Author Topic: More Second Amendment Tea Leaves From the Supreme Court  (Read 449 times)

rangerrebew

More Second Amendment Tea Leaves From the Supreme Court
« on: February 23, 2019, 03:39:12 pm »

by TTAG Contributor |

Feb 22, 2019 |

Reading the tea leaves of what may be going on behind the tightly closed doors of the Supreme Court is always a dicey proposition. However, it’s becoming increasingly clear to me that the Court is indeed gearing up for a major overhaul of Second Amendment jurisprudence.

As TTAG readers will recall, the Court granted cert earlier this year on New York Rifle & Pistol Association v. City of New York. Some TTAG commenters poo-pooed the significance of that case, opining that because it only addresses a narrow aspect of NYC’s ultra-restrictive firearms laws, it won’t likely be of any real significance for the rest of us.

I have long viewed the case as a classic “test case” that could be the vehicle for the Supreme Court to slap recalcitrant lower courts into line, probably by declaring that laws that materially impact Second Amendment rights must be subjected to strict scrutiny. (When laws are subject to constitutional “strict scrutiny,” they almost never survive the challenge.)

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/02/ttag-contributor/more-second-amendment-tea-leaves-from-the-supreme-court/

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Re: More Second Amendment Tea Leaves From the Supreme Court
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 03:45:06 pm »

by TTAG Contributor |

Feb 22, 2019 |

Reading the tea leaves of what may be going on behind the tightly closed doors of the Supreme Court is always a dicey proposition. However, it’s becoming increasingly clear to me that the Court is indeed gearing up for a major overhaul of Second Amendment jurisprudence.

As TTAG readers will recall, the Court granted cert earlier this year on New York Rifle & Pistol Association v. City of New York. Some TTAG commenters poo-pooed the significance of that case, opining that because it only addresses a narrow aspect of NYC’s ultra-restrictive firearms laws, it won’t likely be of any real significance for the rest of us.

I have long viewed the case as a classic “test case” that could be the vehicle for the Supreme Court to slap recalcitrant lower courts into line, probably by declaring that laws that materially impact Second Amendment rights must be subjected to strict scrutiny. (When laws are subject to constitutional “strict scrutiny,” they almost never survive the challenge.)

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2019/02/ttag-contributor/more-second-amendment-tea-leaves-from-the-supreme-court/

I have never cared for the idea that something that is clear needs to have "strict scrutiny" added like "shall not be infringed" is not enough. To me, just a simple fellow from a hick state, that implies that laws against gun owners can have liberals decide that something is "strict" when in reality "shall not be infringed" is dang to the point.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 03:57:28 pm »
I have never cared for the idea that something that is clear needs to have "strict scrutiny" added like "shall not be infringed" is not enough. To me, just a simple fellow from a hick state, that implies that laws against gun owners can have liberals decide that something is "strict" when in reality "shall not be infringed" is dang to the point.

Something needs to happen at SCOTUS because the state of California cannot be allowed to continue to violate 2A as they have been. Here we are damn close to outright firearm confiscation.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 04:08:22 pm »
Something needs to happen at SCOTUS because the state of California cannot be allowed to continue to violate 2A as they have been. Here we are damn close to outright firearm confiscation.

If a disgruntled Spouse or relative decides to get your guns confiscated they just need to help of an unscrupulous shrink.  Poof!  Confiscated.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: