Author Topic: House passes bill to require universal background checks on gun sales  (Read 16848 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: House passes bill to require universal background checks on gun sales
« Reply #175 on: March 07, 2019, 04:19:24 pm »
U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Calls on Chairman Graham to Hold Judiciary Committee Hearings on Gun Violence Prevention Legislation

https://www.baldwin.senate.gov/press-releases/judiciary-committee-hearings-on-gun-violence-prevention-bill

WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin joined 37 of her Senate colleagues in calling on Senator Lindsay Graham (R-SC), Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, to hold hearings on universal background checks legislation.

Last week, the U.S. House of Representatives passed the Bipartisan Background Checks Act. Senator Baldwin and her colleagues helped introduced the Senate counterpart bill, the Background Check Expansion Act, which is currently pending in the Senate Judiciary Committee. The House also passed the Enhanced Background Checks Act, a bill aimed at closing the “Charleston loophole” in the background check system that made it possible for the gunman in Charleston’s AME Church in Graham’s home state to purchase a firearm.

“We noted with interest your statement in the press that you intended to have the Committee work on ‘red flag’ legislation and potentially also background checks, both actions we would strongly support,” the Senators wrote in a letter to Chairman Graham. “We respectfully request that you hold a hearing on this critical legislation as soon as possible.”

The letter, led by Senator Chris Murphy (D-CT), was also signed by U.S. Senators Michael Bennet (D-CO), Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Cory Booker (D-NJ), Sherrod Brown (D-OH), Ben Cardin (D-MD), Tom Carper (D-DE), Bob Casey (D-PA), Chris Coons (D-DE), Catherine Cortez Masto (D-NV), Tammy Duckworth (D-IL), Dick Durbin (D-IL), Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), Kamala Harris (D-CA), Maggie Hassan (D-NH), Martin Heinrich (D-NM), Mazie Hirono (D-HI), Tim Kaine (D-VA), Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), Patrick Leahy (D-VT), Edward Markey (D-MA), Bob Menendez (D-NJ), Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Patty Murray (D-WA), Jack Reed (D-RI), Jacky Rosen (D-NV), Brian Schatz (D-HI), Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH), Tina Smith (D-MN), Tom Udall (D-NM), Mark Warner (D-VA), Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI), Ron Wyden (D-OR) and Chris Van Hollen (D-MD).

More at link

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #176 on: March 07, 2019, 04:29:44 pm »
This one sentence sums up why your position on firearms ownership is wrong, JH. Any defense of the 2A has to start with a clear understanding of why it was included in the Constitution in the first place.

If the Dems win the White House,  and pack the SCOTUS with liberals,  the Heller decision will be overturned in favor of an interpretation limiting the 2A to the obsolete concept of the citizen militia.    That's the reality.   The gun right, with respect to your own personal security,  needs to be codified, not left dangling to the whim of a future SCOTUS majority.   I understand why it was included in the Constitution in the first place, to address a situation that no longer exists.   In the modern context,  it is seriously defective.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #177 on: March 07, 2019, 04:56:03 pm »
Rom 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:(KJV)

There was a time within my lifetime, where the nobility of a woman could best be described in the words, "Don't worry about me, save my baby!"

**nononono* :0001: *****rollingeyes*****

@roamer_1

ONLY if she had no existing children to care for.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online roamer_1

« Reply #178 on: March 07, 2019, 05:01:57 pm »
@roamer_1

ONLY if she had no existing children to care for.

No. Every woman that I know, of a certain age, would have given themselves to bring that child to life. Every one.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #179 on: March 07, 2019, 05:08:53 pm »
If the Dems win the White House,  and pack the SCOTUS with liberals,  the Heller decision will be overturned in favor of an interpretation limiting the 2A to the obsolete concept of the citizen militia.    That's the reality.   The gun right, with respect to your own personal security,  needs to be codified, not left dangling to the whim of a future SCOTUS majority.   I understand why it was included in the Constitution in the first place, to address a situation that no longer exists.   In the modern context,  it is seriously defective.
Then your opinion is the Constitution is meaningless and we have no basis for discussion.

The 2A was very clearly codified but you're saying that particular codification is defective.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 05:11:01 pm by skeeter »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #180 on: March 07, 2019, 05:18:14 pm »
Then your opinion is the Constitution is meaningless and we have no basis for discussion.

The 2A was very clearly codified but you're saying that particular codification is defective.

