Author Topic: GOP nightmare as Alabama's Roy Moore signals he might run again  (Read 29090 times)

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Re: GOP nightmare as Alabama's Roy Moore signals he might run again
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2019, 04:58:12 am »
But you don’t know the facts of what that 14 year old went through....just your opinion about it. So what in the hell are you talking about with that inapplicable axiom?

Yeah, tell us the facts @Mesaclone ... Since she herself REFUSES to sit down for a deposition without being told what to say.  Just how hard is it for her to say whether it was a trailer or a house she supposably was nearly taken advantage of. She already was burned saying he had a TV when it was proven he didn't have a TV at the time.

You can give facts since you keep even quoting the girl's age wrong... not 14 but 15 y/o she claims.

Lets just say,  @Bigun is right, leave it to the voters of Alabama, at least we know the man and his character. Heck I have a folder on my computer with 54 and counting articles I have stored on this story. Roy was screwed by everyone and that includes you TBR members. From Billionaires funding "Project Birmingham" to nuts on FB fabricating mall stories. From guys who lost before Moore (divorce case) who had a gay brother that works at the WAPO (and was married by Ginsburg while the legality was before her court).

https://www.alreporter.com/2019/02/11/moore-corfman-still-refusing-to-give-depositions/
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2019, 05:10:58 am »
@libertybele

This is just amazing to me.  No, Moore is NOT "just like Kavanaugh and others."  If that's how you feel, then you're actually admitting that Republicans can never be guilty of anything--they're always innocent, always framed, always set up.  Every time someone with an R behind the name is accused of something, instead of waiting and becoming informed before making up your mind, you just automatically revert to a purely tribalistic position.

We don't do that, or at least we never used to.  We take each incident separately and we weigh the information.  We think.

Kavanaugh was clearly innocent, he really was set up.  Moore's case is completely different.

BS... and you know it...

Both had allegations brought forth in the 11th hour ....

In both cases, the allegations are decades old. Despite both men having served in the public eye for years, neither was accused of any wrongdoing under higher office.

But even more compelling is that in both cases, the accusers were affected by legal rulings related to the men. Moore presided over a divorce case involving one of his accusers, Beverly Nelson — and Kavanaugh’s mother, a judge herself, presided over a foreclosure hearing involving one of Brett Kavanaugh’s accusers.

But despite the particulars, one thing seems clear: Accusations of sexual misconduct, whether true or not, are an effective tactic to derail a candidate — and perhaps a confirmation. And Alabamians have seen it firsthand, and in all its Washington Post/DNC/GOP RINO glory.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2019, 05:12:19 am »
But you don’t know the facts of what that 14 year old went through....just your opinion about it. So what in the hell are you talking about with that inapplicable axiom?

Neither do you, and that is the point. There is no evidence. This #metoo bullcrap doesn't work with Conservatives.
evidence is what it takes, and you've got bupkis. *Nothing*. Opinions don't count at all. It takes PROOF.

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2019, 05:31:44 am »
Then now is the time to run a Republican who can win the statewide election.  Moore's had three statewide strikes, three effing strikes and you want to go for four.  Let the record show: Two of those strikes came years before the sex charges.  Moore simply is not a viable statewide candidate.  Period.

Odd, Moore had trounced both popular Conservatives he ran against (something a weak person does not do)... Moore had millions outspent against him and still kicked butt... If he was a weak candidate it sure didn't show until the bombshell hit in the 11th hour. Moore also won his election for Chief Justice hands down (and it was statewide).

What more do you want? A lie-detector test? Opps he did that also right after the election.... and he was not lying.

Roy Moore’s legal defense fund releases lie detector results...

https://whnt.com/2019/01/14/roy-moores-legal-defense-fund-releases-lie-detector-results/

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2019, 06:02:06 am »
Roy Moore Accuser’s Texts Show Disdain for Christians, “Bible Thumpers”

Exclusive documents shade Leigh Corfman’s accusations against Judge Moore with serious questions.

This revelation that Corfman was talking with people for months before November 9th 2017 has led some to question her role in the development of the Post story.

Leigh Corfman, who accused Judge Roy Moore of sexual misconduct during the 2017 U.S. Senate election in Alabama, expressed disdain for Christian supporters of Judge Moore calling them “bible thumpers” in text messages exclusively obtained by Big League Politics.

