Author Topic: “Eight million New Yorkers called him Marvelous Marv”  (Read 1205 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
A new SABR biographic offers an excuse to remember the amazing Met for whom this journal is named.
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2019/03/05/eight-million-new-yorkers-called-him-marvelous-marv/

Long enough after his baseball life ended, he carried a distinctive business card at the trucking company where he then worked in his native Tennessee. It was a foldover card, the inside of which showed his name, his contact information, and a once-familiar mug shot of himself in a Mets uniform. The top featured a trimmed oval cutout to show the mugshot below, an embossed sentence straight across the bottom saying it simply enough:

EIGHT MILLION NEW YORKERS CALLED HIM MARVELOUS MARV.

Marv Throneberry was the unlikeliest star on baseball’s unlikeliest team, after the Original Mets acquired him early in the 1962 season, becoming a Met in the first place because beloved Brooklyn veteran Gil Hodges went down with a knee injury, and the Mets were slightly desperate to put someone, anyone at first base with a blood count and a little long ball power who might be an improvement over anyone else on hand.

They had no clue that this once-glittering-enough Yankee prospect, who’d terrorised the AAA American Association with his home runs but couldn’t crack a Yankee lineup in which incumbent Moose Skowron owned first base with everything short of legal documents, would become so typical an Original Met that he’d replace the boos he got in his early days succeding Hodges to the kind of cheering the Beatles would inspire two years later.

“(B)ack then we were a more humorous and tolerant people,” wrote the New York Times‘s George Vecsey, upon Throneberry’s death of cancer at 60 in 1994, “and there was room to enjoy a team that couldn’t help doing ghastly things, and the baldish, mournful-looking first baseman who seemed to perform more ghastly deeds than anybody else.” That’s the problem with today’s tankers. They have as much good humour as a tax examiner.

Throneberry wasn’t a born Met, if you don’t count the initials of his full name, Marvin Eugene Throneberry. To get him from the Orioles the Mets had to send them the proverbial player to be named later, who turned out to be—in a model of Metsian maladjustment—the actual first Met, catcher Hobie Landrith, whom the Mets took from the Giants with the first pick of the National League expansion draft that formed the team.

“The first thing you have to have is a catcher. Because if you don’t have a catcher, you’re going to have a lot of passed balls and you’re going to be chasing the ball back to the screen all day,” said manager Casey Stengel, explaining the Mets picking first and picking Landrith. “Thirty-one year old catcher who looked twenty-eight and played like forty,” wrote Leonard Shecter, in Once Upon the Polo Grounds. “Hobie always said he was 5’8″. He probably was 5’6″. It wasn’t his fault he wasn’t big enough to play this game.” (Baseball Reference lists Landrith, still alive at 88, as 5’10”.)

Landrith was a perfect Original Met—until he wasn’t. On Opening Day he threw past second base trying to cut down a would-be base thief and committed three passed balls in 21 games. But earlier in May than the deal that brought Throneberry aboard, Landrith hit a game-ending two-run homer off Hall of Famer Warren Spahn. It was the first win in the Mets’ first doubleheader sweep. (The sweep also provided the first and last wins to Mets pitcher Craig Anderson, earning both in relief, before he experienced a streak of sixteen straight losses in sixteen straight decisions the rest of the season.)

Obviously Landrith had to go. He just didn’t have quite what it took to animate the Original Met faithful. “The Mets were different, they were counterculture, they were fun,” Casey Stengel’s biographer Robert W. Creamer would remember. “The worse they were, the more fun they were.”

Elder fans who returned to the Polo Grounds just because the National League was back in business at the Giants’ ancient but legendary wreck were supplanted readily by young fans for whom the Mets seemed far more human than the still-imperial, still-clueless Yankees. For the life of them the Bronx Bombers could never figure out why they almost got out-drawn at their stately coliseum by a newborn team who featured Abbott & Costello as a battery, the Four Marx Brothers covering the infield, the Three Stooges in the outfield, the Harlem Globetrotters on the bench, and the Keystone Kops in the bullpen.

