Author Topic: Heard stupid crap from my teebee playing in the background....  (Read 1777 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
...so I looked to see what the hell it was.

It was,no kidding, "The New Kids on the Block" doing a rap song and dancing on Good Morning America. A bunch of white guys in their 40's doing hip-hop in an effort to be relevant.

The good news for them is that no matter how much they sucked,they were no worse than anyone else doing hip-hop,but I get serious brain freeze trying to figure out how they thought this was going to work for them.

Maybe they thought the dark shades would be enough to pull it off?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Heard stupid crap from my teebee playing in the background....
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 04:42:01 pm »
You keep GAM on the teebee?   888mouth
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 07:15:48 pm »
@sneakypete

New Kids weren't all  that talented back in their heyday.   Today's artists do a lot of moving around that is supposed to be dancing and their voices sound like my brother's garbage disposal.  And the rappers -- all they do is talk in rhyme.  Hell, I can do that and I have no discernible music talent whatsoever. 

Give me the older artists anyday.  I just read that Jerry Lee Lewis isn't well.  I saw him in concert several years ago and he still "got it."  Or look at Tony Bennett -- 92 years old and still performing.   These younger guys and gals will be merely an answer to a trivia question in the near future.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 07:30:18 pm »
You keep GAM on the teebee?   888mouth

@Cyber Liberty

Yeah,for the weather and local road reports.

Plus the local "weather girl" has a rack you have to see to believe.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 07:33:14 pm »
@sneakypete

New Kids weren't all  that talented back in their heyday.   Today's artists do a lot of moving around that is supposed to be dancing and their voices sound like my brother's garbage disposal.  And the rappers -- all they do is talk in rhyme.  Hell, I can do that and I have no discernible music talent whatsoever. 

Give me the older artists anyday.  I just read that Jerry Lee Lewis isn't well.  I saw him in concert several years ago and he still "got it."  Or look at Tony Bennett -- 92 years old and still performing.   These younger guys and gals will be merely an answer to a trivia question in the near future.

@Applewood

There as not a rapper or hip-hop "artist" alive that can begin to compare with Tony Bennett or "the killer". Jerry Lee brought a TON of adrenaline to rock and roll. He was the man Elvis WANTED to be,but the media didn't and don't like people that tell them to bleem off.

Funny,but true story. I ran into a you boob video a couple of years ago of a county fair advertising Jerry Lee Lewis as the musical attraction. Small fair,and it seemed like nobody was particularly excited to be there,but it was free,so what the hell,right?

Jerry Lee comes out,sits at the piano,and tells the crowd "Try to hold on to whatever you got",and just EXPLODES all over them. People are up dancing and losing their bleeping minds.

I am betting nobody in THAT crowd forgets who Jerry Lee Lewis is for the rest of their lives.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 07:50:04 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 07:44:52 pm »
I don't think to watch Saturday Night Live, but did see it not long ago and the music is as I remember - some group with a lead singer whose words you can't understand, gyrating her body around the floor, nor can you figure out what the music is doing as there are crashes of sounds that make no sense.

I heard Tony Bennett in concert in Houston, TX, as he was aging and that was around 1994. It was special to see and hear him.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 07:52:26 pm »
I don't think to watch Saturday Night Live, but did see it not long ago and the music is as I remember - some group with a lead singer whose words you can't understand, gyrating her body around the floor, nor can you figure out what the music is doing as there are crashes of sounds that make no sense.

I heard Tony Bennett in concert in Houston, TX, as he was aging and that was around 1994. It was special to see and hear him.

@Victoria33

Tony Bennett is in a category all of his own at this point. He is a freak of nature.  NOBODY is supposed to be able to sing in their 80's like they did in their 30's.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 08:02:20 pm »
@Victoria33

Tony Bennett is in a category all of his own at this point. He is a freak of nature.  NOBODY is supposed to be able to sing in their 80's like they did in their 30's.

