Author Topic: Issues With Wind Farms  (Read 3873 times)

rangerrebew

Issues With Wind Farms
« on: March 05, 2019, 02:42:04 pm »
Issues With Wind Farms

By Jack Dini ——  March 1, 2019

Issues With Wind FarmsThe International Energy Agency released data that revealed the percentage of total global primary energy demand provided by wind and solar is 1.1 percent. 1 Hardly the kind of number derived from wind and solar lobbies.

Another report confirms what should have been obvious from the start: the more ‘variable’ wind and solar are introduced into any electricity system, the more they make it both more expensive and less reliable.

World energy demand has been growing at about 2 percent a year for nearly 40 years. Between 2013 and 2014, using International Energy Agency data, it grew just under 2,000 terawatt-hours. If wind turbines were to supply all of that growth but no more, how many would need to be built each year asks Matt Ridley. The answer is nearly 350,000, since a two-megwatt turbine can produce about 0.005 terawatt-hours per annum. That’s one-and-a-half times as many as have been built in the world since governments started pouring consumer funds in this industry in the early 2000s. Ridley adds, “At a density of, very roughly, 50 acres per megawatt, typical for wind farms, that many turbines would require a land area greater than the British Isles, including Ireland, every year. If we kept this up for 50 years, we would have covered every square mile of a land area the size of Russia with wind farms. Remember, this would be just to fulfill the new demand for energy, not to displace the vast existing supply of energy from fossil fuels, which currently supply 80 percent of global energy needs.” 2

https://canadafreepress.com/article/issues-with-wind-farms

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Issues With Wind Farms
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 12:43:39 am »
Almost unbelievable anyone on earth is interested in investing in an enterprise like wind energy that costs 150 times the cost to deliver an equivalent amount of nuclear power to someone.

And offshore wind farms sure don't seem to be the ticket if one has to major overhauls every 18 months.

Sheer lunacy.

In the free market power selection we have available in Texas, I use ONLY companies that minimize wind and solar.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 10:47:39 am »
Wind power causes climate change (downwind). Discontinue further construction.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 11:17:30 am »
Wind power causes climate change (downwind). Discontinue further construction.
Consider the prevailing winds are part and parcel of the thermal balance of the planet, and disrupt those air currents, sapping energy from them over 30% of the planet's surface, it would have to have effects on regional, and eventually, global climate.

More unintended consequences... :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 11:38:05 am »
Almost unbelievable anyone on earth is interested in investing in an enterprise like wind energy that costs 150 times the cost to deliver an equivalent amount of nuclear power to someone.

And offshore wind farms sure don't seem to be the ticket if one has to major overhauls every 18 months.

Sheer lunacy.

In the free market power selection we have available in Texas, I use ONLY companies that minimize wind and solar.

Which just happen to be the companies which are most efficient at producing and transmitting electricity without government subsidies. 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 01:13:18 pm »
Consider the prevailing winds are part and parcel of the thermal balance of the planet, and disrupt those air currents, sapping energy from them over 30% of the planet's surface, it would have to have effects on regional, and eventually, global climate.

More unintended consequences... :shrug:
Yes, except that falls to some degree in the hysteria of global warming i.e - man is capable of changing the planet (although it is powerless to stop one tornado from wrecking destruction)
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 02:30:45 pm »
Yes, except that falls to some degree in the hysteria of global warming i.e - man is capable of changing the planet (although it is powerless to stop one tornado from wrecking destruction)
We change the planet in small ways, most of which are completely insignificant. We're just liberating energy already stored here, and for the most part, using it to do work. We aren't altering active systems, except to release a little energy, much of which goes off into space.

But we aren't interfering with or sapping energy from systems which transfer heat from the tropics to the poles, and that is something unprecedented.

There have been huge releases of energy on the planet before from cosmic impacts, and wildfires which burned enormous areas, but those have been absorbed and mitigated by the very air circulation systems that are being tapped for energy, and removing energy from those systems may well interfere with their ability to redistribute heat on the planet, affecting climate.
YMMV

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 04:10:37 pm »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline verga

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 11:21:00 pm »
Personally I am in favor of an "All of the above" approach. Wind, Solar, Geothermal, Hydroelectric, Nuclear, you name it give it a shot.
But and here is the big but, NO PUBLIC FUNDING  You think you got an idea that will "save the planet" go ahead and convince people to fund you and go for it. Henry Ford, Fulton, Edison, Bell... None of them had funding from the government and each of them was able to change the world. I remember when Bush sr. told the people interested in HDTV to pound sand when they came to him to ask for some scratch to fund their project. 3y ears later flat screen HDTV.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 12:15:41 am »
Personally I am in favor of an "All of the above" approach. Wind, Solar, Geothermal, Hydroelectric, Nuclear, you name it give it a shot.
But and here is the big but, NO PUBLIC FUNDING  You think you got an idea that will "save the planet" go ahead and convince people to fund you and go for it. Henry Ford, Fulton, Edison, Bell... None of them had funding from the government and each of them was able to change the world. I remember when Bush sr. told the people interested in HDTV to pound sand when they came to him to ask for some scratch to fund their project. 3y ears later flat screen HDTV.

