State Chapters > State Politics/Government

Poster linking Omar to 9/11 attack causes fight to break out at W.Va statehouse

(1/2) > >>

corbe:
Poster linking Omar to 9/11 attack causes fight to break out at W.Va statehouse

By Brooke Seipel - 03/01/19 06:55 PM EST 

A poster comparing Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) to 9/11 terrorists on display at the West Virginia statehouse prompted a heated argument between lawmakers that resulted in a physical injury and one lawmaker's resignation, WSAZ reports.

The poster was reportedly put on display as part of a “Republicans Take the Rotunda” event. It shows a photo of the Twin Towers in flames with the words, " 'Never forget' - you said.." followed by, "I am the proof — you have forgotten," on top of a photo of Omar.

Democrats in the statehouse complained about the display and got into an explosive argument with the state House's sergeant at arms, Anne Lieberman, for allegedly making an anti-Muslim remark.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/432283-poster-comparing-omar-to-terrorists-causes-fight-to-break-out-at-w-va

corbe:

--- Quote ---Ilhan Omar
 âœ”  @IlhanMN 

No wonder why I am on the “Hitlist” of a domestic terrorist and “Assassinate Ilhan Omar” is written on my local gas stations.

Look no further, the GOP's anti-Muslim display likening me to a terrorist rocks in state capitols and no one is condemning them! https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/gop-s-anti-muslim-display-likening-rep-omar-terrorist-rocks-n978371 …

4:44 PM - Mar 1, 2019
--- End quote ---

mountaineer:
I'm getting snippets of this story via Twitter (not interested enough to pursue it):
--- Quote ---Amber Sipe   @WSAZAmber

#BREAKING: A doorkeeper is also being evaluated at the hospital right now after a delegate became angry about that poster and kicked the door in. That delegate, Mike Caputo, could be punished if the rules committee decides to take action.
5:50 PM - 1 Mar 2019
--- End quote ---
He's a Democrat.

--- Quote ---CHARLESTON, W.Va. — Tempers boiled over in West Virginia’s House of Delegates about a display outside the chamber depicting anti-Muslim images and statements.

The display prompted an angry scene in which Delegate Mike Caputo kicked open the door to the chamber during a prayer, injuring a doorkeeper, the sergeant at arms resigned, and a series of emotional floor speeches unfolded, including one by the House speaker.

“I’ve bluntly struggled with what even to say,” Speaker Roger Hanshaw, R-Clay, said Friday evening during a floor session.

“Where are we as a House and what possible example are we setting for the people of this state? What possible example are we as a body setting for those who sit at home and watch our sessions?” ...   
--- End quote ---
WV Metro News

This is all very strange ... and stupid!

rustynail:
Islam is winning.

mountaineer:

--- Quote ---The poster was reportedly put on display as part of a “Republicans Take the Rotunda” event.
--- End quote ---
The WVGOP had nothing to do with it. Some fringe group put up the display, and removed it once the hubbub started. Of course, that won't stop the media from tying it to the Republicans.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version