And there was no more human Met than Throneberry, who’d gone from the Yankees to the Kansas City Athletics in the trade that made a Yankee out of Roger Maris. His flair for occasional dramatics showed up there, when he smashed a game-winning, pinch-hit grand slam to beat the Tigers one 1961 day, and drove in all the runs to beat the Twins on another. Except that the A’s had no place to put him regularly, either, and neither would the Orioles who acquired him in a postseason 1961 deal.

By the time the Mets got hold of him Throneberry was damaged goods, gone from a live teenage prospect to a 28-year-old semi-veteran who could swing the bat but whom rust reduced to playing either first base or right field as though he were impersonating a trash truck with two flat inner rear tires. “Marv Throneberry was holding down first base,” Jimmy Breslin wrote, in Can’t Anybody Here Play This Game? The Improbable Saga of the New York Mets’ First Year. “This is like saying Willie Sutton works at your bank.”

Which was probably frustrating to a still-young man who’d once led the American Association in fielding percentage, but destiny had far bigger plans for Throneberry. Somehow, some way, and with more than a little help from his Hall of Fame teammate Richie Ashburn (who first gave him his to-be-famous nickname), and from Shecter (then a writer for the New York Post, who took Ashburn’s sobriquet and ran with it), he became Marvelous Marv.

Ashburn took a special interest in the otherwise earnest Throneberry, using his wicked sense of humour to brace up his clubhouse locker partner. Around the same time, Throneberry began touching a real nerve among the younger Mets fans, the first sign being a literal sign, a banner hung from a Polo Grounds rail chanting, “Cranberry, Strawberry, We Love Throneberry.” Another group of young fans wore T-shirts spelling out “M-A-R-V” with the fifth showing an exclamation point; they once, famously, stood up in the wrong order, spelling out “V-R-A-M-!”

I’ve written and said in the past that where other bad baseball teams merely suck, the Original Mets sucked . . . with style. Throneberry was a style setter. You had only to see him in June 1962, on the same day during which Hall of Famer Lou Brock, then a Cubs rookie, jolted the Polo Grounds and his own teammates by blasting one into the center field bleachers some 465 feet from home plate. (Only two before him had ever hit one there: Joe Adcock with the Braves a decade earlier, and Luke Easter in a late 1940s Negro Leagues game.)

In the same game, Throneberry whacked one down the right field line and well past the bullpen for a standup triple, gunning it around the bases as if he had a subpoena on his trail. Then Hall of Famer Ernie Banks called for the ball and stepped on first, and Marvelous Marv was rung up. Before Stengel could consummate his mission to dismantle the first base umpire, coach Cookie Lavagetto intercepted him: “Forget it, Case, he didn’t touch second either.”

“Well,” Stengel muttered, “I know he touched third because I can damn well see him standing on it.”

The next Met batter, Charley Neal, ripped one off the facade of the upper deck for a home run. Neal wasn’t five steps up the first base line to run it out when Stengel stopped him cold. Then, the manager pointed to first base and stamped his foot. Only then did Neal continue running. Stengel pointed to each base and stamped his foot likewise, until Neal crossed the plate. The Ol’ Perfesser wasn’t taking chances.

Like the character actor lost among a sea of secondary cast who steals the scene and the show right before the final curtain, one day in the following month Throneberry pinch hit against the Cardinals in the bottom of the ninth and won the game with a two-run homer. And in August, he saw and raised in a somewhat surreal game against the Pirates.

Throneberry was actually on the first base coaching line, after third base coach Solly Hemus was ejected during an argument with an ump, Lavagetto was moved to coach third, and another former Yankee, Gene Woodling, also an acquisition from the Orioles, went out to coach first. Until Stengel needed him to pinch hit and sent Throneberry out to the coaching line. (To rapturous cheering, let the record show.)

Then the Mets scored one and had first and second with two out in the bottom of the ninth against the Pirates’ relief legend Elroy Face. The Polo Grounds faithful chanted “We want Marv! We want Marv!” Stengel gave the people what they wanted and Throneberry gave them better than that, hitting one 450 feet into the right center field seats for the game. The Polo Grounds went absolutely nuclear.

