Author Topic: The price of Cuomo’s war on natural gas is only starting to kick in  (Read 470 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Mario's dumbest son is earning the label. 

New Yorkers experienced the headache caused by Gov. Cuomo’s crusade against natural gas last week, when a public hearing was held to discuss Con Edison’s January announcement that it would institute a moratorium on accepting new gas customers in Westchester County.

The Empire State has stymied the construction of the necessary transmission infrastructure, so Con Ed is unable to keep up with demand. In addition to his decision to ban hydraulic fracturing in 2014 — aborting any hope that New York could profit from some of its most valuable natural resources — Cuomo and his regulators have denied necessary permits for three separate natural-gas pipeline projects.

National Grid may soon follow Con Ed’s lead. Imagine: A major utility company is prepared to turn away potential customers, not ­because it wants to, but because Cuomo and his allies refuse to admit the need for ­energy supplied by natural gas. And because they’re equally in denial about natural gas’ environmental benefits.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/21/the-price-of-cuomos-war-on-natural-gas-is-only-starting-to-kick-in/
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: The price of Cuomo’s war on natural gas is only starting to kick in
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 01:11:45 am »
This started with Mario.  i recall in the 80s when he stopped natural gas pipeline construction with NIMBY.

New York as a glorious history of imposing unnecessary burdens on its citizens.

Meanwhile, its next door neighbor and its citizens are getting rich off the largess of the gas industry. 

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 02:10:21 am »
A problem with New York state prohibiting new gas pipeline construction is that it also prevents more gas from getting into the states east of it. In time we may see gas providers in Connecticut and Massachusetts putting a moratorium on new construction with gas, as well.

Sadly, I doubt this will change.
If anything, the governors who are elected AFTER lil' Andy will be WORSE than he is!

Aside:
Perhaps a solution for New England would be to pipe in gas from Canada...?
Or... import it from Russia. As odd as that may seem, might be the best solution!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 02:58:51 pm »
A problem with New York state prohibiting new gas pipeline construction is that it also prevents more gas from getting into the states east of it. In time we may see gas providers in Connecticut and Massachusetts putting a moratorium on new construction with gas, as well.

Sadly, I doubt this will change.
If anything, the governors who are elected AFTER lil' Andy will be WORSE than he is!

Aside:
Perhaps a solution for New England would be to pipe in gas from Canada...?
Or... import it from Russia. As odd as that may seem, might be the best solution!
you need to read up on the way the Iroquios natural gas pipeline happened.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1990/05/27/passions-flow-over-proposed-iroquois-gas-pipeline/5bd4810c-71b7-4800-86d6-f4fc808bd5e7/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.3304327a16b7

It was a fight.

Ironically, now that the Marcellus has kicked in, there is discussion of reversing its flow and sending gas to Canada.

Life is good in America.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 03:02:59 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington