Author Topic: SpaceX first commercial crew test flight launches successful from Cape Canaveral, headed to the Inte  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by Alex Stuckey March 2, 2019

SpaceX first commercial crew test flight launches successful from Cape Canaveral, headed to the International Space Station

SpaceX CEO Elon Musk struggled to find words early Saturday after the successful launch of the spacecraft that soon could carry astronauts to the International Space Station.

“To be frank, I’m a little emotionally exhausted because that was super stressful,” Musk told reporters in Florida after Crew Dragon left Earth’s atmosphere. “But it worked. So far.”

The launch is a first for NASA’s Commercial Crew Program, which aims to launch Americans from American soil for the first time since the Space Shuttles were grounded in 2011. Since that time, the U.S. has relied on Russian to ferry its astronauts to and from the space station, at a cost of $81 million per seat.

THE FIRST NINE: NASA names astronauts to fly on commercial vehicles by Boeing, SpaceX

The Crew Dragon that rocketed out of Earth’s atmosphere Saturday did not have humans on board — unless you count Ripley, a mannequin named after Sigourney Weaver's character in the Alien movie series. Instead, it essentially is a dress rehearsal for the crewed flight tentatively scheduled for July. It will test all the systems aboard the spacecraft to ensure that it is safe for humans.

But Saturday’s event marks an even bigger milestone for the U.S.’s history-making space agency, ushering in a time when companies play an even bigger role in the country’s human exploration portfolio.

“What today really represents is a new era in spaceflight: An era when we are looking forward to being one customer, as an agency and a country, of many customers in a robust commercial marketplace in low Earth orbit,” where the space station flies, NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said during the Saturday morning news conference. “So we can drive down cost and increase access in ways that, historically, has not been possible.”

The commercial crew program is part of NASA’s overall plan to commercialize low Earth orbit, where the space station has flown since 1998. But NASA officials and the companies they hired to help them have a long way to go before that becomes a reality.

True success of SpaceX’s test flight Saturday will not be known for about a week. It still must dock to the space station, scheduled for early Sunday morning, and re-enter Earth’s atmosphere, splashing down near Florida, March 8.

And Boeing — the other company hired by NASA in 2014 to build and launch a commercial spacecraft — still must conduct its test flight, currently scheduled for April.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/SpaceX-first-commercial-crew-test-flight-launches-13658101.php

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Crew Dragon departs ISS and returns to Earth

https://spacenews.com/crew-dragon-departs-iss/

SpaceX’s Crew Dragon departed from the International Space Station early March 8, splashing down to mark the end of a successful test flight for the commercial crew program.

The Crew Dragon spacecraft, flying a mission designated Demo-1, undocked from the station’s Harmony module at 2:32 a.m. Eastern. It quickly moved away from the station as in preparation for its return to Earth.

The spacecraft fired its thrusters at 7:53 a.m. Eastern for a 15-minute reentry burn. That reentry appeared to go as planned, with the spacecraft first deploying two drogue parachutes followed by its four main ones. The spacecraft splashed down in the Atlantic Ocean at 8:45 a.m. Eastern within sight of SpaceX recovery ships.

More at link

Offline kidd

Outstanding.
Another big step in commercial space flight

Offline kidd

Funny...
back in the early 70's people became bored of the manned moon landings.

Now we're back to cheering on splashdowns again.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Excellent news, after Bush and Obastard let the US manned space program wither on the vine.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Excellent news, after Bush and Obastard let the US manned space program wither on the vine.

I supported the Space Shuttle from STS-8 to the last flight, STS-135. I sure wanted to support, at least the start of, the Shuttle Replacement, but it has taken just too long.  Some of my coworkers had supported the Apollo program and then came back to support the Shuttle Program. Not me, I ain't coming back.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I supported the Space Shuttle from STS-8 to the last flight, STS-135. I sure wanted to support, at least the start of, the Shuttle Replacement, but it has taken just too long.  Some of my coworkers had supported the Apollo program and then came back to support the Shuttle Program. Not me, I ain't coming back.

Bush anticipated a replacement would be forthcoming, Obastard decided we had too many mouths to feed.  Musk saw an opportunity.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 09:39:08 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Ho-Hum. More Boring Success for SpaceX as Crew Dragon Splashes Down

https://www.universetoday.com/141703/ho-hum-more-boring-success-for-spacex-as-crew-dragon-splashes-down/

A few hours ago, the SpaceX Crew Dragon splashed down in the Atlantic Ocean, about 200 miles off the coast of Florida. The splashdown is the last act in what has been a successful first flight for the Crew Dragon. The flight, called Demo-1, was launched on March 2nd and spent five days at the International Space Station (ISS).

“Our Commercial Crew Program is one step closer to launching American astronauts on American rockets from American soil.”

NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine.

This flight is the beginning of a new phase in American spaceflight. Ever since the Shuttle Program ended in 2011, NASA has been working with commercial partners to provide transportation to and from the ISS. In the intervening years, it has been relying on Russia’s Soyuz spacecraft to shuttle crew back and forth.

“Today’s successful re-entry and recovery of the Crew Dragon capsule after its first mission to the International Space Station marked another important milestone in the future of human spaceflight.”

NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine.

“Today’s successful re-entry and recovery of the Crew Dragon capsule after its first mission to the International Space Station marked another important milestone in the future of human spaceflight,” said NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine. “I want to once again congratulate the NASA and SpaceX teams on an incredible week. Our Commercial Crew Program is one step closer to launching American astronauts on American rockets from American soil. I am proud of the great work that has been done to get us to this point.”

More at link

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
What's Boeing been working on with manned space?  Don't they have a contract too?
I will NOT comply.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
What's Boeing been working on with manned space?  Don't they have a contract too?

Boeing Is Prepping to Launch Astronauts to Space Station

Boeing is hot on SpaceX's heels.

https://futurism.com/boeing-starliner-test-flight

Commercial Crew Program

SpaceX isn’t the only company attempting to revolutionize the way we send astronauts to space.

Boeing, the largest aerospace company in the world, is looking to send up its own take on a passenger spacecraft, which it calls the CST-100 Starliner, to the International Space Station. Boeing is planning to launch the capsule — uncrewed for now, as a test flight — on an Atlas 5 rocket as early as April, according to NASA.

More at link above