Author Topic: Bay of Pigs veteran serving America’s longest marijuana sentence may be headed to a new prison: Cuba  (Read 337 times)

Offline corbe

Bay of Pigs veteran serving America’s longest marijuana sentence may be headed to a new prison: Cuba

by Steven Nelson

February 23, 2019 08:33 AM

Cuban exile Antonio "Tony" Bascaro is preparing to leave federal prison, where he has spent most of his adult life serving the nation’s longest-known stretch for dealing marijuana. But the 84-year-old fears trading one cell for another.

That’s because Bascaro, a pilot who trained for the 1961 Bay of Pigs invasion, is not a U.S. citizen and risks being detained and ejected from the country upon release. Bascaro says if he's returned to Cuba, he could spend the rest of his life as a political prisoner.

“My life will be in jeopardy, if deported,” Bascaro told the Washington Examiner from a federal prison in Miami. “But by experience, I'm ready [for] anything that may happen at my release.”

Bascaro, who now walks with a cane, was arrested in 1980 for helping import more than a half-million pounds of pot, using his aviation skills to scout landing sites along Florida's coast. He was sentenced to 60 years in prison but will get out after about 40 for good behavior.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/foreign/bay-of-pigs-veteran-serving-americas-longest-marijuana-sentence-may-be-headed-to-a-new-prison-cuba
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.