Author Topic: Amazon plans new chain of grocery stores  (Read 1352 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Amazon plans new chain of grocery stores
« on: March 01, 2019, 07:35:45 pm »
Amazon plans new chain of grocery stores
By John Bowden - 03/01/19 01:57 PM EST

Amazon Inc. is planning to launch a chain of grocery stores in the U.S., with the first location set to open before the end of 2019.

The Wall Street Journal reports that the online retailer plans to move full-scale into the grocery store business with an inaugural location in Los Angeles by the end of the year and then plans for dozens more across the country.

The company is also making plans to open stores in San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, Washington, D.C., and Philadelphia, according to the Journal.

Reuters reported that shares of other grocery store chains including Kroger, Costco and Walmart all dipped upon the news. Amazon's stocks surged 1.4 percent, according to the news service, while its competitors dropped between 1 and 4 percent.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/432227-amazon-plans-new-grocery-store-business
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

Re: Amazon plans new chain of grocery stores
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 07:54:40 pm »
Interesting.  Just read the other day that Amazon was launching its own line of dairy products.   Feels like Amazon is taking over the world.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 09:21:35 pm by Applewood »

Offline berdie

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 10:35:32 pm »
Hmmm..wonder how they will use the Whole Foods name?

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 10:44:53 pm »
Hmmm..wonder how they will use the Whole Foods name?

From what I've heard, Amazon is keeping Whole Foods as a separate entity.  Since WF caters to a more upscale clientele, it presumably will not compete with the new chain as the new stores will be for us poor folks. 

Honestly, I would welcome some competition where I live.  At one time, my town had five grocery chains.  Now we have just Giant Eagle. Except for Aldi, Giant Eagle is a monopoly here and it knows it.  Overpriced products, poor customer service -- all the  hallmarks of a monopoly.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 10:48:25 pm »
Feels like Amazon is taking over the world.

That can't be good for free market competition.

888mouth
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline berdie

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 11:11:24 pm »
Thanks @Applewood for that info.  I was wondering. Even tho I have read that WF has had to drop their prices.  I wouldn't know...the closest one to m is 60 miles away.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 11:12:04 pm »
That can't be good for free market competition.

888mouth

It might force the complacent competition to get up off their duffs and innovate.  Adapt or die.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 11:16:21 pm »
It might force the complacent competition to get up off their duffs and innovate.  Adapt or die.
Absolutely.  Don't know whether this is convenient for you, but I got some nice deals at Fresh Thyme in Pleasant Hills today (also in Bridgeville).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 11:16:34 pm »
Thanks @Applewood for that info.  I was wondering. Even tho I have read that WF has had to drop their prices.  I wouldn't know...the closest one to m is 60 miles away.

I don't know about the prices either.  The only time I get to a Whole Foods is when I visit a friend of mine who lives in Pittsburgh.  She has it nice -- a Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Giant Eagle and an Aldi.  Competition which Ii don't have.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 11:26:42 pm by Applewood »

Offline Dexter

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 11:17:55 pm »

I don't think the competition is complacent. It's probably pretty hard for a startup to compete with an international corporation worth billions of dollars.
-Socrates

Offline Applewood

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 11:26:14 pm »
I don't think the competition is complacent. It's probably pretty hard for a startup to compete with an international corporation worth billions of dollars.

I was referring to the established chains.  I mentioned Giant Eagle which is a longtime supermarket chain in my neck of the woods and is now a virtual monopoly here.  If Amazon comes to town, G.E. will have to fight for the shoppers' dollars. 

Offline Dexter

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 11:30:06 pm »
I was referring to the established chains.  I mentioned Giant Eagle which is a longtime supermarket chain in my neck of the woods and is now a virtual monopoly here.  If Amazon comes to town, G.E. will have to fight for the shoppers' dollars.

Is there a point at which you would think something has to be done about a monopoly? Like what if the competition can't hack it for whatever reason and these giant corporations start swallowing everything? Is that just okay?
-Socrates

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 11:36:09 pm »
No giant corporation is consuming grocery stores.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 11:41:35 pm »

Is there a point at which you would think something has to be done about a monopoly? Like what if the competition can't hack it for whatever reason and these giant corporations start swallowing everything? Is that just okay?
When you get on your computer connected to electric utility company using your mouse and monitor to order your food which will be delivered by delivery using automobiles running on gasoline, then you might realize that there may be a problem.

That day is closing in fast. And if anyone is depending on the feckless retards in Congress to do anything about it, well...good luck with that.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.