Author Topic: School lessons targeted by climate change doubters  (Read 814 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
School lessons targeted by climate change doubters
« on: March 07, 2019, 12:16:00 am »
Houston Chronicle By MICHAEL MELIA, March 6, 2019

A Connecticut lawmaker wants to strike climate change from state science standards. A Virginia legislator worries teachers are indoctrinating students with their personal views on global warming. And an Oklahoma state senator wants educators to be able to introduce alternative viewpoints without fear of losing their jobs.

As climate change becomes a hotter topic in American classrooms, politicians around the country are pushing back against the near-universal scientific consensus that global warming is real, dire and man-made.

Of the more than a dozen such measures proposed so far this year, some already have failed. But they have emerged this year in growing numbers, many of them inspired or directly encouraged by a pair of advocacy groups, the Discovery Institute and the Heartland Institute.

"You have to present two sides of the argument and allow the kids to deliberate," said Republican state Sen. David Bullard of Oklahoma, a former high school geography teacher whose bill, based on model legislation from the Discovery Institute, ran into opposition from science teachers and went nowhere.

Scientists and science education organizations have blasted such proposals for sowing confusion and doubt on a topic of global urgency. They reject the notion that there are "two sides" to the issue.

"You can't talk about two sides when the other side doesn't have a foot in reality," said University of Illinois climate scientist Donald Wuebbles.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/science/article/School-lessons-increasingly-a-target-for-climate-13667092.php

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: School lessons targeted by climate change doubters
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 12:23:28 am »
"You can't talk about two sides when the other side doesn't have a foot in reality," said University of Illinois climate scientist Donald Wuebbles.

Right. Stop with the manmade global warming BS and start teaching some real science.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline verga

Re: School lessons targeted by climate change doubters
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 11:57:32 pm »
The tide been turing, but ever so slowly. About 18 years ago my wife was taking an environmental science class at a state college. He began the semester by asking how many ice ages had occurred in the last million or so years. He spent the next hour and a half dismantling the entire global warming hoax. My wife was the oldest person in the class by 4-6 years, she raised her hand and said "So you are saying that climate change is cyclical and based on a number of factors." He said yes and told her that she had jsut earned a A for the class since that was the main focus of the entire syllabus.   
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.