Author Topic: Trump says his remarks on Warmbier were 'misinterpreted'  (Read 562 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump says his remarks on Warmbier were 'misinterpreted'
« on: March 01, 2019, 10:37:24 pm »
Trump says his remarks on Warmbier were 'misinterpreted'
By Jordan Fabian - 03/01/19 04:13 PM EST

President Trump on Friday sought to clean up his widely criticized claim that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un did not know about the treatment of U.S. college student Otto Warmbier, saying “I hold North Korea responsible” for Warmbier’s “mistreatment and death.”

In a pair of tweets, Trump claimed that his initial comments at a Thursday news conference following his failed nuclear summit with Kim were “misinterpreted.”

Donald J. Trump
✔
@realDonaldTrump

I never like being misinterpreted, but especially when it comes to Otto Warmbier and his great family. Remember, I got Otto out along with three others. The previous Administration did nothing, and he was taken on their watch. Of course I hold North Korea responsible....

Donald J. Trump
✔
@realDonaldTrump
Replying to @realDonaldTrump

....for Otto’s mistreatment and death. Most important, Otto Warmbier will not have died in vain. Otto and his family have become a tremendous symbol of strong passion and strength, which will last for many years into the future. I love Otto and think of him often!
3:03 PM - Mar 1, 2019

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/432255-trump-says-his-remarks-on-warmbier-were-misinterpreted
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Trump says his remarks on Warmbier were 'misinterpreted'
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 10:39:05 pm »
Tapper on Trump's tweet about Otto Warmbier comments: 'There's no misinterpretation'
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/432272-tapper-on-trumps-tweet-about-otto-warmbier-comments-theres-no

I hate to agree with Tapper... :smokin:
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 10:43:04 pm »
The pattern is becoming obvious - Trump should stop taking the bait.

I remember the left hooting when Otto the 'privileged frat boy' was carted off to prison. Now their sensitivity to Mr & Mrs Warmbier knows no bounds.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 10:46:32 pm by skeeter »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 10:58:49 pm »
Still, it's not like Trump could have said,  "Yes, Kim killed Otto, unforgivable. He is a real scoundrel"...  what was the right way to answer that?
“Instead of making excuses for Chairman Kim, Trump should have demanded to know what happened to Otto, who was responsible for the rights abuses that caused his brain damage, and what was done to hold the perpetrators accountable,” said Robertson.

“Otto should have never been arrested in the first place and Kim is responsible for that decision and everything that subsequently happened. Donald Trump shows his disdain for human rights and democracy every time he takes the word of a dictator over the people hurt by the dictator's actions, and North Korea fully fits with that pattern," he said.

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/korea/nk-warmbier-parents-03012019173714.html

I guess, I can go along with this. It's a serious matter but it is not more serious than the whole process of trying to get NK to denuclearize.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 10:59:20 pm by TomSea »

Offline berdie

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 11:26:24 pm »
For what it's worth...Kim may not have known about the actual person until after his incarceration and disablement. Until the US got involved.

But there is no doubt in my mind that he issued the orders for treatment of prisoners in his circumstances.

It was a lie of omission.

Is it right? No. But he broke the law in that country and the punishment killed him. Since there was no autopsy, who knows what the actual cause of death was.

Moral of the story...don't go to North Korea (or any third world country) and break the law...no matter how inconsequential they might seem.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 11:34:08 pm »
There was a huge trial in NOKO even US Media covered it..so please don't tell me little Kimmy didn't know about a a US citizen on trial and convicted....and later tortured to death...
Support the USO

Offline berdie

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 11:51:51 pm »
There was a huge trial in NOKO even US Media covered it..so please don't tell me little Kimmy didn't know about a a US citizen on trial and convicted....and later tortured to death...

I didn't realize there was a trial that was covered in the US. (or if I knew it at the time, I forgot it today. That happens sometimes) I guess I'll have to retract my uninformed opinion.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 11:57:41 pm »

I didn't realize there was a trial that was covered in the US. (or if I knew it at the time, I forgot it today. That happens sometimes) I guess I'll have to retract my uninformed opinion.

Fox covered it big time...not sure about other Networks..
Support the USO

Offline berdie

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 12:21:14 am »
I don't watch a lot of Fox...or any other news outlet. Maybe Kim doesn't either, lol.  I will be gone for days and days from here.

Maybe I need to read the history before I comment? wink777

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 12:42:57 am »
Tapper on Trump's tweet about Otto Warmbier comments: 'There's no misinterpretation'
I hate to agree with Tapper... :smokin:

The death of Warmbier was a tragedy for his family. But let's remember, if it hadn't been for the President Warmbier would have died in NK and who knows where his remains would be today.  The family should stand down.

Let's also try and remember the fate of millions of people rests on the outcome of these negotiations... and they demand a delicate balance between stroking Kim's huge ego while keeping the US hard line sanctions in place.  I dare anyone to do this as well as the President is doing it.

We can feel compassion for the family --- but the big picture here is greater than this one individual. 

@mystery-ak

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 01:03:59 am »
The death of Warmbier was a tragedy for his family. But let's remember, if it hadn't been for the President Warmbier would have died in NK and who knows where his remains would be today.  The family should stand down.

Let's also try and remember the fate of millions of people rests on the outcome of these negotiations... and they demand a delicate balance between stroking Kim's huge ego while keeping the US hard line sanctions in place.  I dare anyone to do this as well as the President is doing it.

We can feel compassion for the family --- but the big picture here is greater than this one individual. 

@mystery-ak

How can you exhibit compassion for the Warmbier family while at the same time you're telling them to stand down? I don't think the Warmbiers standing down will have any impact on the "big picture."

Case in point: the murder of Kate Steinle has not budged Democrats one inch closer to improving border security.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 01:11:43 am »
Sorry...I still think Trump was wrong with his comments..even worse was KellyAnn this morning stumbling over her words to defend Trump's.....
Support the USO

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2019, 03:13:08 am »
Put a rake in front of this guy and he promptly stomps on it.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2019, 06:09:19 am »
Sorry...I still think Trump was wrong with his comments..even worse was KellyAnn this morning stumbling over her words to defend Trump's.....

Same here, and him saying or tweeting something stupid has almost become a daily occurance. As much as I realise how much we need him to continue to mark up wins on  campaign peomisises and complete out his term, and win a second term, his mouth is not helping.   God I miss Reagan.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn