Author Topic: Barking Mad: New Jersey town introduces legislation that could JAIL dog owners for up to 90 days if  (Read 1340 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Barking Mad: New Jersey town introduces legislation that could JAIL dog owners for up to 90 days if their pet is caught barking for more than 20 minutes at a time

Saddle River council are looking to introduce a new law to deter dog barking
    The new ordinance says barking of 20 minutes or longer will be punished
    Fines of $1,000 can be imparted and owners could be jailed for up to 90 days 

By Luke Kenton For Dailymail.com

Published: 02:13 EST, 7 March 2019 | Updated: 03:21 EST, 7 March 2019

Saddle River council's new legislation is causing controversy among local residents

Saddle River council's new legislation is causing controversy among local residents

A town in New Jersey is looking to put an end to excessive dog parking with new legislation carrying serious jail time.

The Saddle River council are looking to pass a new law stating that dog owners can not allow their beloved pets to bark, howl or yelp for more than 20 minutes between 7 am and 10 pm, or for 15 minutes from 10 pm on-wards.

Failure to comply with the new ruling could land residents of the town with hefty fines of $1,000 or even prison sentences of up to 90 days, the council's ordinance details.

90 days of community service is also listed as a possible punishment in the document.

more
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6780909/New-Jersey-town-introduces-legislation-jail-owners-noisy-dogs-90-days.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Who's gonna care for the dog while they're in jail?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
As much as I dislike them, shock collars work.

OTOH, the dog just might be barking at the peckerwood leaning over the fence taking the video of the dog barking...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 05:27:36 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I'm not really against this.

Offline Smokin Joe

Think it over. The dog barks at people he doesn't know, so they lean over the fence and video the dog barking, which ensures the dog keeps barking if you don't go out and run them off. If you have a neighbor who doesn't like you, the very act of 'getting the evidence' will make the 'crime' happen. Yes, I do see a problem, but I don't live in New Jersey and stuff like this is part of the reason why.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Yep, I'd love to go to jail because something happened and the dog started to bark while I was at the store. Heck just send me to jail now so I can ask for the time off of work. Oh wait, I don't get 3 months of vacation time. I'll get fired because my dog was barking while I was at the store.

Yes this is an absolutely wonderful law, I would love to have my life completely destroyed by a barking dog. Is great idea Komrade, life is just too enjoyable with all that freedom.

“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Think it over. The dog barks at people he doesn't know, so they lean over the fence and video the dog barking, which ensures the dog keeps barking if you don't go out and run them off. If you have a neighbor who doesn't like you, the very act of 'getting the evidence' will make the 'crime' happen. Yes, I do see a problem, but I don't live in New Jersey and stuff like this is part of the reason why.
There are many instances of people who don't like their neighbors or dogs and intentionally bait the animals into barking just so they can cause their neighbor grief or force them to give up their dogs. For years I lived in a house that backed to a elementary school with just a chain link fence between us and the kids constantly baited my dog while teachers and aides stood by doing nothing, fortunately the Principal was an animal lover and disciplinarian and put a quick stop to it when I told him. I have had a number of family and friends with neighbors that tried to cause them trouble by baiting their dogs and the only protection you have is to have cameras covering your yard for defense.

Online roamer_1

I don't live in New Jersey and stuff like this is part of the reason why.

pointing-up

• Technical
Yep, I'd love to go to jail because something happened and the dog started to bark while I was at the store. Heck just send me to jail now so I can ask for the time off of work. Oh wait, I don't get 3 months of vacation time. I'll get fired because my dog was barking while I was at the store.

Yes this is an absolutely wonderful law, I would love to have my life completely destroyed by a barking dog. Is great idea Komrade, life is just too enjoyable with all that freedom.

I take you've never lived next to neighbors with a neglected dog that barked endlessly.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I take you've never lived next to neighbors with a neglected dog that barked endlessly.

Yes, I think that's the type of situation this is meant to help with.  Not the occasional barker, or the "responding to intruders" barker, but the constant, non-stop type of barking that a bored, neglected dog does. 

Offline Smokin Joe

Yes, I think that's the type of situation this is meant to help with.  Not the occasional barker, or the "responding to intruders" barker, but the constant, non-stop type of barking that a bored, neglected dog does.
It may bee, but aren't there laws to deal with animal neglect, rather than to have to fight the intentional baiting of your non-neglected dog by others? Any proposed legislation should be examined at its worst possible application (abuse by those hostile to what is being regulated), and amended to prevent its misuse or simply discarded if that cannot be done.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

It may bee, but aren't there laws to deal with animal neglect, rather than to have to fight the intentional baiting of your non-neglected dog by others? Any proposed legislation should be examined at its worst possible application (abuse by those hostile to what is being regulated), and amended to prevent its misuse or simply discarded if that cannot be done.

Out here it would fall under a Disturbing the Peace citation, and after a few of those and the hundreds of dollars they represent, an owner would give up the nuisance dog on his own.

Offline Smokin Joe

Out here it would fall under a Disturbing the Peace citation, and after a few of those and the hundreds of dollars they represent, an owner would give up the nuisance dog on his own.
Yep, if it is the dog that is the problem.
I can see where a neighbor might decide they don't like the dog, though, under this law, and provoke the problem from the git-go.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

Yep, if it is the dog that is the problem.
I can see where a neighbor might decide they don't like the dog, though, under this law, and provoke the problem from the git-go.

Yeah, I see that - though again, here, a bad dog will have a tendency to just disappear... And generally it would never come to that - Neighbors try pretty hard to get along. A problem animal is not worth being a bad neighbor.

It is the idea of jail time over such an infraction that is an amazement to me. Ludicrous...

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

I have actually, two German Sheppards that used to bark till at all hours of the morning. Those dogs could jump an 8 foot fence just to do their business in our yard. A fine I can understand, but I wouldn't have thought of wanting the owners thrown in jail for three freaking months.

You do realize people will be losing their ability to hold a job if they go to jail for months right. 20 minutes of barking = three months of jail. I mean maybe three month of dogs barking every night, but minutes is ridiculous.

“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

The law says 20 minutes. Laws that don't mean what they say are bad laws and should be rewritten.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
As much as I dislike them, shock collars work.

Using a shock collar is a good reason to jail someone.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Smokin Joe

Depends on who you use it on.

I didn't say I like them, nor do I want a dog that 'alerts' to be punished for doing their job. 
But, in extremis (when nothing else works), they work. 

The alternative isn't pleasant, either.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

Nah. Not used properly. You set it up to tickle em. It is a distraction. If you set it to cause pain (if they yip when it goes off), then you are doing it wrong.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Nah. Not used properly. You set it up to tickle em. It is a distraction. If you set it to cause pain (if they yip when it goes off), then you are doing it wrong.

Agreed.  And, when it teaches them to not go out onto the road, it's a very good thing.

• Technical

:thumbsup:

Offline Smokin Joe

Yep! The objective isn't to punish, just get their attention.

C S Lewis