The text messages were revealed as a result of the discovery process in the defamation suit that Corfman brought against Moore for denying her claims of sexual misconduct.

The text messages include conversations between Corfman and her friends, attorneys, and reporters as many as 40 days before the Washington Post story in which the Judge was accused of sexual misconduct.

This revelation that Corfman was talking with people for months before November 9th 2017 has led some to question her role in the development of the Post story.

Corfman, it turns out, had a lot to say in the immediate aftermath of her public accusation that derailed Moore’s U.S. Senate campaign. Texts revealed in the motion suggest that Corfman’s accusations were part of premeditated political operation to disrupt Moore’s campaign, planned for quite some time before she went public with her story, leading some to question whether the claims were organic, or part of a plot to sabotage the Judge.

Interestingly, Corfman still refuses to sit for a deposition in a suit she brought against Judge Moore in which she claimed defamation against Moore for the simple act of disputing her claim.

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/exclusive-roy-moore-accusers-texts-show-disdain-for-christians-bible-thumpers/
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 06:04:43 am by Sighlass »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2019, 07:39:51 am »
I'd kind of like Moore to run and win, destroying the left's smear tactic, even if he is a pedo[1].

But then, I'm the same sick SOB who has always believed "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" should end up with the town being ravaged by the wolf, because even if the boy has proven himself to be a liar doesn't mean he will always be lying.  Yeah, I'm a math major.

[1] If I have to explain...
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2019, 11:07:35 am »
Hallelujah!  I hope he does and wins!  THAT would be justice!
:amen:

I just hope the truth has gotten out about the smear campaign perpetrated on him.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2019, 11:08:51 am »
I'd kind of like Moore to run and win, destroying the left's smear tactic, even if he is a pedo[1].

But then, I'm the same sick SOB who has always believed "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" should end up with the town being ravaged by the wolf, because even if the boy has proven himself to be a liar doesn't mean he will always be lying.  Yeah, I'm a math major.

[1] If I have to explain...
If you have to explain what? Lies about the man? Have at. Go for it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 11:09:38 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2019, 11:40:45 am »
BS... and you know it...

In both cases, the allegations are decades old. Despite both men having served in the public eye for years, neither was accused of any wrongdoing under higher office.

But even more compelling is that in both cases, the accusers were affected by legal rulings related to the men. Moore presided over a divorce case involving one of his accusers, Beverly Nelson — and Kavanaugh’s mother, a judge herself, presided over a foreclosure hearing involving one of Brett Kavanaugh’s accusers.

But despite the particulars, one thing seems clear: Accusations of sexual misconduct, whether true or not, are an effective tactic to derail a candidate — and perhaps a confirmation. And Alabamians have seen it firsthand, and in all its Washington Post/DNC/GOP RINO glory.

@Sighlass

BS, my butt, and all the yelling in the world about RINOs and the GOPe won’t affect Moore’s sleaze. 
Choose your idols more carefully. 

I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2019, 11:59:02 am »

OK, people, we know the age of consent was 16 at the time. Just because something is technically legal, that doesn’t mean it’s right. So, here’s the scenario: The above photo is Moore in 1982. This is the timeframe he was pursuing very young women (girls). So, this guy shows up to date your high school aged daughter. When you are reaching out, is it to shake his hand or to grab your shotgun? Be honest.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 12:00:17 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2019, 12:03:24 pm »
When y’all say that Moore has been proven to be telling the truth, you don’t mean the fake Facebook page/ Russian bot disinformation thing, right?  Because that has nothing to do with the sexual issue.  Y’all know that, I’m sure.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2019, 12:11:51 pm »
I don't think this will go anywhere. Also, he took his foot off the pedal of campaigning last time. Maybe the allegations gobsmacked him and paralyzed him but that last week or two, he should have been out there, shaking hands, trying to get the votes. As said, his statewide appeal lacks and I see it hard for him to gain momentum.

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2019, 12:31:27 pm »
@edpc

I can tell you what would happen here, and I live in a small Southern rural community.  If that guy showed up to date my niece, my father-in-law—her grandfather—would go after him, accompanied by my husband and his brother. 

If that guy were hanging around recitals to check out young girls, he would be zeroed in on pretty quickly.   You wouldn’t find anyone trying to excuse his aberrance. 

Offline TomSea

« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2019, 12:36:32 pm »
If Mo Brooks is another candidate, it would be hard not to vote for him. He stood by Moore and I suppose, statewide, has more appeal.  I don't think Roy Moore can get his campaign up-and-running again.