I believe Mr. Bennett has had to make a few adjustments.  I was just playing a recording of him in concert in 2003.  I guess he couldn't hit some notes like he used to.  He had a big band behind him and he was singing in a more jazzy way so his voice wouldn't have to strain.  It also seemed like the band was picking up the slack -- less singing, more melody.  Also, I notice he has been doing a number of duets lately -- let the other artists share the load.   

But who cares?  Like you said, he still sounds a lot better than those younger guys and gals

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 08:07:15 pm »

But who cares?   

@Applewood

Not ME! I'll be thrilled if people are rolling me around on a hand truck when I am his age.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 10:36:16 pm »
@Applewood

There as not a rapper or hip-hop "artist" alive that can begin to compare with Tony Bennett or "the killer". Jerry Lee brought a TON of adrenaline to rock and roll. He was the man Elvis WANTED to be,but the media didn't and don't like people that tell them to bleem off.

Funny,but true story. I ran into a you boob video a couple of years ago of a county fair advertising Jerry Lee Lewis as the musical attraction. Small fair,and it seemed like nobody was particularly excited to be there,but it was free,so what the hell,right?

Jerry Lee comes out,sits at the piano,and tells the crowd "Try to hold on to whatever you got",and just EXPLODES all over them. People are up dancing and losing their bleeping minds.

I am betting nobody in THAT crowd forgets who Jerry Lee Lewis is for the rest of their lives.
"There as not a rapper or hip-hop "artist" alive that can begin to compare with Tony Bennett or "the killer"

True, but we have to remember that for the bar for music to be  superior to rap, it only has to be about one half inch high...if that.
Rap is absolutely the worst excuse for music imaginable. Armpit farting is  superior music to rap.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 10:41:20 pm »
"There as not a rapper or hip-hop "artist" alive that can begin to compare with Tony Bennett or "the killer"

True, but we have to remember that for the bar for music to be  superior to rap, it only has to be about one half inch high...if that.
Rap is absolutely the worst excuse for music imaginable. Armpit farting is  superior music to rap.

@goatprairie

True. The only "bar" for rap is you have to not be white. It doesn't even have the range of tribal chants.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 11:10:52 pm »
Armpit farting is  superior music to rap.

I really do agree - But that leads me to but one question:
Then why ain't I a star?

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 12:33:25 am »
I really do agree - But that leads me to but one question:
Then why ain't I a star?
*look* If deep down you believe it, you ARE!!! a star.

Offline corbe

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 01:06:51 am »
   I turn my TV on for Rockets basketball only, so I am somewhat immune to this. 

We are Third in the West, after an 11-14 start, we're finally healthy and we're playing the 76'ers in a few minutes.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 01:14:27 am »
*look* If deep down you believe it, you ARE!!! a star.

Hey. Don't give me none of that 'Everybody gets a trophy' crap.

:beer: :seeya:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 02:44:37 am »
@Applewood

I saw him at Mickey Gilley's in TX in its heyday. I didn't know him from Adam when I walked in, but I damned sure did when I left!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 05:07:06 am »
I saw him at Mickey Gilley's in TX in its heyday. I didn't know him from Adam when I walked in, but I damned sure did when I left!

@Smokin Joe

You would have to be blind and deaf to avoid noticing Jerry Lee.

Even then you should be able to feel the vibrations.

Look up the youtube videos of him playing on tv back in the 50's and you will see he just flat tears it up every time he walks on a stage.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 05:35:40 am »
@Smokin Joe

You would have to be blind and deaf to avoid noticing Jerry Lee.

Even then you should be able to feel the vibrations.

Look up the youtube videos of him playing on tv back in the 50's and you will see he just flat tears it up every time he walks on a stage.
GIlley's was a pretty big honky tonk, by any standard, and you could hear him from the parking lot. One hell of a show! (Tough to feel vibrations through the herd in there, but you could).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis