Author Topic: Triton is the world’s most murderous malware, and it’s spreading  (Read 4347 times)

Offline roamer_1

Thanks, that's sort of what I thought.  I use satellite internet and when that runs out, I use a mobile hotspot the rest of the time and whenever I travel.  I never use public networks.

@Sanguine
You might consider one of those base-station cellular units.... They are way more powerful than your phone, and will deliver much better service than using your phone to hotspot.

Might be a cellular repeater/antenna involved too... I don't know about by your needs exactly, But Straight Talk, over to the Wallyworld is about a 100 dollar investment for the unit and somewhere between 35 and 55 a month (depending on your bandwidth)... If you need an antenna, that'd be more (maybe another hundred)...

Most of the hillbillies up here that can, do it that way, Cheaper and better then sat, and if you can do internet for TV, you can get rid of sat altogether.

You should check it out. If you get cell service at your house, it is a good option.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

@Sanguine
You might consider one of those base-station cellular units.... They are way more powerful than your phone, and will deliver much better service than using your phone to hotspot.

Might be a cellular repeater/antenna involved too... I don't know about by your needs exactly, But Straight Talk, over to the Wallyworld is about a 100 dollar investment for the unit and somewhere between 35 and 55 a month (depending on your bandwidth)... If you need an antenna, that'd be more (maybe another hundred)...

Most of the hillbillies up here that can, do it that way, Cheaper and better then sat, and if you can do internet for TV, you can get rid of sat altogether.

You should check it out. If you get cell service at your house, it is a good option.

I think we're talking about the same thing re: the base-station cellular unit.  I have one and it works better than the satellite internet.  But, I only get 20G per month, so I alternate.

Offline roamer_1

I think we're talking about the same thing re: the base-station cellular unit.  I have one and it works better than the satellite internet.  But, I only get 20G per month, so I alternate.

@Sanguine
Alright. Good enuff...
Might go looking though... unlimited bandwidth plans are about as cheap as for regular phones...
Like I said, one of my buddies lives up in the sticks and uses Straight Talk, gets unlimited bandwidth for something like 50 bucks a month... That gives him a home phone and internet... Once he got that, he quit sat as fast as he could, as it was costing him way, way more than that.

But, I reckon you already shopped around, so if that's all you can do, good on ya.
 :beer:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sanguine
Alright. Good enuff...
Might go looking though... unlimited bandwidth plans are about as cheap as for regular phones...
Like I said, one of my buddies lives up in the sticks and uses Straight Talk, gets unlimited bandwidth for something like 50 bucks a month... That gives him a home phone and internet... Once he got that, he quit sat as fast as he could, as it was costing him way, way more than that.

But, I reckon you already shopped around, so if that's all you can do, good on ya.
 :beer:

I appreciate the advice.  I'm pretty much stuck with one provider out here.  Just not enough people for much competition to develop.  And I prefer the lousy service to more people.   happy77

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Being a computer des not necessarily mean it's connected to a network.

Physical security is important but with proper encryption a hard drive is hard to "hack".

Have computerized controls has additional safeguards like alerting improper access attempts and such.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 05:05:47 am by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline roamer_1

Being a computer des not necessarily mean it's connected to a network.

I know.

Physical security is important but with proper encryption a hard drive is hard to "hack".

I know that too - but the physical security is the more important of the two. The problem with encryption is that it is subject to failure, and if it fails, it is a brick. So encrypted drives are always backed up somewhere in a non-encrypted fashion. That is the easier way. But don't trust your hard drive encryption too far, because I have done it the hard way too.

Have computerized controls has additional safeguards like alerting improper access attempts and such.

Which can often be spoofed
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 05:34:32 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Hoodat

Anyone using Triconex for a plant-wide SIS deserves what they get.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-