Author Topic: Musings of a Combat Professor, Former Military Medic and Psychologist  (Read 258 times)

rangerrebew

Musings of a Combat Professor, Former Military Medic and Psychologist
by Richard Kensinger, MSW | January 28, 2018

I am now retired and conducting research on killing in combat zones. I served as a medic in the Air Force at Andrews Air Force Base (AFB) in the emergency room of Malcolm Grow hospital. I served from Nov. 1969 to Nov. 1973. There I was, also part a team who started to process prisoners of war (POW) airmen. I also served temporary duty (TDY) at Lackland AFB treating airmen who were transferred out of Vietnam and presenting with substance use disorder (SUD). I never served in Nam. Upon discharge and with the GI Bill, I obtained my advanced degrees in clinical social work and psychology.

During my 1977 through 2000 stint at the Altoona Hospital as a BHC clinician, I had the privilege of conducting psychotherapy in our outpatient clinic and treated some of my comrades referred to us from our local veteran affairs (VA) center. I did therapy with the armed combatants who killed and some of the field medics and corpsmen that killed; but far more importantly, could not save some of their brothers from death.

http://www.brainblogger.com/2018/01/28/musings-of-a-combat-professor-former-af-medic-and-retired-psychologist/