Author Topic: Bolton on whether Kim was responsible for Warmbier's death: 'My opinion doesn't matter'  (Read 1030 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Bolton on whether Kim was responsible for Warmbier's death: 'My opinion doesn't matter'
By Michael Burke - 03/03/19 09:50 AM EST

Bolton on whether Kim was responsible for Warmbier's death: 'My opinion doesn't matter'

National security adviser John Bolton said Sunday that his opinion "doesn't matter" when asked if he believes North Korean leader Kim Jong Un was responsible for the death of Otto Warmbier, the American college student who died after being imprisoned there.

“My opinion doesn’t matter," Bolton said during an interview on CNN's "State of the Union" when pressed on the subject by host Jake Tapper.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/432362-bolton-says-my-opinion-doesnt-matter-when-asked-if-he-believes-kim
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Stupid media games, Bolton's wise to refuse to play.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
“People in the media seems to have the impression that administration officials kind of comment from the distance as if I were a Fox News contributor, as I used to be I don’t do that anymore. I give my advice to the president. I give my opinions to the president. He makes up his own mind. He’s the president," Bolton said.

The difference being, when he gave his opinion as a commentator, he’s basing it on his past work and potentially, some sourcing from his government contacts. However, in this role, he’s forming opinions on direct source intel, from multiple agencies. So, this is at least the third time the president has publicly disagreed with his own handpicked advisors, in favor of an adversary and/or despot.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 03:58:50 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Mesaclone

“People in the media seems to have the impression that administration officials kind of comment from the distance as if I were a Fox News contributor, as I used to be I don’t do that anymore. I give my advice to the president. I give my opinions to the president. He makes up his own mind. He’s the president," Bolton said.

The difference being, when he gave his opinion as a commentator, he’s basing it on his past work and potentially, some sourcing from his government contacts. However, in this role, he’s forming opinions on direct source intel, from multiple agencies. So, this is at least the third time the president has publicly disagreed with his own handpicked advisors, in favor of an adversary and/or despot.

You're being ridiculous. Bolton and Trump aren't disagreeing...they both know Kim was responsible for Warmbier's death. But in a diplomatic negotiation it would be the height of stupidity to assert that just when you are making progress towards a lasting and denuclearized peace with North Korea. The lib media knows this as well, and they are hoping to force the President and/or his diplomats to criticize Kim on this issue...hoping it will screw up the President's peace talks. As with the wall, the Left/Media simply doesn't want the President to succeed...even when success means peace, prosperity and potential freedom for millions of people. So, they try to sabotage the process...or as a consolation prize...make the President look bad as if he is naive enough to genuinely think Kim knew nothing of Warmbier.

You seem to have fallen...hook, line AND sinker...for this Lefty effort to disrupt the peace talks. Why is
it that you so easily swallow the media garbage aimed at the President?
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Stupid media games, Bolton's wise to refuse to play.

Got to disagree.  The SOS should have an opinion when an American civillion citizen is murdered on what constitutes an enemy combant's soil.

Not sure of the intent of the content of the comment  Whether he was flippant, or chose not to contridict Trump....

I understand the kid had no business being over there, but still.........
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
You're being ridiculous. Bolton and Trump aren't disagreeing...they both know Kim was responsible for Warmbier's death. But in a diplomatic negotiation it would be the height of stupidity to assert that just when you are making progress towards a lasting and denuclearized peace with North Korea. The lib media knows this as well, and they are hoping to force the President and/or his diplomats to criticize Kim on this issue...hoping it will screw up the President's peace talks. As with the wall, the Left/Media simply doesn't want the President to succeed...even when success means peace, prosperity and potential freedom for millions of people. So, they try to sabotage the process...or as a consolation prize...make the President look bad as if he is naive enough to genuinely think Kim knew nothing of Warmbier.

You seem to have fallen...hook, line AND sinker...for this Lefty effort to disrupt the peace talks. Why is

KId's collateral damage.  Got cha.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
This journalistic wonder, repeats FIVE TIMES.:

My opinion doesn't matter'
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Right_in_Virginia

If this is what you got from @Mesaclone 's post ... you "got" nothing.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

You seem to have fallen...hook, line AND sinker...for this Lefty effort to disrupt the peace talks. Why is it that you so easily swallow the media garbage aimed at the President?

Ah, the $64 trillion question. 

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
If this is what you got from @Mesaclone 's post ... you "got" nothing.

You are an expert on that.  You "get nothing" on an ongoing basis.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Who Are the 3 American Detainees Freed by North Korea?

By Russell Goldman

April 19, 2018

Updated May 9.

One was sentenced to 10 years of hard labor in 2016 for an espionage conviction. Two others are scholars — one studies accounting, the other agriculture — who taught at a prestigious science and technology university before they were arrested in 2017 on suspicion of “hostile acts.”

