Author Topic: BBC - Future - Would you want to stay in a space hotel?  (Read 1386 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
BBC - Future - Would you want to stay in a space hotel?
« on: March 07, 2019, 11:46:32 pm »
 http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190306-would-you-want-to-stay-in-a-space-hotel

Would you want to stay in a space hotel?

7 March 2019

It was intended to set the travel world on fire: Aurora Station, the world’s first in-orbit hotel. The official announcement took place last April during the Space 2.0 Conference in San Jose, California. Housed aboard a structure about the size of a large private jet, guests would soar 200 miles above the Earth’s surface, enjoying epic views of the planet and the northern and southern lights.

A jaunt won’t be cheap: the 12-day-journey aboard Aurora Station, scheduled to be in orbit by 2022, starts at a cool $9.5m (£7.3m) per person. Nevertheless, the company says the waiting list is booked nearly seven months ahead.

“Part of our experience is to give people the taste of the life of a professional astronaut,” says Frank Bunger, founder and chief executive officer of Orion Span, the firm which is behind Aurora Station. “But we expect most guests will be looking out the window, calling everyone they know, and should guests get bored, we have what we call the ‘holodeck,’ a virtual reality experience. In it you can do anything you want; you can float in space, you can walk on the Moon, you can play golf.”
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: BBC - Future - Would you want to stay in a space hotel?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 11:57:08 pm »
Wouldn't mind 12 days in space, but $9.5M?  At that cost, perks should at least include Orion Slave Girls.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 12:06:10 am »
I'd love to, but that price is a little steep.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 12:10:52 am »
Wouldn't mind 12 days in space, but $9.5M?  At that cost, perks should at least include Orion Slave Girls.

At least. And not fakes ones in some holodeck.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Bill Cipher

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 02:05:15 am »
Not at that price. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 02:22:05 am »
Considering a distinct side effect of weightlessness is nausea, If I want to spend three days puking, I can go on a cruise much cheaper...and still see 70% salt water out the window.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 02:58:22 am »
Considering a distinct side effect of weightlessness is nausea, If I want to spend three days puking, I can go on a cruise much cheaper...and still see 70% salt water out the window.

Lower decks really have a view in 6' waves, eh?  Crew quarters are the next coupla decks below.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 02:59:29 am »
Lower decks really have a view in 6' waves, eh?  Crew quarters are the next coupla decks below.
For a fraction of the cost of the space hotel, you could be upper deck.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 03:02:28 am »
NOPE.

I won't even stay in hotels.
Alternative means of exit are an important factor for me.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 03:05:30 am »
NOPE.

First floor windows....or a balcony over the pool....

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 03:07:24 am »
NOPE.

888mouth

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 03:09:33 am »
First floor windows....or a balcony over the pool....

And windows out the back...

I am never comfortable in an unfamiliar building. And I am way more likely to car camp where I have direct control of situational terrain. And I always know a back way out, every time.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 03:11:23 am »
For a fraction of the cost of the space hotel, you could be upper deck.

Done the upper deck, highly recommend it.  The joggers on the top deck suck.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 03:12:39 am »
And windows out the back...

I am never comfortable in an unfamiliar building. And I am way more likely to car camp where I have direct control of situational terrain. And I always know a back way out, every time.
Yep. And I have developed the ability to drive 1200 miles at a crack to avoid even having to do that.

C S Lewis