Author Topic: Man plans to live out 'golden' age at Holiday Inn instead of retirement home  (Read 2006 times)

Offline Applewood

Man plans to live out 'golden' age at Holiday Inn instead of retirement home

A man on the brink of retirement found an alternative way to live out his "golden" years: by spending them in a Holiday Inn rather than a retirement home.

Spring, Texas, resident Terry Robison, 64, worked out a detailed comparison between the two options, and the mid-priced hotel chain appeared to win out by a landslide.

Robison wrote on Facebook that the average cost of nursing home care is about $188 per day. A long-term stay with a senior discount at Holiday Inn, on the other hand, is $59.23 per day.

More at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/man-plans-to-live-out-golden-age-at-holiday-inn-instead-of-retirement-home/ar-BBU4eXm?ocid=spartanntp

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Plus, he gets free breakfast and IHG points.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Applewood

Interesting idea.  But I'm not sure Holiday Inn will go for it.  At least the hotel could count on one of its rooms/suites always being occupied.  But the hotel might not agree to the reduced senior rate for such an indefinite period. 

Offline verga

The added benefit is that there is almost always a Waffle House of IHOP right next door.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline thackney

Man plans to live out 'golden' age at Holiday Inn instead of retirement home

More at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/man-plans-to-live-out-golden-age-at-holiday-inn-instead-of-retirement-home/ar-BBU4eXm?ocid=spartanntp

That works only as long as you don't actually need the services of a nursing home.  When he finds he needs help with prescriptions, his own balance, etc.  He really is only paying for a maid, handyman and part-time cook along with the bed and room.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

The added benefit is that there is almost always a Waffle House of IHOP right next door.

La Quinta is actually spanish for "next to Denny's".

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
That works only as long as you don't actually need the services of a nursing home.  When he finds he needs help with prescriptions, his own balance, etc.  He really is only paying for a maid, handyman and part-time cook along with the bed and room.

On the plus side, he’ll still have the option of being ignored or berated by a foreign staff member.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
  He really is only paying for a maid, handyman and part-time cook along with the bed and room.

aka...   Assisted Living.  And i would say cost effective for that need.

OTOH.. (i.e nursng home) .You are right though, don't know if I want a spanish speaking housekeeper reminding me to take my heart meds.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 04:16:40 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

aka...   Assisted Living.  And i would say cost effective for that need.

OTOH.. (i.e nursng home) .You are right though, don't know if I want a spanish speaking housekeeper reminding me to take my heart meds.

Even in assisted living, they will help you out of bed, get your prescriptions filled/renewed and dispensed.  Dress you, change your diaper if needed, bath you if needed.  Some have limitations for what they will do.  Some still operate under an assisted living license and but are equipped to let you age in place.  My father-in-law is in such a place now.

The motel is not even going to pretend about reminding you to take your meds.  An individual working there may be willing to take on such a role, on the days they work.  Different from management always seeing someone is there to get that done.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Even in assisted living, they will help you out of bed, get your prescriptions filled/renewed and dispensed.  Dress you, change your diaper if needed, bath you if needed.  Some have limitations for what they will do.  Some still operate under an assisted living license and but are equipped to let you age in place.  My father-in-law is in such a place now.

The motel is not even going to pretend about reminding you to take your meds.  An individual working there may be willing to take on such a role, on the days they work.  Different from management always seeing someone is there to get that done.

Yeah, but I would be willing to bet about a 1/3 of those in Assisted Living are using them as the same as "motels".  I read where one of the so called residents ran a marathon not too long back.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

Yeah, but I would be willing to bet about a 1/3 of those in Assisted Living are using them as the same as "motels".  I read where one of the so called residents ran a marathon not too long back.

Your mileage may vary, but my limited experience is 70~80% of those in assisted living should be in a nursing home.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

You could get in-home care, as in a caregiver who comes by daily to help with all that stuff.

Offline Applewood

If, down the road, this man needs some help, he might be able, at least at first, to have someone come to the hotel and remind him to take his meds, take him shopping or do it for him if he's not able,  and do some other practical things for him.  My health insurance operates a volunteer program which helps seniors in their own homes.  Theoretically, it costs the seniors nothing, but I'm sure the insurance premiums pay for the program.  Later, if this man needs assisted living or nursing care. he can get that later. 

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
You could get in-home care, as in a caregiver who comes by daily to help with all that stuff.

Went that appraoch for the last few years of my inlaw's lives.  You'd be surprised how much more expensive that is than a nursing home.

The advantage of living out your last days at home comes at quite a cost.

Offline thackney

You can, and we did for years.

