Author Topic: Pelosi in Laredo to block Trump border emergency, which Democrats say could cost Texas millions  (Read 932 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Kevin Diaz Feb. 22, 2019

U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi used the backdrop of a border bridge in Laredo on Friday to open her push to block President Trump's national emergency declaration, which Democrats say could re-direct nearly $520 million in military construction funds from Texas.

"The president's act is lawless and does violence to our Constitution, and therefore, to our democracy," Pelosi told reporters. "Not only is he disrespecting the legislative branch and the Constitution of the United States, he is dishonoring the office in which he serves."

Pelosi was joined by Laredo Mayor Pete Saenz and U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar, a Laredo Democrat who helped negotiate a bipartisan $1.37 billion border funding deal that averted another partial government shutdown. Trump, however, has sought some $6 billion for new border barriers and has vowed to use emergency powers to circumvent Congress and siphon money from the Pentagon.

The Democratic-led House plans to vote Tuesday to pass legislation opposing Trump's move, which critics say is unconstitutional. The resolution, brought by San Antonio Democrat Joaquin Castro, would then force a vote within 18 days in the Senate, where some Republicans have signaled their support.

"This is a historic power grab, and it will require historic unity by members of Congress, Republican and Democrat, liberal and conservative, to counteract the president's parasitic movement," Castro, chairman of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, told reporters in a conference call Friday.

Democrats have also argued that there is no "crisis" at the border, noting that border apprehensions have decreased from previous decades. A group of 16 states also filed suit to block the emergency declaration.

Trump said later Friday that he would veto any measure from Congress to block his emergency declaration.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/article/Pelosi-in-Laredo-to-block-Trump-border-emergency-13637910.php

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Give it up, Nancy.

You lost.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline libertybele

Give it up, Nancy.

You lost.

How do you figure she lost??   Minimal $$ have been allocated for NEW fence.  The bill that Trump signed allows states to opt out of a barrier and right now border patrol is using Concrete K-Rails and Concertina Wire in El Paso to keep out the latest round of illegals pouring over the border.

So exactly how is it she lost??  Looks to me like the American people lost BIGLY!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bilo

How do you figure she lost??   Minimal $$ have been allocated for NEW fence.  The bill that Trump signed allows states to opt out of a barrier and right now border patrol is using Concrete K-Rails and Concertina Wire in El Paso to keep out the latest round of illegals pouring over the border.

So exactly how is it she lost??  Looks to me like the American people lost BIGLY!!

From what I've read from all the different funding sources Trump has been able to identify about 8 billion for the wall. Where he is replacing, or putting in new, the wall that's going in is 30' tall. I would love to see the Rats falling apart like they did on election day 2016, but even if they aren't Trump is making progress.

When Trump wins the lawsuit over the national emergency declaration the funding issue for the wall is over. The question will be does he win in 2020 and get to finish the wall. I think the answer is yes.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Give it up, Nancy.

You lost.

No she didn't.  She got Trump to blink and now she's going to exploit his "compromise" on the spending bill (without the money he asked for) for as much as she can.

Otherwise she wouldn't feel ballsy enough to show up in Texas like this where she's not welcome outside of the Austin/Houston/San ANtonio triangle.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline libertybele

From what I've read from all the different funding sources Trump has been able to identify about 8 billion for the wall. Where he is replacing, or putting in new, the wall that's going in is 30' tall. I would love to see the Rats falling apart like they did on election day 2016, but even if they aren't Trump is making progress.

When Trump wins the lawsuit over the national emergency declaration the funding issue for the wall is over. The question will be does he win in 2020 and get to finish the wall. I think the answer is yes.

You do understand that the bill that he signed allows states to opt out of a border wall??  Which means that the entire fence will NOT get built; therefore there will be large areas of border with no barrier.

