Author Topic: Meet the M203 Grenade Launcher: The U.S. Army and Marine Corps Secret Weapon  (Read 382 times)

rangerrebew

February 22, 2019

Meet the M203 Grenade Launcher: The U.S. Army and Marine Corps Secret Weapon

She might be old but she can kill.
by Kyle Mizokami

One of the most powerful weapons available to U.S. Army and Marine Corps infantry is a grenade launcher designed to fit underneath the M16 rifle.

The M203 grenade launcher gave soldiers unprecedented grenade range in a compact, durable package. The weapon, introduced in the waning days of the Vietnam War, is only now being replaced by a new, similar one.

In the late 1950s and early 1960s, the U.S. Army overhauled its infantry weapon arsenal. Passed over for updates as the service prepared for nuclear warfare, it gradually became exceedingly obvious that the M-1 Garand and other small arms left over from World War II were painfully obsolete, especially in light of Communist Bloc armaments such as the AK-47.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/meet-m203-grenade-launcher-us-army-and-marine-corps-secret-weapon-45337

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
FWIW,I don't think I have ever seen a day when I would prefer an AK over a Garand.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
FWIW,I don't think I have ever seen a day when I would prefer an AK over a Garand.

I can't see how anyone would. I've bought two Service Grade Garands from CMP, one for each of my sons. I'm thinking of buying another for myself.

Each M1 Garand rifle sold by CMP is an authentic U.S. Government rifle that has been inspected, headspaced, repaired if necessary and test fired for function. Each rifle is shipped with safety manual, one eight-round clip and chamber safety flag. Orders are filled on a first-come first serve basis. Rifles of all grades are packed for shipment purely by "luck of the draw". Rifles do not have import marks. Prices are subject to change. If price has changed after an order has been received, customers will be notified before new prices are charged. Free Shipping except Puerto Rico and PO Boxes--Contact CMP for additional S&H.. Click here for ordering information.

SERVICE GRADE: (Good to Very Good)

Service Grade Rifles show less wear and better appearance than Field or Rack Grades. Good to very good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the parkerized finish. May have pitting on the metal parts. Wood will be either Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety and will be basically sound but may have minor hairline cracks, dings, scratches and gouges. Wood may not match in color or type of wood. Wood may be of new production but may be used and show signs of wear on Service Grade Garands. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections. The barrel crown may be nicked, but the muzzle will gauge "3 or less" and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5.

Manufacturer selection only guarantees the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel and the other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers.

RM1SERVICE    M1 Garand, Luck of the draw for Springfield or Harrington & Richardson manufacturer. Orders will be filled with next available Service grade rifle. See above for Service Grade description. Rifle shipped in CMP hard rifle case.    $750.00 Free Shipping

There are other grades and Sniper Models as well.

Per the newly completed and signed Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the U.S. Army and the Civilian Marksmanship Program,  M1 Garands will be limited to eight per calendar year, per customer.  The CMP considers any item containing an M1 Garand receiver with a serial number to be an M1 Garand and will deduct from the eight M1 Garand rifle limit per year.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/