But when you need help to get into the bed, out of the bed, dressed, etc it adds up.  24/7 care was more than double the cost of an assisted living that could allow them to age in place.  A nice place, not a big institution.  Then on top of the car cost is the cost of a home, insurance, yard care, maintenance, etc.  Then my wife got to cover all the shopping, the "oh, I forgot to put on the list...", the prescriptions, etc.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Stupid idea, economically.
The guy is paying close to $1800 a month. That could easily pay for a condo or even a moderate home. The biggest difference being that he could get a mortgage on a fixed rate. Hotel rates are unpredictable, especially on a senior discount rate. He may pay $59 this year, but the rate could be $89 next year depending on demand and dozens of different variables.

Living in a hotel is inherently an unstable situation. He should move to a living situation which is more stable, predictable, and more secure. IMO
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Applewood

Stupid idea, economically.
The guy is paying close to $1800 a month. That could easily pay for a condo or even a moderate home. The biggest difference being that he could get a mortgage on a fixed rate. Hotel rates are unpredictable, especially on a senior discount rate. He may pay $59 this year, but the rate could be $89 next year depending on demand and dozens of different variables.

Living in a hotel is inherently an unstable situation. He should move to a living situation which is more stable, predictable, and more secure. IMO

I'm guessing he doesn't want a home, but he doesn't want to go into a retirement community, assisted living or a nursing home.

Offline Victoria33

The motel is not even going to pretend about reminding you to take your meds.
@thackney

Due to spinal stenosis in my neck, I have to take a pain pill four times a day or I can't use my arms due to the high amount of pain.  I was started on the four times a day pill some months ago.  When I am busy, which is all the time, I don't know realize the time has passed to take a pill.

I fixed that several weeks ago - I bought a four times a day medicine "timer" at Amazon for $23.99.  This small timer is placed in the middle of the house so wherever you are, you hear it.  It has been wonderful to have this thing - I don't miss a pill so the pain stays reduced all day.  I don't need a nursing home with someone coming to my room to remind me to take a pill.

If you need a timer, send me a PM as I researched all of them on Amazon and read customer comments before deciding on the one I got.  Some of these things have prices over $100 and that is ridiculous.

Offline Victoria33

You can, and we did for years.  But when you need help to get into the bed, out of the bed, dressed, etc it adds up.  24/7 care was more than double the cost of an assisted living that could allow them to age in place.  A nice place, not a big institution.  Then on top of the car cost is the cost of a home, insurance, yard care, maintenance, etc.  Then my wife got to cover all the shopping, the "oh, I forgot to put on the list...", the prescriptions, etc.
@thackney
My husband had in home registered nurse care 24/7 for months paid for by his company insurance in 1989.  After he died, I realized I was by myself, did not have that company insurance anymore, and if I needed long term care in a nursing home, I had better do something.  I bought a long term nursing home care policy by Metropolitan Life through AARP.  Then Medicare came in with their minor payment for a nursing home for a short time, and Met dropped their long term policy except for those who had it then, which I did.  I have that policy on top of Medicare to keep me in a nursing home for as long as I need it, thanks to Met Life and my thought to buy it.

Offline thackney

@thackney

Due to spinal stenosis in my neck, I have to take a pain pill four times a day or I can't use my arms due to the high amount of pain.  I was started on the four times a day pill some months ago.  When I am busy, which is all the time, I don't know realize the time has passed to take a pill.

I fixed that several weeks ago - I bought a four times a day medicine "timer" at Amazon for $23.99.  This small timer is placed in the middle of the house so wherever you are, you hear it.  It has been wonderful to have this thing - I don't miss a pill so the pain stays reduced all day.  I don't need a nursing home with someone coming to my room to remind me to take a pill.

If you need a timer, send me a PM as I researched all of them on Amazon and read customer comments before deciding on the one I got.  Some of these things have prices over $100 and that is ridiculous.

My father-in-law is way past this point.  Four hours later, he would have no idea what the timer was for.

Offline Idiot

It seems I read where someone was doing something similar, but was living on a cruise ship.  At least they have a doctor on board and I suppose you could have a burial at sea...lol.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
It seems I read where someone was doing something similar, but was living on a cruise ship.  At least they have a doctor on board and I suppose you could have a burial at sea...lol.

Yes, it was a ~90 year old woman.  She seemed to think it was a wonderful way to live.

Offline thackney

I have read of several of these over the decades.

The concern would be:

COUPLE SAYS CRUISE SHIP ABANDONED THEM IN MEXICO DURING EMERGENCY
https://wdef.com/2019/02/26/couple-says-cruise-ship-abandoned-mexico-emergency/

Offline LadyLiberty

When I was a child my great grandmother was in a nursing home after a major stroke.  She couldn't walk or talk. The place was awful, I still remember how badly it smelled.  Her roommate was a lady who was still ambulatory, she was in and out of the room a lot, but she had dementia.  She was always looking for her suitcase -- she thought she was on a cruise and it was almost over and time to pack to go home.

I am ever in a place like that (not likely since I have long term care insurance), I hope that I think I am on a cruise.

Bill Cipher

The cost difference isn’t for the real estate, it’s for the nursing care.  If he thinks he’s going to get nursing care at a hotel or motel, he’s sadly mistaken.