There was no less likely star in baseball, in New York or elsewhere, than this guy who looked like your friendly neighbourhood tavern barkeep, but 1962 was his first real and last ever baseball hurrah. After a 1963 contract holdout Throneberry found himself yet again having to buck others at first base, particularly two youths, acquisition Tim Harkness (from the Dodgers) and a teenager named Ed Kranepool, whom the Mets signed with a hefty bonus in 1962 right out of high school.

Marvelous Marv got only fourteen at-bats and two hits when he was sent to the Mets’ then-AAA farm at Buffalo. He stayed there for all 1963 but retired in early 1964—by which time the hundred-plus fan letters he’d once received per day was down to a reported two. (Now and then, during 1963, Polo Grounds fans would hang banners urging, “Bring back Marvelous Marv!”) He returned to his native Tennessee and became a Memphis beer distributor before going into the trucking business, whence the business card described earlier.

But somehow, some way, he was unforgotten. In the 1970s he became famous all over again in the fabled Miller Lite commercials featuring former sports stars. Throneberry appeared amidst some of sports’ greats and mere legends, invariably ending his spots with, “I still don’t know why they asked me to do this commercial.”

“At the very least,” Vecsey wrote, “it meant that one of the hip fans from the Polo Grounds had made it to Madison Avenue and was using his 1962 Met-type humor to honor Marvin Eugene Throneberry, who was, in his own weird way, a star.” Marvelous Marv was a star all over again.

Throneberry kept a photograph in his locker, well displayed, of a rather comely young lady in a bikini, and his teammates, including his setup man Ashburn, couldn’t help noticing and ogling, to Throneberry’s quiet amusement. Then, one afternoon, taking pre-game practise, Ashburn saw the woman sitting in the Wrigley Field field boxes. “Marv, you’ve got to see this,” Ashburn hollered to Throneberry.

Throneberry ambled over, and Ashburn pointed the woman out. “That’s the girl in your locker,” Ashburn said.

Throneberry grinned. “That’s my wife,” he said.

Ashburn’s jaw hit the turf promptly.

(Dixie Throneberry died in 1981; the Throneberrys had three daughters and two sons, with eleven grandchildren and fifteen great-grandchildren.)

“Throneberry is the people’s choice,” Ashburn once told Shecter, “and you know why? He typifies the Mets. He’s either great or terrible.” Throneberry happened to be standing next to him. “But you better not get too good,” Ashburn cracked. “Just drop a pop fly once in awhile.”

Throneberry dropped his own jaw twice at season’s end. The first drop was over being given a big cabin-cruising boat because it turned out he hit the O on an outfield fence sign promoting Howard Clothes more than any other Met. It was bad enough that he lived about thirty miles from the nearest river at the time. The second jaw drop came when a Met legal adviser informed Throneberry he had to declare the boat on his income tax—because he’d “earned” the boat.

“You think the fish will come out of the water to boo me this winter?” Throneberry asked.

Not a chance. He had an occasionally powerful bat and a sense of humour about himself, and they took him places enough in life, including the sweet advertising gig where he earned more than baseball, beer distribution, or trucking ever paid him in a year, seemingly. He was a countercultural anti-hero before the counterculture became serious to a dangerous and conformist fault about itself.

“Going to work just two times a month and making a great living,” Throneberry once told the Times of the Miller Lite spots and magazine ads. He’d also moved to the more waters-adjacent Fisherville, where his former major league brother Faye also lived. “I can fish four or five days a week. I’ve got five boats and five motors. I don’t have to worry about things I used to worry about. I wouldn’t trade this for anything.”

Writing his story for the Society for American Baseball Research’s Bio Project, which provided the excuse to write of him now, Alan Raylesberg exhumes a commentary from Throneberry’s oldest son, Jody:

He must have been special to have over 5000 fans wear shirts with VRAM on them. He truly loved his fans. I have watched him sit around hours on end and read fan mail and sign and return them to his fans. In the last days of his life when suffering from terminal cancer he would make it a point to sign as many cards as he could and have them mailed back out. That is the Marvelous Marv we all knew and loved.

And that’s also the Marvelous Marv for whom this journal happens to be named.