Bingo.  He's been consistent for quite some time in saying the Constitution isn't really the law.  The law is what judges (often leftist activists) say it is.  No matter what the Constitution may say in clear language, it's subject to review by clever lawyers and activist judges.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #181 on: March 07, 2019, 05:20:17 pm »
Bingo.  He's been consistent for quite some time in saying the Constitution isn't really the law.  The law is what judges (often leftist activists) say it is.  No matter what the Constitution may say in clear language, it's subject to review by clever lawyers and activist judges.

So much for Natural Law.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #182 on: March 07, 2019, 05:22:11 pm »

I have a far more realistic view of the stakes than you do.   But go on, keep on believing the myth that the 2A preserves your right to assemble an arsenal to shoot elected officials when our Republic provides for a perfectly reasonable mechanism for voting the bums out.

Heller was a brilliant decision grounded in the same view of the Constitution's purpose to protect our natural rights that animated Roe v. Wade.    You have the natural right to protect your person,  family and property,  not to circumvent the results of elections by violent overthrow of the government.  This isn't King George, this isn't an unwilling colony of a foreign power, this is a self-governing Constitutional Republic.   The 2A's original purpose is obsolete and functionally meaningless.

What's left is the Heller decision's use of the 2A to establish the individual RKBA.   The decision is Constitutionally sound,  but was opposed by four Justices who read no such individual right into the 2A,  let alone the Constitution's "penumbras and eminations".   The Heller decision - YOUR Constitutional rights - are as fragile as, well,  the right to abortion.   You hate and oppose with all your political might a woman's right to choose?   Then understand fully that liberals hate with equal passion the decision of "unelected judges" to secure your right to keep your family safe.           
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 05:27:51 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #183 on: March 07, 2019, 05:25:55 pm »

There is no better example of unclear language in the Constitution than the Second Amendment.   You should be thanking clever lawyers and activist judges for the temporary liberty you enjoy today.   If the Dems get their way in the next election and pack the Court,  you can kiss your guns goodbye. 

The only true solution is to Codify!     

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #184 on: March 07, 2019, 05:37:21 pm »
There is no better example of unclear language in the Constitution than the Second Amendment.   You should be thanking clever lawyers and activist judges for the temporary liberty you enjoy today.   If the Dems get their way in the next election and pack the Court,  you can kiss your guns goodbye. 

Please show me where codification is needed.

What is CODIFICATION?

https://thelawdictionary.org/codification/

The process of collecting and arranging the laws of a country or state into a code, t. e., into a complete system of positive law, scientifically ordered, and promulgated by legislative authority.
More On This Topic

What is Common Law vs. Civil Law?
    Examining the President’s Legal Responsibilities
    A Guide For Finding A Good Immigration Attorney
    The Four Pillars of the Rule of Law
    Domestic Violence Laws
    Important 2018 Law Changes You Should Know
    Divorce Process: Fundamentals You Need To Know
    Ten Cheap Law Schools That Are Actually Good
    Mortgage Law: Judicial vs. Non-Judicial Foreclosure
    Four Curious Facts About Blue Sky Laws

Related Legal Terms
CODE, EDICT, CODE CIVIL, COMPILED STATUTES, CAPITULARY, WISBY, LAWS OF, POSITIVE EAW, STATUTE BOOK, CODEX REPETITSE PRAELECTIOUIS, MANIFESTO

Online roamer_1

« Reply #185 on: March 07, 2019, 05:41:03 pm »
I understand why it was included in the Constitution in the first place, to address a situation that no longer exists.

@Jazzhead
What condition exactly 'no longer exists'?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2019, 05:49:32 pm »

That a God-given right to self defense, secured by plain language in the 2nd Amendment, is "temporary" is a testament to how far off the moorings the Constitution has been dragged by clever lawyers and activist judges.

What makes you think a leftist SCOTUS won't simply scuttle any attempt to "codify" an Amendment to the Constitution?  I'm sure plenty of emanations and penumbras could be created to justify it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2019, 05:51:39 pm »
@Jazzhead
What condition exactly 'no longer exists'?

Distrust of the government.  Everything is hunky-dory now in the modern, a gogo world don'tchaknow?

That is how stupid leftists think we unsophisticates are. 
I will NOT comply.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #188 on: March 07, 2019, 05:56:11 pm »

The only true solution is to declare war.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline skeeter

« Reply #189 on: March 07, 2019, 06:17:46 pm »
I have a far more realistic view of the stakes than you do.   But go on, keep on believing the myth that the 2A preserves your right to assemble an arsenal to shoot elected officials when our Republic provides for a perfectly reasonable mechanism for voting the bums out.