For the record, I think the things said about Judge Moore, seeking out young girls is hearsay at this point. Maybe I am wrong but I haven't seen enough to prove these things actually happened.  Some of the accusations are very seedy but we see what happened to Kavanaugh, happens really to a lot of people. I don't keep up with scandal too much.  Apparently, he did admit to some things but that was in asking permission to date. Not stalking at the mall.

His whole aura though, I find questionable. He was removed from the Alabama Supreme Court two times. I think officers of the court have to still obey orders.  That is a question beyond my pay-scale, beyond my knowledge but it does make some sense. You can't be making law from the bench and disobeying in essence the law. Again, that is another matter.

What if the law in question was not to sell alcohol to minors? And a judge changed the law from his position?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 12:38:55 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2019, 12:42:16 pm »
BS... and you know it...

In the end, see, I think Silas is correct. This is all hearsay, almost all except to what Judge Moore has confirmed. Look at how Kavanaugh was steamed-rolled? Everyone, half the country knew it was false what they said about Kavanaugh  (there are those biased leftists who wanted to believe it, so I say half, maybe a third wanted to believe the allegations against Brett Kavanaugh). That was really big malarky.  Judge Moore admitted that he would ask permission. That may not be outright proper in my book but that was 40 years ago and not illegal. This other stuff, the restaurant, the mall, none of this is confirmed.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 12:43:23 pm by TomSea »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2019, 12:46:35 pm »
The debate that's happened right here on this thread is the senatorial debate if Moore is the candidate.

Just say no.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2019, 12:55:36 pm »
The debate that's happened right here on this thread is the senatorial debate if Moore is the candidate.

Just say no.
Like I said earlier in the thread: if Roy Moore wants his redemption tour, he should do what Mark Sanford did and find another seat that isn't so important. This Senate seat is far too important of a race to be wasted on a guy who managed to lose in a seat with an electorate tilted 28% in his party's favor.

You don't see the Democrats running back to Hillary Clinton this time around. Republicans would be fools to do the same.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2019, 01:04:53 pm »
You don't see the Democrats running back to Hillary Clinton this time around.

Don’t be so sure about that, just yet. This morning, Inslee announced his candidacy, making climate change the centerpiece of his campaign. At some point, don’t be surprised, with all of the fringe issues guys, she’s rolled out to be the ‘reasonable moderate’ of the bunch.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2019, 02:27:18 pm »
How do you know what I know or don't know?  I know a political smear job when I see one and will call it out for what it is every time I see it.  You can like it or not.   I don't care.

Because the odds of you being in the room with the two of them when the event happened are .00000000000000000001%. And if you weren't in the room, you don't know shit. I'm pretty comfortable  with those odds...and I frankly don't give a hoot if you "don't care" or not.

Yes, the Dems conduct political smear jobs. However, that does not mean that all misbehavior is a smear job. This perv admitted to dating teenagers when in his 30's...its a tiny step to the accusation of a young woman that he pursued her when she was 14.

That said, the larger point is this...we KNOW that seat will be won by any decent conservative candidate...who WASN'T trying to date teenage girls while in his 30's....so why in hell would anyone want the seat to be put at risk by a previous loser running for it. The word for that kind of action is stupid. Let's not deliberately choose stupid.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2019, 02:27:54 pm »
Whether or not Roy Moore decides to run again for the U.S. Senate, I will NOT stand by and watch the man smeared by anyone! 

You can put that in your pipe and smoke it!

If he does decide to run I will make a nice contribution to his campaign and otherwise help him in any way that I can! If he doesn't he will remain a genuine American patriot and yes, a HERO in my eyes!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2019, 02:30:02 pm »
Yeah, tell us the facts @Mesaclone ... Since she herself REFUSES to sit down for a deposition without being told what to say.  Just how hard is it for her to say whether it was a trailer or a house she supposably was nearly taken advantage of. She already was burned saying he had a TV when it was proven he didn't have a TV at the time.

You can give facts since you keep even quoting the girl's age wrong... not 14 but 15 y/o she claims.

