Author Topic: Poster linking Omar to 9/11 attack causes fight to break out at W.Va statehouse  (Read 1226 times)

Online corbe

Poster linking Omar to 9/11 attack causes fight to break out at W.Va statehouse

By Brooke Seipel - 03/01/19 06:55 PM EST

A poster comparing Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) to 9/11 terrorists on display at the West Virginia statehouse prompted a heated argument between lawmakers that resulted in a physical injury and one lawmaker's resignation, WSAZ reports.

The poster was reportedly put on display as part of a “Republicans Take the Rotunda” event. It shows a photo of the Twin Towers in flames with the words, " 'Never forget' - you said.." followed by, "I am the proof — you have forgotten," on top of a photo of Omar.

Democrats in the statehouse complained about the display and got into an explosive argument with the state House's sergeant at arms, Anne Lieberman, for allegedly making an anti-Muslim remark.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/432283-poster-comparing-omar-to-terrorists-causes-fight-to-break-out-at-w-va
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

Ilhan Omar
 âœ”  @IlhanMN 

No wonder why I am on the “Hitlist” of a domestic terrorist and “Assassinate Ilhan Omar” is written on my local gas stations.

Look no further, the GOP's anti-Muslim display likening me to a terrorist rocks in state capitols and no one is condemning them! https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/gop-s-anti-muslim-display-likening-rep-omar-terrorist-rocks-n978371 …

4:44 PM - Mar 1, 2019
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online mountaineer

I'm getting snippets of this story via Twitter (not interested enough to pursue it):
Amber Sipe   @WSAZAmber

#BREAKING: A doorkeeper is also being evaluated at the hospital right now after a delegate became angry about that poster and kicked the door in. That delegate, Mike Caputo, could be punished if the rules committee decides to take action.
5:50 PM - 1 Mar 2019
He's a Democrat.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — Tempers boiled over in West Virginia’s House of Delegates about a display outside the chamber depicting anti-Muslim images and statements.

The display prompted an angry scene in which Delegate Mike Caputo kicked open the door to the chamber during a prayer, injuring a doorkeeper, the sergeant at arms resigned, and a series of emotional floor speeches unfolded, including one by the House speaker.

“I’ve bluntly struggled with what even to say,” Speaker Roger Hanshaw, R-Clay, said Friday evening during a floor session.

“Where are we as a House and what possible example are we setting for the people of this state? What possible example are we as a body setting for those who sit at home and watch our sessions?” ...   
WV Metro News

This is all very strange ... and stupid!

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online rustynail

Islam is winning.

Online mountaineer

The poster was reportedly put on display as part of a “Republicans Take the Rotunda” event.
The WVGOP had nothing to do with it. Some fringe group put up the display, and removed it once the hubbub started. Of course, that won't stop the media from tying it to the Republicans.

Online mountaineer

A representative of the county GOP executive committees in WV explains what happened (posted on Facebook):
Cabell GOP
7 hrs ·

Today started out wonderful! The first of what was to be an annual WVGOP Day at the Capital. As Chair of the W.V. County Chairs, I was excited for the opportunity provided County Chairs throughout the state the opportunity to come and display some things that make their county stand out. They also had the opportunity to have breakfast & lunch in the Governor’s conference room & hear of the progress being made by several Cabinet members who came to speak (Cabell County chose to highlight the military heroes that have served from the Civil War until now).

All the display tables were by Party members except for one table by Brenda Arthur from ACT WV, who many of you are familiar with. She was not invited by myself or Melody Potter, but had heard about the event and asked the organizer if she could participate. She wasn’t even listed on our agenda. I know Brenda & I don’t believe she has a hateful bone in her body. Her research may not be popular and uncomfortable in some circles, but she does thorough investigating into some areas regarding resettlement.

Shortly after the House session began, I started getting texts from our Delegates asking what was going on out there where we were. I said nothing. All was quiet there, but the loud commotion had already begun in the House Chamber by the Democrats who had begun accusing the Republicans of being racists & saying Brenda said all Muslims were terrorists. She did not. It was based on a poster she had which I honestly did not see when I took a picture of her booth. (Check out the photo below).

Her right to free speech whether anyone found it distasteful or not, was squelched, as she was asked to take it down. She was cussed at and treated rudely by the Democrats. All of us were referred to as being racists and haters. NOT TRUE!

In the House, the first female Sargent of Arms was falsely accused of the same, and unfortunately resigned. One democrat delegate, Caputo, in his fit of ‘righteous indignation,’ kicked the door open and injured the Door Keeper who had to go to the hospital.

All of this was so unnecessary. They were up to their usual antics and saw an opportunity to try to make Republicans look bad, following the typical playbook of their counterparts in DC.

It was a GOP event, but the GOP did not have that booth. People/Democrats (& even some Republicans with an agenda), will and are trying to exploit today’s events.

What I do know about today is this:
a very good person planned this event with the best intentions; wonderful GOP peeps from around the state came to proudly showcase their counties; a woman who participated as a guest had her right to free speech threatened & was treated poorly; a very good woman sadly resigned her historic position; the Democrats & at least one Republican, (not a lawmaker), in my humble opinion acted despicably, and the Doorkeep was injured by Democratic Delegate behaving like a child throwing a tantrum.

We are NOT a Party of hate or intolerance.
Perhaps the Democrats should take a good look in the mirror before throwing out accusations.

Sincerely,
T-Anne See
CCREC Chair
WVGOP Chair of Chairs
I understand the injured person has broken ribs.

Online mountaineer

West Virginia Republican Party Statement on Capitol Display
Charleston, W.Va. - West Virginia Republican Party Chairwoman Melody Potter issued the following statement on the display at the State Capitol regarding Congresswoman Ilhan Omar.

The West Virginia Republican Party does not approve, condone, or support hate speech. One of the exhibitors at our West Virginia Republican Party Day at the Capitol displayed a sign that we did not approve, were not aware of before the day started, and we do not support. Upon learning about the sign, we immediately asked this exhibitor to remove the sign.

Our Party supports freedom of speech, but we do not endorse speech that advances intolerant and hateful views. We have shown that when West Virginians are united, when we respect each other, embrace our differences and focus on moving our state forward what we can accomplish.