I like how you think.   888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 12:20:28 am »
Yep. And put it in their own back yards.

C S Lewis

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 01:57:51 am »
I believe you are forgetting the environmental impact of each.  Regardless of whether it does not come from public support, bad proven environmental practices should not be done on any type of energy venture.

Many years ago that oil companies disposed of salt water when oil and gas was produced in creeks and other waterways.  Bad practice that now is never accepted.

Right now, wind farms and solar farms kill many thousands of birds, bats and insects.  Imagine what these large solar farms can do to a thriving bee population.  The environmental footprint for solar and wind to produce an equivalent amount of power compared to, say natural gas, devastates the land.  So does biofuels.

So I do not agree with your statement that All should be allowed to compete equally with the sole criteria being equal economic footing aka no govt support.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 02:15:37 am »
The farmer has an inherent right to do what he will on his own property.
And the retiree has a right to complain about his imperfect view.

But really, a pox on em both.

It doesn't matter if you pave farmland with solar panels or useless 2 acre subdivisions, you are still paving farmlands.

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2019, 03:24:16 am »

It doesn't matter if you pave farmland with solar panels or useless 2 acre subdivisions, you are still paving farmlands.
He has no right if it impacts his neighbors adversely enough to change the qualify of life.  Things like noise or other types of pollution come to mind.

Do you think a bee farmer should have some right to object to the installation of all those incineration devices called solar panels next to his hives?

Or how about visual pollution like several 200 ft windmills erected alongside his house lot?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2019, 04:03:22 am »
He has no right if it impacts his neighbors adversely enough to change the qualify of life.  Things like noise or other types of pollution come to mind.

Do you think a bee farmer should have some right to object to the installation of all those incineration devices called solar panels next to his hives?

Or how about visual pollution like several 200 ft windmills erected alongside his house lot?

I think you need to find an HOA.

Visual pollution... like cars up on blocks and an un-mown yard?

Noise and other pollution...
What about the poor souls that happen to live withing a mile of a pig farm? or next door to a chicken operation?

Where are you drawing the lines?

Offline verga

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 07:26:23 pm »

Spoken like a true liberal NIMBY!
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 09:15:13 pm »
I think you need to find an HOA.

Visual pollution... like cars up on blocks and an un-mown yard?

Noise and other pollution...
What about the poor souls that happen to live withing a mile of a pig farm? or next door to a chicken operation?

Where are you drawing the lines?
It's called common sense and it abounds by the bushel-load in most folks.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 09:22:00 pm »

Really?  Like building a substandard damn for his pig-waste pool?  Nobody has any right to require that safety standards be met up front?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 09:29:33 pm »
Issues With Wind Farms

The envirowhackos also remain mysteriously quiet about the millions of birds that are killed by these monstrosities.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 09:34:51 pm »
The envirowhackos also remain mysteriously quiet about the millions of birds that are killed by these monstrosities.
Protected birds, at that. Eagles, other Raptors, etc.--the kind an oil company can't build a road near their nests, and are required to survey those road routes for any evidence that there may be nesting sites (even just ones which haveen't been used in years) and re-route the access road to avoid.

It's the thing of what do you do when you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant?

They have their priorities, and the whole global warming oil/coal bad wind/sunshine good thingy they can't let go of.

Neither facts nor logic prevail against their new religion.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2019, 10:10:36 pm »
Really?  Like building a substandard damn for his pig-waste pool?  Nobody has any right to require that safety standards be met up front?
That is one of the stupidest analogies I have read in a while. How does it benefit the farmer to build substandard anything. It will just have to be rebuilt later, probably at a higher cost.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2019, 10:24:42 pm »
That is one of the stupidest analogies I have read in a while. How does it benefit the farmer to build substandard anything. It will just have to be rebuilt later, probably at a higher cost.

I dunno.  Perhaps you should be asking the farmers who have built substandard damns that subsequently collapsed and inundated their neighbors in pig-shit. 

The threat of being inundated in pig-shit seems to me to be a pretty good basis for the neighbors sticking their noses over the fence to make sure it’s built correctly the first time.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2019, 11:12:41 pm »
I dunno.  Perhaps you should be asking the farmers who have built substandard damns that subsequently collapsed and inundated their neighbors in pig-shit. 

The threat of being inundated in pig-shit seems to me to be a pretty good basis for the neighbors sticking their noses over the fence to make sure it’s built correctly the first time.
:silly:

If the neighbors are sticking their noses over the fence to check out a pig shit containment, they will get what they deserve. Anyone who has been near pig shit knows what I am talking about.

C S Lewis

Bill Cipher

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2019, 11:18:03 pm »
:silly:

If the neighbors are sticking their noses over the fence to check out a pig shit containment, they will get what they deserve. Anyone who has been near pig shit knows what I am talking about.

They deserve being buried in pig-shit?

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2019, 11:34:23 pm »

Anyone who builds a home within 10 miles of a pig farm deserves everything that happens to them......