Author Topic: GOP Sen. Thom Tillis joining Democrats in vote to block Trump's emergency declaration  (Read 1987 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP Sen. Thom Tillis joining Democrats in vote to block Trump's emergency declaration
by Daniel Chaitin
 | February 25, 2019 07:58 PM

Sen. Thom Tillis, R-N.C., announced Monday he will vote against President Trump's national emergency declaration for border security, giving Democrats another Republican ally in an effort to send a resolution of disapproval to his desk.

"As a U.S. senator, I cannot justify providing the executive with more ways to bypass Congress. As a conservative, I cannot endorse a precedent that I know future left-wing presidents will exploit to advance radical policies that will erode economic and individual freedoms," he wrote in an op-ed published in the Washington Post on Monday.

House Democrats have set a Tuesday vote to advance a resolution to reject Trump’s declaration. The measure is expected to easily pass in the Democratic-controlled House.

In the Senate, Democrats need four Republicans to defect to put it on Trump’s desk.

Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, said last week she would vote in favor of the resolution. Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, said she is likely to back disapproval too.

Trump is likely to veto the resolution if it reaches his desk, which would send it back to the House. Lawmakers could then attempt to override the veto, but that requires a two-thirds majority and cooperation from 50 Republicans, which appears unlikely.

Trump declared a national emergency on the border with Mexico on Feb. 15, after Congress refused to give him the funding he had requested to build a border wall. Sixteen states, not including Washington, filed a lawsuit last week against the Trump administration over the order that would divert billions of dollars from military construction budget for the project.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/gop-sen-thom-tillis-joining-democrats-in-vote-to-block-trumps-emergency-declaration
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Means nothing.

Veto means need 2/3 of the Senators to over-ride
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Right_in_Virginia

What the hell's going on in North Carolina?  Supporting this should be a no brainer.

Offline dfwgator

Primary his ass.

Offline Mesaclone

Should be banned from any and all funds from the party and its adjunct organizations. Disinvited from any conventions and GOP public events, primaried, and permanently removed from any and all committee postings.

For a start.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline roamer_1

Thom Tillis is a Hard-Core Conservative.

http://www.ontheissues.org/senate/thom_tillis.htm

Expect more.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I keep telling you people that membership in the DC Swamp is NOT limited to those with a D behind their names!  Plenty of Rs in there too!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Bill Cipher

Good to see someone with the courage of his convictions.

Good to see someone with the courage of his convictions.
So is a terrorist.

Your point appears elusive.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Means nothing.

Veto means need 2/3 of the Senators to over-ride
Sometimes standing up to evil, even when you fail, means something.

Primary his ass.
Absolutely.  Republicans who win elections must be stopped!!!

Offline libertybele

Primary his ass.

Yes ... problem is ... who's going to run against him to replace him??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Sometimes standing up to evil, even when you fail, means something.
What is 'evil' in your mind that appears to mean something?

Is it perhaps the evil of protecting this country from an invasion from foreigners?

What is 'evil' in your mind that appears to mean something?
Tyranny

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Should be banned from any and all funds from the party and its adjunct organizations. Disinvited from any conventions and GOP public events, primaried, and permanently removed from any and all committee postings.

For a start.

:thumbsup:

Tyranny
Your definition of tyranny might well be the definition of Leadership.

In military terms, tyranny is the only way to win a battle.

Ask any ex-military to see if they think differently.

Your definition of tyranny might well be the definition of Leadership.

In military terms, tyranny is the only way to win a battle.

Ask any ex-military to see if they think differently.
If you give up your soul to win, did you really win?

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Tillis clearly is a bottom feeding swamp dweller.  These RINOs need to be primaried and dispatched.  What he did is not leadership but betrayal to the American people.  To say there is no crisis at the border, this man would have to be in a coma for the past 20 years.

GET RID OF THE BUM WITH HIS NEXT ELECTION NORTH CAROLINA!

Offline Mesaclone

If hatred and envy lead you to surrender reason and perspective, are you really worth listening to Once-ler?
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Do not know where you are going with this, can you please be more specific rather than speaking in highly theatrical by-lines?

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Thom Tillis is a Hard-Core Conservative.

http://www.ontheissues.org/senate/thom_tillis.htm

Expect more.

I'd love to have a $ ever time an orange goon has smeared a conservative who hasn't drunk the koolaid.

Hell we'd be rich here alone.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

I'd love to have a $ ever time an orange goon has smeared a conservative who hasn't drunk the koolaid.

Hell we'd be rich here alone.

That's right, and why I posted it.
I thought we were here to promote Conservatism.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
That's right, and why I posted it.
I thought we were here to promote Conservatism.

Give 'em 5 minutes..... Trump and his minions will be calling him Lyin' Thom.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
I find the Conservative Review Liberty Scores to be more accurate (based on actual voting record) than a graphic from ontheissues.org.

https://www.conservativereview.com/scorecard/thom-tillis/

« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 12:00:25 am by EdJames »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I find the Conservative Review Liberty Scores to be more accurate (based on actual voting record) than a graphic from ontheissues.org.

https://www.conservativereview.com/scorecard/thom-tillis/

Great info!   Thanks!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien