a personal opinion that’s in line with that of a lot of other people, including a number of republicans.

I look forward to being vindicated by the courts.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It’s also a personal opinion that’s in line with that of a lot of other people, including a number of republicans.

I look forward to being vindicated by the courts.

I'm fine with waiting and seeing as well.
I will NOT comply.

Online Hoodat

I was too busy staring at the gaping double standard of what constitutes "discretionary spending".

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-