Marvelous Marv, one of the Miller
Lite All-Stars.

-------------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@AllThatJazzZ
@AmericanaPrime
@Applewood
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@Freya
@GrouchoTex
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@SZonian
@TomSea
@truth_seeker

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: “Eight million New Yorkers called him Marvelous Marv”
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 09:40:14 pm »
 888high58888    :beer:    888high58888
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline godblessRonaldReagan

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 09:53:49 pm »
 :amen:
I, for one, welcome our feline overlords

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 09:57:51 pm »
888high58888    :beer:    888high58888
@DCPatriot

:beer:

Story about that Brock bomb---Brock was still a green rookie. When he gunned it around the bases and saw the second base umpire giving the traditional home run signal, the kid in his God-fool innocence thought it meant he had a shot at an inside-the-park home run. He had no idea what he'd done until, in the middle of the Cubs mobbing him in front of the dugout, Ron Santo hollered at him, "Did you see where that ball went? Man, I needed binoculars!"

Now get this: the following day, the Braves came to town to play the Mets---and Hank Aaron blasted one to just about the same spot Brock's bomb went!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 07:18:54 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 11:57:25 pm »
Marv had a brother named Faye who played in the majors as well with similar indifferent results.
Marv's lifetime BA was .237 while Faye's was .236. That's what I call brotherly love....... they both tried to hit for the same lifetime BA.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 12:23:56 am »
Marv had a brother named Faye who played in the majors as well with similar indifferent results.
Marv's lifetime BA was .237 while Faye's was .236. That's what I call brotherly love....... they both tried to hit for the same lifetime BA.
@goatprairie
I guess Faye missed out on charisma.  wink777

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 06:51:16 pm »
I liked it, nice job @EasyAce .

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 07:09:48 pm »
...the kid in his God-fool innocence thought it meant he had a shot at an inside-the-ark home run..."

I once knew a guy named Noah who hit one of those. Scared the bejeezus out of the elephants.  wink777

Seriously: that was a terrific story about one of the good guys in baseball, not because he was all that good as a player of course, but because he helped turn more than a few of us dopey kids into lifelong fans of the game.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 07:23:55 pm »
I once knew a guy named Noah who hit one of those. Scared the bejeezus out of the elephants.  wink777
@andy58-in-nh
I'm glad you caught my little typo, but if you ever saw the Polo Grounds it could have passed for Noah's Ark even if it was shaped like a horseshoe . . .

Notice the subway yard next to the old wreck. For a kid like me with a burgeoning passion for baseball and a thing for the old New York subways (I'm native to the Bronx), that was paradise doubled, even if the Polo Grounds is still the only ballpark I ever saw where the box seats were fashioned with dangling chains and not rails. Or, it would have been if the subway yard was still there by the time I got to the old wreck. ;)

Seriously: that was a terrific story about one of the good guys in baseball, not because he was all that good as a player of course, but because he helped turn more than a few of us dopey kids into lifelong fans of the game.
As it happens, the very first major league game I was ever taken to in person was the game in which Marvelous Marv blasted the long pinch homer against Elroy Face.

I also have a miniature ceramic replication of the Polo Grounds that I keep as a paperweight on my desk in my little home office. Right next to the one I have of Fenway Park.

(For those who don't know, I've been a Met fan since the day they were born and a Red Sox fan since the 1967 pennant race. Want to see my class-A drug bills from October 1986? ;) )
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 07:35:57 pm by EasyAce »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 07:50:55 pm »
(For those who don't know, I've been a Met fan since the day they were born and a Red Sox fan since the 1967 pennant race. Want to see my class-A drug bills from October 1986? ;) )

I can only imagine... I had somewhat mixed allegiances at the time, dating from the fact that my father was a New England native who used to go to Boston Red Sox and Braves games as a kid, while my mother grew up living between the Jersey Shore and the Bronx, where she lived a stone's throw from the old Yankee Stadium. My maternal grandfather used to tell me about walking back and forth to Yankees and Giants games, before the latter team made tracks for the West Coast, and before the old Polo Grounds were bulldozed in favor of an Urban Ugly apartment complex.   
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 08:58:22 pm »
I can only imagine... I had somewhat mixed allegiances at the time, dating from the fact that my father was a New England native who used to go to Boston Red Sox and Braves games as a kid, while my mother grew up living between the Jersey Shore and the Bronx, where she lived a stone's throw from the old Yankee Stadium. My maternal grandfather used to tell me about walking back and forth to Yankees and Giants games, before the latter team made tracks for the West Coast, and before the old Polo Grounds were bulldozed in favor of an Urban Ugly apartment complex.
This shot taken circa 1943 shows where you actually could walk back and forth between the original Yankee Stadium and the Polo Grounds . . .

