Author Topic: These Married Cousins Are Trying To Change Utah Laws To Recognize Their Union  (Read 1387 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://rare.us/rare-life/rare-love/first-cousins-marry-in-colorado/

by Silke Jasso
March 6, 2019

Finding the right person to spend the rest of your life is hard. Everyone knows that. They say you have to kiss a few handfuls of frogs to find your match, ultimately finding them one way or another. Sometimes it’s a new person you meet, sometimes it’s a childhood friend who you grow up with and end up falling love throughout time. If so…then congratulations, you both have a strong bond. Like Michael and Angie, who met when they were children…because they are cousins.

Yes, the first cousin from Utah tied the knot in Colorado, and say they have loved each other since childhood. Seriously. Turns out the couple is fighting for their right to get married in their home state, saying love shouldn’t be limited to them because their parents are siblings.

Although Michael and Angie are married in Colorado they aren’t considered husband and wife in their home state of Utah because they are cousins.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
My in-laws were first cousins. It's not that unusual up here.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline verga

Paddle faster I hear banjos.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
My in-laws were first cousins. It's not that unusual up here.
My wife's niece married her first cousin, but they never planned or wanted children because she said she had married one, so no harm no foul to the gene pool unlike Royals or Einstein, Poe, H.G. Wells, Darwin, Jerry Lee Lewis, Jesse James.................

Offline QueenCatofAragon

I hope a tubal or a vasectomy is next for these...people.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline Right_in_Virginia

First cousins in love with each other petition to get legally married in Utah
CBS News, Mar 6, 2019

Two cousins who say they are in love with each other have created an online petition calling for the state of Utah to allow them to get legally married. "My first cousin and I have been in love with each other our whole lives but we are prohibited from marrying in the state of Utah where we live," Angela Peang writes in the petition. "We believe that the law is outdated and it needs to be changed so that we can socially legitimize our love."

The couple's goal is to get 1,000 signatures; as of Wednesday morning, about 75 have signed on. Peang told CBS News she's loved her cousin, Michael Lee, since she was in second grade. Peang's father is the oldest of 12 children; his sister, the fifth child in that family, is Lee's mother.

"We just always played a lot," Peang remembered of her childhood interactions with Lee. "We went into a closet and we were kissing and dancing together. It just felt really natural."

[...]

The cousins are not legally allowed to get married in Utah, but the law is different in Colorado. Peang and Lee went to Grand Junction, Colorado, on Monday to tie the knot at the courthouse. Lee posted a celebratory message on Facebook. "I am officially a married man with a bright future," he wrote. "I am completely ecstatic about finally being married to my Angie."

More:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/first-cousins-in-love-with-each-other-petition-to-get-legally-married-in-utah/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=64461811

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
First cousins who say they're in love petition Utah to legally marry each other
By Aris Folley - 03/07/19 08:43 PM EST

Two first cousins from Utah who claim to be in love created a petition calling on their home state to allow them to legally tie the knot.

"My first cousin and I have been in love with each other our whole lives but we are prohibited from marrying in the state of Utah where we live," Angela Peang said in the online petition.

"We believe that the law is outdated and it needs to be changed so that we can socially legitimize our love,” she continued.

Peang and her cousin, Michael Lee, are vying to get 1,000 signatures for the petition.

Peang told CBS News on Wednesday that she has loved her cousin since she was in the second grade.

"We just always played a lot," Peang, whose father is the brother of Lee’s mother, told the publication of her interactions with her cousin as a child. "We went into a closet and we were kissing and dancing together. It just felt really natural."

"He told my mom he was going to marry me," Peang told the news agency.

more
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/433156-first-cousins-who-say-theyre-in-love-petition-utah-to-legally
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Mod2

Topics merged.

Offline Mod1

Merged another thread into the two existing ones.