Author Topic: More Twin Peaks cases dismissed by special prosecutors (Waco)  (Read 627 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
More Twin Peaks cases dismissed by special prosecutors (Waco)
« on: February 26, 2019, 02:18:06 am »
WacoTrib by Tommy Witherspoon 2/25/2019

One of four Houston attorneys assigned to handle four Twin Peaks biker cases as special prosecutors dismissed the remaining three cases Monday and called the way the McLennan County District Attorney's Office handled the 2015 deadly shootout a "harebrained scheme" that was "patently offensive" to him.

Special prosecutors Brian Roberts, Brian Benken, Feroz Merchant and Mandy Miller filed motions Monday to dismiss the first-degree felony engaging in organized criminal activity charges against bikers William Chance Aikin, Billy McCree and Ray Nelson. The motions to dismiss said, "Upon reviewing all the facts, circumstances and evidence, it is the state's position that no probable cause exists to believe the defendant committed the offense."

The team of special prosecutors dismissed the case against Hewitt resident Matthew Clendennen in April 2018.

"I think, unfortunately, — and this is probably a poor choice of words — but it was simply a shoot-first-ask-questions-later mentality," Roberts said. "I can't imagine what (former McLennan County DA) Abel Reyna was thinking other than this was a big case and it was somehow going to be beneficial for him or his office."

More: https://www.wacotrib.com/news/more-twin-peaks-cases-dismissed-by-special-prosecutors/article_d59fcc83-31d1-5d04-bd67-6019398a9d15.html

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: More Twin Peaks cases dismissed by special prosecutors (Waco)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 02:23:29 am »
Roberts, who made it clear that he was speaking only about the four cases he and the others were appointed to handle, said that prosecutors bear a greater responsibility to ensure that justice is done.

"Whatever justice means. Whether that means pursuing a prosecution, whether that means reducing a case, whether than means getting rid of a case, whether than means never charging a case," Robert said. "A prosecutor's job is not to put people in prison. It is to do justice. I don't think anybody can say that was done here back in 2015."

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: More Twin Peaks cases dismissed by special prosecutors (Waco)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 03:54:34 am »
Good.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis