Author Topic: U.S. Posts Record Annual Trade Deficit  (Read 1558 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
U.S. Posts Record Annual Trade Deficit
« on: March 06, 2019, 04:45:14 pm »
by Paul Kiernan · March 6, 2019

The U.S. posted its widest monthly trade gap since 2008 in December and a record annual deficit in goods as sturdy economic growth underpinned higher spending by American consumers and businesses.

The international trade deficit in goods and services widened 19% in December from the prior month to a seasonally adjusted $59.8 billion, the Commerce Department said Wednesday. Economists surveyed by The Wall Street Journal had expected a $57.3 billion gap.

Over the course of 2018, Mr. Trump imposed tariffs on a range of goods that the U.S. imports from other countries, particularly China, in hopes of giving American producers a competitive edge. He publicly lambasted companies that outsourced jobs, renegotiated pacts with major U.S. trade partners like Mexico, Canada and South Korea, and rankled longtime European allies by deeming their steel and aluminum exports a threat to national security.

Still, the trade gap swelled 12% from 2017 to $621 billion.

Highlighting the limitations of Mr. Trump’s trade policies, the goods deficit widened most with China, the U.S.’s largest commercial partner and the main focus of White House efforts.

(excerpt)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/december-2018-trade-data-from-u-s-commerce-department-11551877494
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
U.S. Posts Record Annual Trade Deficit
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 04:52:40 pm »
Something people don't understand around the trade deficit hyperbole and propaganda- wealthier nations will always have a deficit with those less wealthy. We consume more than we produce, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I have a trade deficit with my grocery store. Does that mean I need to stop using them and start my own farm and ranch or is it my time value is such it is better spent in other areas than lower return production?

WASHINGTON—The U.S. posted its widest monthly trade gap since 2008 in December and a record annual deficit in goods as sturdy economic growth underpinned higher spending by American consumers...

....The international trade deficit in goods and services widened 19% in December from the prior month to a seasonally adjusted $59.8 billion, the Commerce Department said Wednesday. Economists surveyed by The Wall Street Journal had expected a $57.3 billion gap.....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/december-2018-trade-data-from-u-s-commerce-department-11551877494

Offline Mod2

Re: U.S. Posts Record Annual Trade Deficit
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 05:01:33 pm »
Topics merged.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 05:38:22 pm »
Gee, if only someone had warned us that this would happen when tariffs are raised.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 05:50:49 pm »
I have a trade deficit with my grocery store. Does that mean I need to stop using them and start my own farm and ranch or is it my time value is such it is better spent in other areas than lower return production?
If you follow that model, you also have to factor in that you have a trade surplus with your employer, more than enough to cover your trade deficit with the grocery store and other expenses.

The U.S. does not have an overall trade surplus. So not only does it have a trade deficit with the grocery store, it has a trade deficit with everyone else around them, losing money to each one. Eventually we'll run out of money or resources to trade.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 01:39:55 pm »
Eventually we'll run out of money or resources to trade.

That thought ignores the added value in work we do.  My wages do not equal my value to my client.  Refined exported product coming out of our refineries has greater value the imported crude oil.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 06:07:47 pm »
Correct.  In business,  1 + 1 + 1 = 5

As long as the creation of wealth exceeds our trade deficit, we are OK.  The irony here is how the proponents of protectionism argued that tariffs were necessary to reduce the trade deficit (as if that was a problem) when in fact their policy has actually increased it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 07:09:34 pm »
Correct.  In business,  1 + 1 + 1 = 5

As long as the creation of wealth exceeds our trade deficit, we are OK.  The irony here is how the proponents of protectionism argued that tariffs were necessary to reduce the trade deficit (as if that was a problem) when in fact their policy has actually increased it.

Yes.  Also imports versus exports is not the only flow of dollars in and out of the country.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 08:05:15 pm »
I just can't get worked up about trade deficits.  Probably because I don't believe in them.

The flow of money is going more in one direction than the other.  So what?  Money isn't really all that special.  Mostly it just makes trade easier, as each party in the trade do not need to demand an appropriate amount of the other party's stuff at the moment.

But they're taking all our money!  So, we're taking all their stuff.  Eventually that money will come home to buy our stuff.  Who is going to complain?  The worker who gets paid to make it, or the person who sells it?

And then there's this we/our nonsense.  When I buy something from a foreign company, I don't use our money, I use my money.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 08:21:44 pm »
Protectionism applying trade tariffs, is far more a political than an economic weapon.
It was always a major component of R policy, during their political ascendancy, 
being applied almost 100 X post Civil War till FDR.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 09:46:29 pm »
I just can't get worked up about trade deficits.  Probably because I don't believe in them.

The flow of money is going more in one direction than the other.  So what?  Money isn't really all that special.  Mostly it just makes trade easier, as each party in the trade do not need to demand an appropriate amount of the other party's stuff at the moment.

That's right - Money is just a way of keeping score.  :laugh:
If I am fat and happy, what do I care if the other guy has more than me?

If my end of a deal is made, what do I care what the other end got out of the deal?

Same thing goes, all the way up the ladder...
 :beer:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 03:55:18 am »
From below article, it appears 2018 ain't what's going on this year:

But even as Chinese economic officials try to stave off the effects of the U.S. tariffs, exports have swooned. Chinese exports to the United States were down 14.1 percent in the first two months of 2019 compared with the previous year. The falloff has dragged down the Chinese economy as a whole.
Trump's trade war puts China's once vaunted economy in real peril
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/mar/19/trump-trade-war-slows-china-economy-growth/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 05:52:49 am »
From below article, it appears 2018 ain't what's going on this year:

But even as Chinese economic officials try to stave off the effects of the U.S. tariffs, exports have swooned. Chinese exports to the United States were down 14.1 percent in the first two months of 2019 compared with the previous year. The falloff has dragged down the Chinese economy as a whole.
Trump's trade war puts China's once vaunted economy in real peril
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/mar/19/trump-trade-war-slows-china-economy-growth/

It's almost as if companies pulled forward their imports from China at the end of 2018 before the tariffs jumped sharply at the beginning of this year.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.