All three are Korean-American men who were held in North Korea until Wednesday, when they were released during a visit by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to Pyongyang, the North Korean capital.

The three former detainees share a common surname, Kim, but they are not related. Their release removes a point of tension as President Trump and the North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un, prepare for their summit meeting, the first face-to-face encounter by the top leaders of the two nations.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/19/world/asia/north-korea-american-prisoners.html

This could play a part in things. If they have more prisoners of ours.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Remember when Reagan halted the talks at Reykjavik, to scold Gorby over the Gulag? No.

Instead he halted talks over the nuclear materials--the subject of the meeting.

Here on this site, by the same usual suspects, Trump is criticized for acting like Reagan acted.

Such is the depth of their #nevertrump derangement. Daily. Every article. Every subject.

#nevertrumps cannot imagine giving Trump credit, for in effect tearing down the wall between the two Koreas.

They fancy themselves to be big thinkers, but the opposite is the truth. They are small thinkers, when they think at all.

The pay off for the world, is NO MORE Ottos, no more wall.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline edpc

You’re being ridiculous. The entire foundation of the negotiations is built upon them giving up the weapons and program. They haven’t even started, by turning over one. Kim wanted sanctions relief, not flattery. Buttering him up over the murder of an American gets him nothing. In fact, it’s gotten a rebuke from Warmbier’s parents. Why don’t you tell them to sit down and shut up, because their son doesn’t matter in the big picture? Trump has already made it know he doesn’t GAF about Kim’s human rights abuses. After all, he’s a ‘funny guy’ who ‘loves his people.’

FFS.....

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/392174-trump-brushes-off-kims-human-rights-record-saying-a-lot-of-others

It’s not a media narrative. He said what he said. There’s no ‘misinterpretation’ of it, no matter how he tries to wriggle out of yet another unnecessary fawning gaffe, lavishing praise on a murderous foreign leader. In at least three instances - Russian election interference, Khashoggi’s murder, and Warmbier’s mistreatment - he’s publicly sided with the wrong person. Forget what people on a discussion board think about it. Those statements haven’t exactly gone over well with republicans senators, either. They’re the ones he needs to ratify deals and approve aid.

Offline Mesaclone

When you read Sun Tzu, do you interpret it to be a love story? Given your level of reading comprehension, that would be quite unsurprising. Or perhaps you did comprehend, and simply needed a strawman. 

Offline Mesaclone

You are an expert on that.  You "get nothing" on an ongoing basis.

Please tell us you're not an adult. Everything would make so much more sense if you would.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
When you read Sun Tzu, do you interpret it to be a love story? Given your level of reading comprehension, that would be quite unsurprising. Or perhaps you did comprehend, and simply needed a strawman.

Kid dies, executive branch washes hands of it almost even happening, ....next issue.   Seems you are the one with the lack of reality comprehension.  Trump supporter logic v. 3956.

Offline Mesaclone

You’re being ridiculous. The entire foundation of the negotiations is built upon them giving up the weapons and program. They haven’t even started, by turning over one. We are at the beginning of that road, not the end. Did you think Rome was built in a day?Kim wanted sanctions relief, not flattery. Clearly, he wants both.Buttering him up over the murder of an American gets him nothing. It does, it creates space and the ability for him to compromise without losing face. A VERY important factor in dealing with many traditional Asian leaders.In fact, it’s gotten a rebuke from Warmbier’s parents. Of course it did, I'd do the same in their shoes...that doesn't bear any relevance to the effectiveness of the diplomatic strategy. Why don’t you tell them to sit down and shut up, because their son doesn’t matter in the big picture? Because I don't think they should sit down and shut up, nor do I think the President should throw Warmbier's death at Kim during delicate negotiations that could save millions of lives.Trump has already made it know he doesn’t GAF about Kim’s human rights abuses. He's made no such thing clear. He just understands diplomatic strategy whereas you clearly do not...his goal is peace and denuclearization, towards which he has made INCREDIBLE progress (with yet a long ways to go).After all, he’s a ‘funny guy’ who ‘loves his people.’

FFS.....

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/392174-trump-brushes-off-kims-human-rights-record-saying-a-lot-of-others

It’s not a media narrative. He said what he said. There’s no ‘misinterpretation’ of it, no matter how he tries to wriggle out of yet another unnecessary fawning gaffe, lavishing praise on a murderous foreign leader. In at least three instances - Russian election interference, Khashoggi’s murder, and Warmbier’s mistreatment - he’s publicly sided with the wrong person. Forget what people on a discussion board think about it. Those statements haven’t exactly gone over well with republicans senators, either. They’re the ones he needs to ratify deals and approve aid.