Another view . . .

The Giants sold the Polo Grounds to New York City for the housing project in question, yet when the Mets opened for business:

a) The city agreed to rent the ballpark to the Mets while Shea Stadium's construction was completed. (What became Shea Stadium was, of course, the multipurpose stadium New York's too-longtime planning/building czar Robert Moses tried to jam down Walter O'Malley's throat. [Prompting O'Malley's once famous retort, "If we played in Queens, we wouldn't be the Brooklyn Dodgers anymore."] Exactly why Moses never thought of the Giants moving there---since the Giants did need a new ballpark but couldn't afford to build one the way O'Malley could and wanted to, and since the Giants didn't have explicit borough identification the way the Dodgers did---has never been known.)

b) The Mets also had to pay fees to the Giants because the Giants actually still owned the tower lights, the scoreboards, and the seats!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 09:00:51 pm by EasyAce »

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 10:33:03 pm »
@andy58-in-nh
I'm glad you caught my little typo, but if you ever saw the Polo Grounds it could have passed for Noah's Ark even if it was shaped like a horseshoe . . .

Notice the subway yard next to the old wreck. For a kid like me with a burgeoning passion for baseball and a thing for the old New York subways (I'm native to the Bronx), that was paradise doubled, even if the Polo Grounds is still the only ballpark I ever saw where the box seats were fashioned with dangling chains and not rails. Or, it would have been if the subway yard was still there by the time I got to the old wreck. ;)
As it happens, the very first major league game I was ever taken to in person was the game in which Marvelous Marv blasted the long pinch homer against Elroy Face.

I also have a miniature ceramic replication of the Polo Grounds that I keep as a paperweight on my desk in my little home office. Right next to the one I have of Fenway Park.

Where did people park their cars at the PGs. At the top of the photo on the bluff I notice a lot of cars on what looks like an expressway or street. Are those parked cars, or are they moving vehicles?

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 11:03:55 pm »
Where did people park their cars at the PGs. At the top of the photo on the bluff I notice a lot of cars on what looks like an expressway or street. Are those parked cars, or are they moving vehicles?
@goatprairie
A lot of the cars up there are parked cars. In those years, you could also reach the Polo Grounds by the 9th Avenue line (once nicknamed the Polo Grounds Shuttle, in fact), which also connected the Polo Grounds to the Jerome Avenue/River Avenue el (the number 4 train that still runs today) that went past Yankee Stadium becoming a subway south of the park and running all the way up to Woodlawn Road to the north, including Kingsbridge Road a few blocks down from where I lived from birth to age 7.5, in fact.

Here's a shot of the 9th Avenue el running behind the Polo Grounds, where you see the tracks turn to cross the Harlem River toward the Yankee Stadium area . . .

Those cars are legend in New York---the Low V cars the IRT ran for several decades (I remember riding them with my parents when I was a kid). Four of them have been restored completely and now make occasional fan trips out of the New York Transit Museum, including runs on the Jerome Avenue/River Avenue El past Yankee Stadium:

A Low V car's interior (the restorations have included vintage ads that were displayed inside the cars when they served full-time):

There were three series of Low Vs (for low voltage) but these, made by American Car & Foundry and Pullman, are the ones New York people remember best, including me. They were built between 1916-1925 and were in regular IRT service until between 1966 and 1968. Starting around 1963, the Low Vs were used primarily on the ancient Third Avenue El in the Bronx which terminated at Gun Hill Road; they were the last Low V-inclusive trains used on that el before it was closed and taken down in the 1970s.