Author Topic: The Supreme Court curtails states’ power to seize property  (Read 570 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Economist 2/21/2019

https://www.economist.com/democracy-in-america/2019/02/21/the-supreme-court-curtails-states-power-to-seize-property

Justice done

The Supreme Court curtails states’ power to seize property

The unanimous decision is being cheered by advocates on the left and right

TYSON TIMBS, a man from Indiana, had his $42,000 Land Rover seized in 2015 after he pleaded guilty to selling $385 worth of heroin to undercover police. The confiscation seemed unreasonable to the small-time drug dealer, so Mr Timbs sued, arguing that the Eighth Amendment’s bar on “excessive fines” protected him from having so much of his property grabbed by authorities. The justices heard Mr Timbs's case in November, putting civil-asset forfeiture—a widespread and widely reviled practice whereby police take control of property that was used in a suspected crime—under scrutiny. But until February 20th, the constitutional protection against excessive fines applied only when the federal government tried to take too much from the accused. With the Supreme Court’s 9-0 decision in Timbs v Indiana, states and localities are now on notice that they are constrained as well.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg (pictured) wrote for a unanimous court in Timbs, finding that the constitution protects people accused of crimes from having outlandish sums seized by city or state authorities. In the language of the law, the excessive-fines clause is now “incorporated” against the states, as are nearly all of the other protections in the Bill of Rights. As Justice Ginsburg explained, with only a few exceptions, the Supreme Court “has held that the Fourteenth Amendment’s due-process clause incorporates the protections contained in the Bill of Rights, rendering them applicable to the states”. A right qualifies for incorporation “if it is ‘fundamental to our scheme of ordered liberty’, or ‘deeply rooted in this nation’s history and tradition’.

SCOTUSblog
https://www.scotusblog.com/2019/02/friday-round-up-459/#more-283199

Friday round-up

At The Economist’s Democracy in America blog, Steven Mazie covers the court’s decision Tuesday in Timbs v. Indiana, in which the justices ruled unanimously “that the constitution protects people accused of crimes from having outlandish sums seized by city or state authorities.” Subscript Law offers a graphic explainer for the decision. At Bloomberg Law, Jordan Rubin and Kimberly Robinson report that in separate concurrences, Justices Clarence Thomas and Neil Gorsuch supported “incorporating the Eighth Amendment’s excessive fines clause to the states by way of the privileges or immunities clause instead of via the Fourteenth Amendment’s due process clause,” “a view of the Constitution that could be incredibly consequential were it to eventually find favor with a majority of justices.” Commentary comes from Jason Snead and Elizabeth Slattery at The Daily Signal and Alan Kaplinsky at The National Law Review. At Stanford Law School’s Legal Aggregate blog, Sharon Driscoll discusses the decision with law professor Robert Weisberg.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: The Supreme Court curtails states’ power to seize property
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 08:53:07 pm »
Take That Sessions! 0380000

Offline LMAO

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 09:23:40 pm »
Bravo
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 05:42:16 am »
?????

And here I was believing RBG was good for less than nothing!

This is Very Cool!

When laws are passed they usually come along with Penalties written out.

NOT, however much the arresting PD and DA think they can get away with!

Asset Forfiture is a grievous stain upon Equal Protection and the very Right to own Private Property.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 05:44:34 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 02:00:14 am »
This has nothing to do with taking a "much needed tool to shut down drug pushers away from law enforcement".

If cops can get away with it against moral reprobates - which is, NOT a CRIME, they can Rob anyone.

Well Done SCOTUS.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com