Author Topic: Warren wants to break up big tech companies  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Warren wants to break up big tech companies
« on: March 08, 2019, 02:51:34 pm »

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) called for breaking up Silicon Valley's largest companies on Friday, saying that the tech giants have gained " too much power over our economy, our society, and our democracy."

"To restore the balance of power in our democracy, to promote competition, and to ensure that the next generation of technology innovation is as vibrant as the last, it’s time to break up our biggest tech companies," Warren said in a post on Medium.

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/433186-warren-wants-to-break-up-big-tech-companies
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Warren wants to break up big tech companies
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 04:06:05 pm »
Because we need to give the Mom and Pop chipmakers a shot.   *****rollingeyes*****
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 01:48:07 am »
I see people here who wants the same thing.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 02:11:47 am »
Sort of like breaking up Ma Bell years and years ago.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 02:15:06 am »
...saying that the tech giants have gained " too much power over our economy, our society, and our democracy."

I must admit that I -almost- agree with her on this.

We don't want government gaining too much "power" over our lives (doesn't it have enough already?).

Should we not be wary when a few corporations, under the control of relatively few individuals at the top of those corporations, acquire the same?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 02:15:46 am by Fishrrman »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 02:19:27 am »
She's about 1/3 right (and 1/1024th native).

We're not a democracy, and it's big government that has too much power over our economy and our society.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 05:20:15 am »
Sweeping regulation on all corporate influence over government.  End lobbying.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 04:24:03 pm »

Cause MaBell was a public utility and needed to be broken up.

Google, Facebook, Twitter and others are not public utility.

Amazon does have competition.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 04:27:07 pm »

Agree with the first two, question the third.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 04:36:07 pm »
Agree with the first two, question the third.

They do have competition.  Brick and Mortars have been upping their shipping game.  Walmart, Lowes, Home Despot etc.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 04:38:14 pm »
...saying that the tech giants have gained " too much power over our economy, our society, and our democracy."

We don't want government gaining too much "power" over our lives (doesn't it have enough already?).

Should we not be wary when a few corporations, under the control of relatively few individuals at the top of those corporations, acquire the same?

Monopolies are also easier for the government to control, they become government-run for all intents and purposes.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 09:07:27 pm »
They do have competition.  Brick and Mortars have been upping their shipping game.  Walmart, Lowes, Home Despot etc.

Walmart has upped their ecommerce game and jet.com might give Amazon a run for their money. So I don't think that Amazon needs to be broken up. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 09:52:58 pm »

And railroads, and bnks, and oil companies.

Big Social media are already censoring for the
chines.

And hey alreadycensor political speech favoring the left in America, Canada, Europe, etc.

If you think an unregulated,   wide openfree, speech capitalistic utopia will give conservatism a place and means to be heard, you are even more naive than I thought.

I watched diiscussion on the IDW with Jaack Dorsey (head of Twitter) , his head lawyer, Joe Rogan, Tim Poole.

They readily admit their political bias, and won't quit until made to. Same for the others.

Youtube andFacebook likewise.

Of course if cyou prefer leftism as far as can be seen into the future, let them ontrol your elections.
They can.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 09:57:52 pm »
And railroads, and bnks, and oil companies.

Big Social media are already censoring for the
chines.

And hey alreadycensor political speech favoring the left in America, Canada, Europe, etc.

If you think an unregulated,   wide openfree, speech capitalistic utopia will give conservatism a place and means to be heard, you are even more naive than I thought.

I watched diiscussion on the IDW with Jaack Dorsey (head of Twitter) , his head lawyer, Joe Rogan, Tim Poole.

They readily admit their political bias, and won't quit until made to. Same for the others.

Youtube andFacebook likewise.

Of course if cyou prefer leftism as far as can be seen into the future, let them ontrol your elections.
They can.

Social Media is not a public utility.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 10:14:10 pm »
I see people here who wants the same thing.

I'm against breaking up "big tech". Tech is inherently anti monopoly. Remember the big tech companies of yesteryear? Like dec and ibm. Remember when people though Microsoft would totally take over?

But... I don't hold it against people for disagreeing with me. I don't have much love for Google.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 10:15:17 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 10:26:57 pm »
I'm against breaking up "big tech". Tech is inherently anti monopoly. Remember the big tech companies of yesteryear? Like dec and ibm. Remember when people though Microsoft would totally take over?

But... I don't hold it against people for disagreeing with me. I don't have much love for Google.

I like Google, but I don't see Google dominating the market forever.  Someone else will come along.  I remember the lawsuit from the Clinton admin to breakup Microsoft (mainly cause they wanted campaign cash from them).

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 12:21:09 pm »

Warren wants something forgettable that will place
her name and photo in the news. Nothing more.

Something to be flip flopped next week.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline aligncare

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 02:42:37 pm »

The message is good, however; technologies do have unanticipated repercussions in society, particularly in the area of politics, privacy and interstate commerce. These impacts are not posed by other industries. So, passing safeguards against monopolistic behavior in tech makes some constitutional sense.

The problem, however, is the messenger. She’s a phony, through and through.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 02:46:31 am »

Google, Twitter and Facebook have all greatly impacted society through domination of the internet (similar to Ma Bell domination). 

Amazon has competition??  Very little. They are the reason why so many brick and mortar stores have closed -- they are the dominant internet store.

They of course are not utility companies in the true sense,  but I see the internet is a modern day 'utility' company.  Google, Twitter, Amazon and Facebook, dominate the internet and greatly influence information people receive and how they shop.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 02:48:30 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 03:27:48 am »
Google, Twitter and Facebook have all greatly impacted society through domination of the internet (similar to Ma Bell domination). 

Amazon has competition??  Very little. They are the reason why so many brick and mortar stores have closed -- they are the dominant internet store.

They of course are not utility companies in the true sense,  but I see the internet is a modern day 'utility' company.  Google, Twitter, Amazon and Facebook, dominate the internet and greatly influence information people receive and how they shop.

Google, Twitter and Facebook don't have the monopoly power that T had.  If you wanted phone service, you went with T because that is all there was.  I can remember when they wouldn't even let you use a phone they didn't own.  They owned the lines, switches, switching protocols, etc.   If someone wanted to compete with them, all they had to do would be to run new lines to every house in the US.

Google, Twitter and Facebook aren't even monopolies, as they lack a significant barrier to entry.  I could write a competitive product and be up and running in an afternoon.  I'd get my butt kicked, at least at first, but I could enter the market and compete easily.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.