Secondly, he is being sued at last count by 16 states.  There is no guarantee that the SCOTUS will rule in his favor granting him authority to reapportion funds for which Congress has already allocated.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bilo

You do understand that the bill that he signed allows states to opt out of a border wall??  Which means that the entire fence will NOT get built; therefore there will be large areas of border with no barrier.

Secondly, he is being sued at last count by 16 states.  There is no guarantee that the SCOTUS will rule in his favor granting him authority to reapportion funds for which Congress has already allocated.

I understand. I am as frustrated as everyone else at how difficult it is to get a simple border wall built. I just am not going to let the biased negative propagandists get me down.

I do see 30' bollards being put on the border. I do see the Trump Admn. pursuing multiple sources of funding and pushing ahead. I recognize that there will be sections that don't get built, but I think even in these areas the tune will change when most of the illegal crossings get funneled through these openings.

Yeah, Trump signed a terrible bill. Why did he do it? I think McConnell told him if he didn't so many Pubs would turn on him the next bill would have no funding and would be even worse. I would have preferred that he didn't sign it, but he did. The flip side is a real wall is being built, just a lot slower than we want.

Bill Cipher

No.  The power to declare a national emergency is logically distinct from the ability to steal from the funding sources he’s identified. 

He’ll most likely win on the mere power to declare an emergency because Congress was stupid enough to make the power carte blanc.  But the statutory requirements that he has to meet before he can steal military appropriations and use them for his wall are much higher, and there is a very good chance he will lose on that.  Then there’s the issue of acquiring the land.  He doesn’t get to use fast-take to steal the land because Congress didn’t appropriate the money for that purpose.  Therefore, he cannot take land from any owner who objects until it’s gone through the courts, which will take years. 

There won’t be some bigley Trump Wall on the border, ever.  There will instead be bits and pieces here and there, like the mouth of an old boxer - missing most of his teeth - and the next president in 2021 will simply rescind the Trump “emergency” declaration just as easily as he made it, at which point the game is over.  No wall.  Ever. 

Offline bilo

No.  The power to declare a national emergency is logically distinct from the ability to steal from the funding sources he’s identified. 

He’ll most likely win on the mere power to declare an emergency because Congress was stupid enough to make the power carte blanc.  But the statutory requirements that he has to meet before he can steal military appropriations and use them for his wall are much higher, and there is a very good chance he will lose on that.  Then there’s the issue of acquiring the land.  He doesn’t get to use fast-take to steal the land because Congress didn’t appropriate the money for that purpose.  Therefore, he cannot take land from any owner who objects until it’s gone through the courts, which will take years. 

There won’t be some bigley Trump Wall on the border, ever.  There will instead be bits and pieces here and there, like the mouth of an old boxer - missing most of his teeth - and the next president in 2021 will simply rescind the Trump “emergency” declaration just as easily as he made it, at which point the game is over.  No wall.  Ever.

I think you're wrong.

From what I've seen Trump is relentless. It is being built right now and if he wins re-election it will get finished.

There really is no point going over the money side of this it's been covered so many times. Trump does have the authority to move money around and build the wall.

Offline RetBobbyMI

Someone should have taken her about 30 to 50 miles west of Laredo to she the human coyotes and see real border problems that are immoral.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline bilo

Someone should have taken her about 30 to 50 miles west of Laredo to she the human coyotes and see real border problems that are immoral.

:amen:

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

The resolution, brought by San Antonio Democrat Joaquin Castro, would then force a vote within 18 days in the Senate, where some Republicans have signaled their support.

Is this correct?  Can it be amended to stall it?

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

I understand. I am as frustrated as everyone else at how difficult it is to get a simple border wall built.

Building a border wall is simple.  You just need to convince voters.  Last November President Trump pleaded with the voters to give him the legislature that would pass funding for a border wall.  The voters told him "No."

Trump can try again in 2020.  If his idea is popular enough like bombing Iraq, eliminating AFDC, or providing prescription drug benefits, representative will climb over each other to prove they heard the voters.