Lets just say,  @Bigun is right, leave it to the voters of Alabama, at least we know the man and his character. Heck I have a folder on my computer with 54 and counting articles I have stored on this story. Roy was screwed by everyone and that includes you TBR members. From Billionaires funding "Project Birmingham" to nuts on FB fabricating mall stories. From guys who lost before Moore (divorce case) who had a gay brother that works at the WAPO (and was married by Ginsburg while the legality was before her court).

https://www.alreporter.com/2019/02/11/moore-corfman-still-refusing-to-give-depositions/

Oh. Well if she was FIFTEEN years old no problem. Nothing wrong with a 32 year old man dating a 15 year old girl...whew!...I thought she was only 14. I guess he's good to go then. And if the girl has a hard time recalling if he molested her in his trailer or his house...with or without a TV...not really shocking that her memory is less than clear on that after so many years, and having undergone such a trauma. I'm not calling for the man's conviction...too much time has passed for a credible prosecution...but that's not the same as saying this didn't happen.

Is Roy Moore the only decent conservative in that entire state? Why the hell would we want to run a guy who's already lost, is buried in this mess from his past, and is almost sure to lose again because of it...whatever the outcome of the accusation by the 15 year old girl. How about we get one of the good conservative candidates WITHOUT this background and run them for an easy win...seems like what any sane conservative would want?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 02:35:49 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2019, 02:36:55 pm »
Meanwhile Horizontal Harris, candidate for POTUS, is given a pass for sleeping her way to the top.

Carry on.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2019, 02:40:11 pm »
Whether or not Roy Moore decides to run again for the U.S. Senate, I will NOT stand by and watch the man smeared by anyone! 

You can put that in your pipe and smoke it!

If he does decide to run I will make a nice contribution to his campaign and otherwise help him in any way that I can! If he doesn't he will remain a genuine American patriot and yes, a HERO in my eyes!

@Bigun

Oh, you can do that now.  The shyster was begging for money to cover his legal bills, lol. 

What’s that P.T. Barnum saying...?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2019, 02:42:03 pm »
Because the odds of you being in the room with the two of them when the event happened are .00000000000000000001%. And if you weren't in the room, you don't know shit. I'm pretty comfortable  with those odds...and I frankly don't give a hoot if you "don't care" or not.

Yes, the Dems conduct political smear jobs. However, that does not mean that all misbehavior is a smear job. This perv admitted to dating teenagers when in his 30's...its a tiny step to the accusation of a young woman that he pursued her when she was 14.

That said, the larger point is this...we KNOW that seat will be won by any decent conservative candidate...who WASN'T trying to date teenage girls while in his 30's....so why in hell would anyone want the seat to be put at risk by a previous loser running for it. The word for that kind of action is stupid. Let's not deliberately choose stupid.

YOU are one sick dude! 

It just so happens that you don't have clue about what I know or don't know.

Roy Moore is a member of a society that someone like you wouldn't have the most remote clue about!  He is a member of the LONG Gray LIne composed of graduates of the United States Military Academy at West Point New York and knows more about Honor and Integrity in a second than YOU will ever know!

He served his county during wartime with honor and distinction and served his state for many years without a HINT of scandal before this 100% smear job arose at the 11th hour of his Senate campaign.

The slugs in Washington greatly fear a man like that and will do anything to prevent him from mixing with them on a daily basis! Thus the smear job and I'm not going to stand for it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2019, 03:01:50 pm »
Oh. Well if she was FIFTEEN years old no problem. Nothing wrong with a 32 year old man dating a 15 year old girl...whew!...I thought she was only 14. I guess he's good to go then. And if the girl has a hard time recalling if he molested her in his trailer or his house...with or without a TV...not really shocking that her memory is less than clear on that after so many years, and having undergone such a trauma. I'm not calling for the man's conviction...too much time has passed for a credible prosecution...but that's not the same as saying this didn't happen.

Is Roy Moore the only decent conservative in that entire state? Why the hell would we want to run a guy who's already lost, is buried in this mess from his past, and is almost sure to lose again because of it...whatever the outcome of the accusation by the 15 year old girl. How about we get one of the good conservative candidates WITHOUT this background and run them for an easy win...seems like what any sane conservative would want?

Wow.  This may be the first time since you joined TBR that I've ever agreed with you.

Hell is frozen.

In all of the state, is there no one without the baggage and the questionable past practice of dating what is called in the vernacular, "jail bait?"

The facts alone are bad enough for the state to come up with someone better.  No smear required.

IS there no one better??  Seriously, in the whole state, NO one better??
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.