Author Topic: Why Elites Dislike Standardized Testing  (Read 691 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Why Elites Dislike Standardized Testing
« on: March 14, 2019, 03:26:00 am »
written by Daniel Friedman   

On Tuesday, March 12 2019, federal prosecutors exposed a crooked college admissions consulting operation that bribed SAT administrators and college athletic coaches in order to get wealthy, underqualified applicants into elite universities. Also charged were 33 wealthy parents who had paid for admissions bribes, including actors Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin, Gordon Caplan, a co-chair of the international law firm Willkie Farr & Gallagher, and Douglas Hodge, the former chief executive of Pimco.

As this story unfolds, there will be numerous takes and analyses about what the exposure of such widespread corruption in college admissions could mean. People are going to say that this scandal is proof that the meritocracy is broken and corrupt. And it’s likely that many commentators will use this event as an opportunity to attack the SAT and the ACT. Progressives view test-based admissions as inequitable because some marginalized groups are significantly underrepresented among the pool of top-scoring college applicants. But millionaires and elites also hate standardized admissions tests, because their children’s admission to top colleges is contingent upon test scores.

Under pressure from both the academic left and wealthy parents, hundreds of colleges have become “test optional,” allowing students to submit applications without test scores. Some elite schools, including Bowdoin, Bryn Mawr and the University of Chicago have adopted these policies. ...

https://quillette.com/2019/03/13/standardized-testing-and-meritocracy/

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Re: Why Elites Dislike Standardized Testing
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 03:36:57 am »
One more thorn in a briar patch.

An enema the size of what's behind the Hoover Dam couldn't clean out our Universities.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 03:39:05 am »

An enema the size of what's behind the Hoover Dam couldn't clean out our Universities.

I think you are correct.  It will take a looooooooong, hard fight to do it.  It could take several generations.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 07:08:14 am »

It'll take generations to flush the AGW nonsense out, alone. It's everywhere.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bilo

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 04:01:17 pm »
I'm wondering who is the victim the DOJ is trying to help in this mess. Is it the universities because they didn't get the bribes, but someone down the ladder did? If someone give a million bucks to a University why should there be any shock that their child will be admitted. Don't get me wrong the hypocrisy of these leftists is just too much, but who is the victim?

If these are all private colleges why don't they have the right to accept who ever they want.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 04:05:53 pm »
I'm wondering who is the victim the DOJ is trying to help in this mess. Is it the universities because they didn't get the bribes, but someone down the ladder did? If someone give a million bucks to a University why should there be any shock that their child will be admitted. Don't get me wrong the hypocrisy of these leftists is just too much, but who is the victim?

If these are all private colleges why don't they have the right to accept who ever they want.

At least some of them are not private; UT for instance.  And, I think all of them get some federal funds.

Offline bilo

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 05:30:53 pm »
At least some of them are not private; UT for instance.  And, I think all of them get some federal funds.

If private universities accept federal funds are their admission policies dictated by the federal govt? If so how do legacies get preferential treatment.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 05:45:39 pm »
If private universities accept federal funds are their admission policies dictated by the federal govt? If so how do legacies get preferential treatment.

I don't know that anyone admits that legacy admittees are given preferential treatment.

Offline bilo

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 07:09:13 pm »
I don't know that anyone admits that legacy admittees are given preferential treatment.

Some alum gives a million bucks to a school and his kid doesn't get in?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 09:51:21 pm »
Some alum gives a million bucks to a school and his kid doesn't get in?

I really don't know.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 10:13:38 pm »

What if it's not $1M to the University, but $450,000 to the soccer coach?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.