Author Topic: Trump directed Gary Cohn to pressure DOJ to block AT&T-Time Warner deal  (Read 1842 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump directed Gary Cohn to pressure DOJ to block AT&T-Time Warner deal: report
By Avery Anapol - 03/04/19 08:44 AM EST

President Trump reportedly directed his former economic adviser Gary Cohn to pressure the Justice Department to block the AT&T-Time Warner merger, according to a report in The New Yorker.

In an explosive new investigation into the relationship between the Trump White House and Fox News, the magazine reported new details that contradict the administration’s assurances that Trump had no role in the Justice Department’s lawsuit trying to stop the merger.

Citing an unidentified “well-informed source,” the New Yorker reported that in summer 2017, months before the DOJ filed its antitrust lawsuit, Trump called Cohn and then-chief of staff John Kelly into the Oval Office and told them that he wanted to “make sure” the Justice Department’s lawsuit seeking to block the merger was filed.

“I’ve been telling Cohn to get this lawsuit filed and nothing’s happened!” Trump told Kelly, according to the report. “I’ve mentioned it 50 times. And nothing’s happened. I want to make sure it’s filed. I want that deal blocked!”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/432431-trump-directed-gary-cohn-to-pressure-justice-dept-to-block-att-time
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/432434-conways-husband-unquestionably-grounds-for-impeachment-if-trump
Conway's husband: 'Grounds for impeachment' if Trump directed Cohn to block AT&T-Time Warner merger
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
A President trying to get the DOJ to do something is impeachable?
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I think I'll wait for the THIRD Hill article before I comment.   888mouth

Only for a President named Trump.

Offline dfwgator

Good.

This consolidation of media needs to stop.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Citing an unidentified “well-informed source,” the New Yorker reported...

*****rollingeyes*****

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

A bombshell New Yorker report detailing the relationship between President Donald Trump and Fox News contains a series of stunning details — including reporting that Trump attempted to wield the Justice Department against CNN.
According to the New Yorker‘s Jane Mayer, back in the summer of 2017, a few months before the Justice Department filed suit to stop AT&T’s acquisition of CNN’s parent company Time Warner, Trump ordered his chief economic adviser Gary Cohn to intervene.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-reportedly-tried-to-have-doj-block-att-time-warner-merger-to-punish-cnn-for-coverage/

Offline Mod2

Topics merged.

Offline skeeter

Only for a President named Trump.

Is there anything new in this story? The media covered the hell out of it last year.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Trump directed Gary Cohn to pressure DOJ to block AT&T-Time Warner deal
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 04:04:14 pm »
Good.

This consolidation of media needs to stop.

That is my opinion, and the position is supported by our nations history.

Railroads, banks, oil companies were broken up.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 04:07:23 pm »
Is there anything new in this story? The media covered the hell out of it last year.

No.  We're in the "throw the Jello against the wall again and see it if sticks this time" phase of fake news.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 04:22:38 pm »

If it’s for the purpose of punishing political adversaries, yes. Remember how we wanted Obama impeached for using the Treasury Dept and IRS against Tea Party organizations?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 04:28:52 pm »

If it’s for the purpose of punishing political adversaries, yes. Remember how we wanted Obama impeached for using the Treasury Dept and IRS against Tea Party organizations?

The two instances have nothing in common at all.

Offline edpc

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 04:36:17 pm »
The two instances have nothing in common at all.

Yes, they do. In either case, the abuse of authority would deny the respective organizations their rights to the First Amendment.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 04:38:54 pm »

Yes, they do. In either case, the abuse of authority would deny the respective organizations their rights to the First Amendment.

What does attempting to block a mega merger between two already gigantic corporations have to do with the first amendment, much less compare with ordering the IRS to intimidate individuals because of their political bent?

Offline edpc

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 04:52:39 pm »
What does attempting to block a mega merger between two already gigantic corporations have to do with the first amendment, much less compare with ordering the IRS to intimidate individuals because of their political bent?

The first is a media organization he dislikes, so that should be obvious. It’s similar to the threats he makes against the NBC broadcast license, from time to time. The second dealt with groups engaging in political expression, which was being hampered by the audits of their status.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 04:56:30 pm »

OK, then, let's follow that.  Obastard and Lerner got off scot-free on the charge of using the IRS to punish the TEA Party.  So...to be consistent, this allegation deserves the same treatment.

For the record, I'm against either of these actions, both Trump's and Obastard's, even though I agree they are not the same thing, for the reasons @skeeter listed.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 04:57:33 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 05:04:57 pm »
OK, then, let's follow that.  Obastard and Lerner got off scot-free on the charge of using the IRS to punish the TEA Party.  So...to be consistent, this allegation deserves the same treatment.

For the record, I'm against either of these actions, both Trump's and Obastard's, even though I agree they are not the same thing, for the reasons @skeeter listed.

Keeping in mind, that we don't even know if this one occurred.

Offline edpc

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 05:16:08 pm »

Fantastic. Guys who kill their wives should just use the ‘well, OJ got away with it’ defense.

The IRS harassment was clearly a 1A violation. There’s actually been a lawsuit filed over the other in SDNY, citing 1A and the merger, among other instances. As far as I can tell, it’s still active, since I’ve found no results on a ruling or dismissal.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/5002912-PEN-v-Trump-Complaint.html

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2019, 05:24:45 pm »
Keeping in mind, that we don't even know if this one occurred.

A lying liar (convicted of lying to Congress and is scheduled to go to the Greybar Hotel) told Congress it happened. 

Seems legit.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2019, 05:26:58 pm »

Fantastic. Guys who kill their wives should just use the ‘well, OJ got away with it’ defense.

The IRS harassment was clearly a 1A violation. There’s actually been a lawsuit filed over the other in SDNY, citing 1A and the merger, among other instances. As far as I can tell, it’s still active, since I’ve found no results on a ruling or dismissal.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/5002912-PEN-v-Trump-Complaint.html

It sounds to me like a corporation should get a free pass as long as a politician doesn't like them.  Call it, "Immunity."
I will NOT comply.

Offline edpc

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 05:30:52 pm »
It sounds to me like a corporation should get a free pass as long as a politician doesn't like them.  Call it, "Immunity."

The only criteria for the merger being stopped is whether it violates antitrust law. So far, two lower courts have said no.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 05:34:39 pm »
They have Got Him now!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2019, 05:39:18 pm »

The only criteria for the merger being stopped is whether it violates antitrust law. So far, two lower courts have said no.

I'd go with the courts on this one. 
I will NOT comply.