Author Topic: With women in combat roles, a federal court rules the male-only draft unconstitutional  (Read 9608 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/02/24/military-draft-judge-rules-male-only-registration-unconstitutional/2968872002/

A federal judge in Texas has declared that the all-male military draft is unconstitutional, ruling that "the time has passed" for a debate on whether women belong in the military.

The decision deals the biggest legal blow to the Selective Service System since the Supreme Court upheld the draft in 1981. In Rostker v. Goldberg, the court ruled that the male-only draft was "fully justified" because women were ineligible for combat roles.

But U.S. District Judge Gray Miller ruled late Friday that while historical restrictions on women serving in combat "may have justified past discrimination," men and women are now equally able to fight. In 2015, the Pentagon lifted all restrictions for women in military service.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Texas Judge.  Must be a Shrub appointee.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Texas Judge.  Must be a Shrub appointee.

Ayup.  From Wiki:

On January 25, 2006, Miller was nominated by President Bush to be a United States District Judge for the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas in place of Judge Ewing Werlein, Jr. who had taken senior status in 2006. He was confirmed unanimously by the Senate on April 25, 2006 and received his commission the same day. He assumed senior status on December 9, 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_H._Miller
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Nope, women should be held sacred (and I have only boys)...
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Dexter

For real?
-Socrates

Offline QueenCatofAragon

@Sighlass

Women want to be in combat & considered the same as men.  This was going to be the result all along.

Sucks for all of the females who don’t want it, but it’s what happens when society humors this stupid crap in the interest of making the armed services into a social experiment.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
A Texas judge who hasn't had sex in more than a few years.    happy77
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sighlass

Women want to be in combat & considered the same as men.  This was going to be the result all along.

Sucks for all of the females who don’t want it, but it’s what happens when society humors this stupid crap in the interest of making the armed services into a social experiment.

I agree, @QueenCatofAragon.  Sometimes you get what you wish for.   

Offline QueenCatofAragon

I agree, @QueenCatofAragon.  Sometimes you get what you wish for.

@Sanguine

I’m glad I don’t have a daughter.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sanguine

I’m glad I don’t have a daughter.

I do.  And granddaughters.  It's a rough world.

Offline Sighlass

For real?

Yes, for real ,,, still some of us that believe women are to be protected, not put on the front line (or thereabouts).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 05:00:19 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline jpsb

@Sighlass

:thumbsup:

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
@Sighlass

Hmmmm.... doesn't seem to be a problem for Israel.   :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I support universal national service. Perhaps just one year.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Yes, for real ,,, still some of us that believe women are to be protected, not put on the front line (or thereabouts).

And yet, there are many among us who think you're wrong, and need to be forced (by law, if necessary) to see it the way they want you to.  For real.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Axeslinger

@DCPatriot not so sure that’s a point that bolsters your argument:

“Women currently make up 3% of the IDF's combat soldiers. Women were employed in full combat roles during the War of Independence and early years. An incident involving the abuse of a woman's corpse led to their withdrawal from full combat until 2000, when the Caracal Battalion was raised...

Despite being officially classified as combat soldiers, women in combat roles are not deliberately deployed into combat situations. They are expected to respond in the event a combat situation does erupt, but are not deployed to situations where there is a high risk of combat.”  From wiki.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline aligncare

Give them an inch and they’ll take a mile.

Wishful thinking I suppose, but maybe this could make future presidential and congressional leaders reevaluate whether a conflict is worth getting into when we tear mothers away from their infants to go and fight. A father’s absence doesn’t impact an infant like it does a mother’s.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 05:29:28 pm by aligncare »

Offline QueenCatofAragon

@DCPatriot

I see @Axeslinger beat me to it, lol.

If you had a male relative—son, brother, father—in active combat, who got wounded, would you want his life to depend on a woman carrying him off the battlefield?

I sure wouldn’t.

Offline Sighlass

And yet, there are many among us who think you're wrong, and need to be forced (by law, if necessary) to see it the way they want you to.  For real.

I fully understand...

EDIT: Well guess they didn't like me posting a picture of Gaddafi (with his Amazon women warriors)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 05:41:33 pm by Sighlass »

Offline kevindavis007

Well if they want equal rights, this comes with the territory.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I fully understand...

EDIT: Well guess they didn't like me posting a picture of Gaddafi (with his Amazon women warriors)

Try posting a link to the image, rather than hot-linking with the "[img]" command.  Just post the URL.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Dexter

I do.  And granddaughters.  It's a rough world.

There will likely never be another draft, so this is mostly just symbolic.
-Socrates

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@DCPatriot

I see @Axeslinger beat me to it, lol.

If you had a male relative—son, brother, father—in active combat, who got wounded, would you want his life to depend on a woman carrying him off the battlefield?

I sure wouldn’t.

Depends on the woman.  There are quite a few at the right-hand section of the Bell Curve for physical strength.  The problem with that is, the Feminists will demand the standards for physical fitness be lowered to allow a gal who's 5 foot 2 inches to serve in combat, so that's where I have to end up agreeing with your premise.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Dexter

I think men should be held sacred and protected too.
-Socrates