No, Trump has chosen diplomacy and the pursuit of peace in the long term over the short term "feeling" of satisfaction that might come from slamming the NK's and Saudis on human rights issues...his approach is more likely to resolve human rights atrocities in those nations then the neverending confrontational approach you seem to advocate. His approach has the added benefit of A) Not causing a nuclear war...and...B) Not discarding a critical geostrategic ally in Saudi Arabia, without whom we'd be vastly more likely to get pulled into direct conflict with the Iranians.

Try reading Kissinger's book on diplomacy for a starter...might give you SOME understanding of how diplomacy must at times supplant short term "outrage" in favor of long term diplomatic concerns that lead to stable and lasting peace....as opposed to provoking a nuclear war so we can feel good about calling out a single, specific human rights violation. We all know Kim is a bad guy...Trump knows more than most...but diplomacy requires managing the situation delicately, not with a sledgehammer.

Offline edpc

Try reading Kissinger's book on diplomacy for a starter...might give you SOME understanding of how diplomacy must at times supplant short term "outrage" in favor of long term diplomatic concerns that lead to stable and lasting peace....as opposed to provoking a nuclear war so we can feel good about calling out a single, specific human rights violation. We all know Kim is a bad guy...Trump knows more than most...but diplomacy requires managing the situation delicately, not with a sledgehammer.

Kissinger? That’s the guy you want to cite? Really? The man who received a Nobel Prize, when the Vietnam peace efforts led to the communist takeover of Vietnam and the Cambodian genocide? He’s also the one who gave Russia nuclear parity with us and helped make China what they are today. Nice to know his efforts have created or maintained our biggest geopolitical threats. He’s the poster boy for what Trump supporters call a globalist. His legacy is one of appeasement and failure.

Offline TomSea

Tapper is wrong a bit in saying "no experts have said Kim could not be responsible"

https://www.bbc.com/news/video_and_audio/headlines/47410586/otto-warmbier-was-kim-jong-un-really-clueless-about-us-student

Apparently, one thinks it is possible.

Offline Mesaclone

Kissinger? That’s the guy you want to cite? Really? The man who received a Nobel Prize, when the Vietnam peace efforts led to the communist takeover of Vietnam and the Cambodian genocide? He’s also the one who gave Russia nuclear parity with us and helped make China what they are today. Nice to know his efforts have created or maintained our biggest geopolitical threats. He’s the poster boy for what Trump supporters call a globalist. His legacy is one of appeasement and failure.

Kissinger paved the way for Nixon to go to China...for one...and the man knows more about diplomatic process in his hangnail than you have in the breadth of your entire life experience. The Paris Accords have led us to where we are today...out of a war we weren't fighting to win, and with good relations with a peaceful and prosperous Vietnam. Worthy of a Nobel Peace Prize.

Then try Macchiavelli, or Metternich, or Bismarck, or Jefferson, or Churchill....all had one thing in common. They were realists, and would not launch into war...in our case nuclear war...to redress the wrongs of a dictator against an individual. They played the long game of diplomacy that CAN lead to longterm peace and stability.

Your approach, "they killed Warmbier...let's start launching nukes". Brilliant. That kind of dumbassery leads to military, strategic and political blunders like the Suez crisis...learn from history for god's sakes.

The death of any American to a brutal dictatorship is to be mourned and condemned...it is NOT to be used an excuse to toss aside the hopes for a major peace, an historic denuclearization, and the opening up of a closed and brutal society. If it were, we'd never have reached any agreements with the Soviets...agreements that led to greater world stability and advanced the potential for peace, and ultimately to the collapse of the "dictatorship" at question.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 07:17:31 pm by Mesaclone »

Offline TomSea

Wasn't Hillary using Kissinger as an advisor and spoke positive of him?

Numerous articles detail this. One can look it up for themselves.

All of these people and we saw it with Elliot Abrams, leave vastly different impressions with people.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 07:17:09 pm by TomSea »

Offline edpc

Your approach, "they killed Warmbier...let's start launching nukes". Brilliant. That kind of dumbassery leads to military, strategic and political blunders like the Suez crisis...learn from history for god's sakes.

Yeah, that’s exactly what I said.   *****rollingeyes*****

Enjoy the carpool, you clown.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
This Otto Warmbier guy was an idiot who should have known better than to do what he did.

It's regrettable that he ended up dead, but I'm not gonna shed any tears for him.

Like Rachel Corrie, he brought his demise upon himself.

Offline skeeter

This Otto Warmbier guy was an idiot who should have known better than to do what he did.

It's regrettable that he ended up dead, but I'm not gonna shed any tears for him.

Like Rachel Corrie, he brought his demise upon himself.

Warmbier hardly deserved to die for trying to snatch a souvenir out of his hotel room. Rachel Corrie was a terrorist sympathizer who stood in front of a working bulldozer.

Trump is trying to coax a despot into giving up his nukes. The US media is more concerned with embarrassing him to score political points. Its a shame things have gotten this bad.