If by 'realistic' you mean flaccid I'll agree.

Seriously, I highly doubt your view is more realistic than mine. You obviously cannot see where all of this is inevitably headed. Or maybe you do.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 06:21:11 pm by skeeter »

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #190 on: March 07, 2019, 06:19:17 pm »
An idiot Bill which probably won't get through the Senate.

And This is what the mighty Democrats have birthed out of 2 years of Smoke, Thunder, Empty Promises to 'Impeach Trump' and millions down a Rat Hole HOPING to find a Headline Grabbing, Smoking HINT of Impeachable conduct.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #191 on: March 07, 2019, 06:20:53 pm »
That a God-given right to self defense, secured by plain language in the 2nd Amendment, is "temporary" is a testament to how far off the moorings the Constitution has been dragged by clever lawyers and activist judges.

What makes you think a leftist SCOTUS won't simply scuttle any attempt to "codify" an Amendment to the Constitution?  I'm sure plenty of emanations and penumbras could be created to justify it.

The God-given right to self-defense is secured by the Heller Court's construction of the 2A.   The 2A's predicate clause permits an alternate construction that would limit the Constitution's protection to the militia context, whatever the heck that means nowadays.   That alternate construction may be just an election or two away.    It is to prevent that from happening that I advocate codification of the individual right.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #192 on: March 07, 2019, 06:22:42 pm »
If by 'realistic' you mean flaccid I'll agree.

Seriously, I highly doubt your view is more realistic than mine. You obviously cannot see where all of this is inevitably headed. Or maybe you do.

Ignore my advice at your peril.   Codification of the right is necessary to ensure the protection secured by Heller is not taken away.    Better that than starting a war you won't be able to win.   

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #193 on: March 07, 2019, 06:22:45 pm »
Folks here love to label such women as murderers, 

She doesn't kill the child. She hires someone to do it.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #194 on: March 07, 2019, 06:23:11 pm »

What makes you so sure politicians would be shot?  It's cops who will get to find out how well their body armor can withstand a round from a 30-06.

Politicians won't be the ones tasked with disarming the public.  That makes this particular argument a non-sequitur.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #195 on: March 07, 2019, 06:25:06 pm »
The only true solution is to declare war.

That's a stupid thing to say.   The principle has already been established by Heller.  Now the task is to work within the framework provided by the Constitution to codify that result so it can't be taken away by a future Court.   

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #196 on: March 07, 2019, 06:26:30 pm »
Bingo.  He's been consistent for quite some time in saying the Constitution isn't really the law. 

And he is correct. The law is whatever the judges say it is. That's why The National Lampoon could exist in  1973 but not in 2019. Same Constitutional right to free expression, different laws.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #197 on: March 07, 2019, 06:28:52 pm »
What makes you so sure politicians would be shot?  It's cops who will get to find out how well their body armor can withstand a round from a 30-06.

Politicians won't be the ones tasked with disarming the public.  That makes this particular argument a non-sequitur.

Do you really think you'd get away with shooting cops?    Seriously,  the idiotic braggadocio of some gunowners is amazing.   

It took 200 years,  but the Court has finally recognized the individual right.   Build on that recognition by codifying it.   Sure beats shooting cops - that's a war you won't be able to win.   

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #198 on: March 07, 2019, 06:30:11 pm »
The God-given right to self-defense is secured by the Heller Court's construction of the 2A.   The 2A's predicate clause permits an alternate construction that would limit the Constitution's protection to the militia context, whatever the heck that means nowadays.   That alternate construction may be just an election or two away.    It is to prevent that from happening that I advocate codification of the individual right.   

Nope.  The Heller decisions does not secure the God-given right.  The 2nd Amendment does,  and a leftist SCOTUS will scuttle any attempts to codify with relative ease on the way to a total ban on civilian ownership of firearms.

That's it for me...I refuse to engage your circle-talk.  I'm just watching this thread to make sure it doesn't get hijacked again. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #199 on: March 07, 2019, 06:31:21 pm »
Do you really think you'd get away with shooting cops?    Seriously,  the idiotic braggadocio of some gunowners is amazing.   

It took 200 years,  but the Court has finally recognized the individual right.   Build on that recognition by codifying it.   Sure beats shooting cops - that's a war you won't be able to win.   

Oh, since you mentioned it...I'm not the one who brought up shooting people.  You did.
I will NOT comply.