Author Topic: What's in your weed? In some cases, pesticides, mercury or lead could be bundled with bud.  (Read 1303 times)

Offline corbe

What's in your weed? In some cases, pesticides, mercury or lead could be bundled with bud.

By  Joce Sterman  and Alex Brauer

6 Hours Ago

WASHINGTON (CIRCA) — With legalized marijuana growing across the country, there's a big demand from pot consumers to know what's in the cannabis they're using. But when it comes to contaminants from pesticides to chemicals and even heavy metals like lead and mercury, what's tested and what's considered acceptable depends on where you live.

Emily Atkin is a label-reader. She grew up that way. And now that she's a legal marijuana user, she wants to know as much about the weed she smokes as the organic food she puts in her body. But the product labels on recreational pot in Washington, D.C., where she lives, don't say much. That's because although possession of small amounts of recreational marijuana is legal in the nation's capital, there's no regulation of the products and no testing of recreational cannabis. No one is required to provide information about what's in it.

"I would love to know where this was grown. I would love to know who grew it. I would love to know if there are pesticides used on it," Atkin said. "I know that other places have testing of their products and they can be assured of things that I just can’t, and I do find it a bit unfair."

<..snip..>

https://www.circa.com/story/2019/03/04/cannabis-country/whats-in-your-weed-in-some-cases-pesticides-mercury-or-lead-could-be-bundled-with-bud
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

We've come a long way from Nixon/Ford spraying paraquat on Mexican pot.

Paraquat Pot: The True Story Of How The US Government Tried To Kill Weed Smokers With A Toxic Chemical In The 1980s

Jerome London
Updated August 19, 2018

When people talk about “killer weed,” that’s typically understood to mean really good weed. But due to US government policies that started in the 1970s and extended through most of the 1980s, marijuana fields were being sprayed with a chemical that can actually kill you.

The chemical, known as “paraquat,” is an herbicide sprayed over marijuana fields in Mexico in the 1970s—with the aid of US money and US-provided helicopters—and over marijuana fields in Georgia in the 1980s under the direction of the Reagan Administration.

But normally, anything poisonous enough to kill plants is also toxic enough to kill humans, and that is the case with paraquat.

<..snip..>

https://thoughtcatalog.com/jeremy-london/2018/08/paraquat-pot/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline rustynail

Emily Atkin is a label-reader.  And trouble maker.

Offline corbe

Only a Stoner would find Label Reading an interesting past time.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
That's why you grow your own.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
People should start demanding organic pot.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Back in my farmland days a chemical company salesman came knocking. One of his products was Paraquat. A guy I worked with told him he had friends who had gotten sick from that stuff.

The salesman told him "they shouldn't be drinking it".

My friend showed him the door.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
That's why you grow your own.

Good strategy. I would add: Be discreet. Show nobody. Tell nobody. Sell to nobody.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln