Author Topic: The biggest Trout in baseball’s river  (Read 1334 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
The biggest Trout in baseball’s river
« on: March 19, 2019, 09:33:45 pm »
Baseball's best---now and also in comparison to a passel of Hall of Famers---will stay an Angel . . . and an off-the-charts wealthy one.
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2019/03/19/the-biggest-trout-in-baseballs-river/

Photographed by yours truly at Angel
Stadium, Trout begins a swing that hit one
over the left center field fence.

Those looking forward to any kind of bidding war for baseball’s best player after the 2020 season, sorry to disappoint you. Really. Bryce Harper looking forward to him joining up with the Phillies, about an hour south of where he was born and raised, can quit looking now.

When the Phillies signed Harper for thirteen years and $330 million, I suggested that plus the Manny Machado deal in San Diego (ten years, $300 million) would do Mike Trout the biggest favour of anyone. And if ESPN’s Jeff Passan is right, and the Angels are putting the finishing touch on a contract extension that’ll pay him $36 million a year for ten years after his current deal expires after the 2020 season, then I was right, too.

The one supposition in baseball today that nobody was going to contradict is that Trout was going to be an extremely wealthy young man. In human terms, he’ll still be a young man when the extension finishes its course, though in baseball terms he might be a senior citizen at age 40.

Including his 2019 and 2020 salaries Trout has $430 million coming until 2030. And he probably agreed to take less than he’s actually worth, which tells you the state of free agency now, but that wasn’t exactly Trout’s obsession. Staying with the only team he’s ever played for was probably far more important. For himself and for the game itself, since single-team careers were actually as comparatively rare before free agency as after. (And, yes, you can look it up.)

And if he keeps playing for at least half the term at the level he’s played since his first full major league season, Trout will graduate from legend to demigod, a status from which he’s not exactly long distance as it is now.

I’ve been tinkering with the concept of a real batting average for awhile. My original formulation didn’t quite satisfy, because I thought I needed to draw a better bead on figuring what a batter actually does by and for himself at the plate. The traditional batting average’s flaw is that it really should be considered a hitting average: it divides hits by official at-bats and treats all hits equally. Stop me if you get the idea at once.

But 1) all hits are not equal; and, 2) batters also draw unintentional walks and, believe it or not, perform sacrifices. If that seems like I’m approaching on-base percentage, yes, OBP is really a better way to measure a batter but it, too, accounts solely for official at-bats. So, out goes my original idea and in comes this measure: total bases (TB) plus walks (BB) plus sacrifices (SAC)  divided by plate appearances. (Total bases account for your actual hits, as in one for a single, two for a double, three for a triple, four for a homer.) Or, TB + BB + SAC / PA. Yes, I can think of any number of my childhood math teachers who’d need psychiatric attention after seeing me tinkering this way, since I was about as good a math student in school as B.B. King was at playing a vibraphone.

I’ve spent the past couple of days examining by that formula every Hall of Fame position player who played the majority of their careers in the post-World War II/post-integration/night baseball era. There are 69 of them. The average RBA among all those 69 Hall of Famers is .532. Eleven of them have RBAs of .600 or better: in ascending order, Chipper Jones (.600), Mike Schmidt (.600), Hank Aaron (.603), Jeff Bagwell (.606), Willie Mays (.611), Stan Musial (.615), Ralph Kiner (.620), Jim Thome (.629), Frank Thomas (.629), Mickey Mantle (.636), and Ted Williams (.708), with Williams the only one of the group above .700.*

The $430 million Angel through the end of last season has a .698 RBA.

Think about that a moment. In terms of a real batting average, accounting for all his plate appearances, the real value of his hits, plus his walks and sacrifices, Mike Trout has a higher real batting average than all but one post-World War II/post-integration/night baseball-era Hall of Famer, and he’s only behind Ted Williams by ten points while being ahead of runner-up Mickey Mantle by 31 points. (And, to put things into further perspective, Trout’s home ballpark isn’t exactly a hitter’s paradise.)

In case you were wondering, here’s where Bryce Harper and Manny Machado, the big nuggets of this winter/spring’s free agent class (whose home ballparks until now haven’t exactly been hitters’ paradises, either, though Nationals Park is more neutral), happen to sit lifetime so far: Harper---.587. Machado---.527. Harper's above the aforementioned Hall of Fame average RBA; Machado is below it.

Bet on it: If Trout had hit his first free agency this winter/spring, Harper and Machado would have been footnotes by comparison. All three have played in all or parts of the same number of major league seasons (seven), all three have been considered among the game’s elite, but Trout leaves Harper and Machado far enough behind that they’ll need GPSs to keep an eye on him.

Now we can mention the secondary details, such as Trout is going to earn the highest average annual salary on the extension in baseball history, for now. Not to mention all reporting on the deal saying that Trout’s extension, like Harper’s new deal, has no opt-out clause and full no-trade protection. And, we can think aloud about the reasons beyond his baseball virtuosity that Trout was shown that kind of money: he may be the one player in baseball above all others now who couldn’t care less about it.

Baseball may have a real problem in making its best player the game’s face, but Trout isn’t exactly in a big hurry to cash in on the idea and never really was. If he got endorsements and television spots off the field, he didn’t go out of his way to hunt anything more. They came to him, he’d accept, but he wouldn’t lobby for more endorsements, bigger dollars from them, more branding from them. He’s the lowest maintenance superstar baseball’s seen in a couple of generations.

Maybe the only extravagance Trout was ever known to indulge (his known passion for meteorology is just that, a passion) was his proposal to the young woman who’s been his love since high school and his wife since December 2017—he hired a skywriting team to pour out, “Will you marry me Jess?”

Now, if only the Angels, who aren’t exactly in the poorhouse despite deciding to make Mike Trout worth the economy of a single tropical paradise, can figure out a way to build a team baseball’s best player and the no-questions-asked best ever to wear an Angel uniform can be proud of.
----------------------
* Click the link to see the actual tables I present; I couldn't reproduce them here.---Yours truly.
----------------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@AllThatJazzZ
@AmericanaPrime
@Applewood
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@Freya
@GrouchoTex
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@TomSea
@truth_seeker

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: The biggest Trout in baseball’s river
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 09:44:35 pm »
Congratulations Mr. Trout.  You are certainly a once in a generation talent, and are being paid accordingly.  As an AL West dweller, I do have to wonder if you have weighed the point that your present locale  in Anaheim is probably not most conducive toward getting a ring.

I am guessing in about 5 years, after you realize that swimming in an ocean of cash doesn't necessarily buy you Baseball Nirvana, that you will review your options and ask for a move.  For your sake, I hope you do not get injured or have diminished sklls before then.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 10:04:11 pm »
@catfish1957

Admit it...all you old coots who populate these baseball threads only do so because baseball helps you sleep...right?

:tongue2:
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 10:17:45 pm »
@catfish1957

Admit it...all you old coots who populate these baseball threads only do so because baseball helps you sleep...right?

@Axeslinger
We populate baseball threads because we understand that baseball is a) the thinking person's sport; and, b) what Red Smith once said: dull only to dull minds.  22222frying pan

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 10:50:11 pm »
@catfish1957

@Axeslinger

Pfffff...    :cool:

Baseball is special for me for a number of reasons. 

(1) Statistics.  Numbers are hallowed in this game.  Most of us grew up with 714, 56, .400, and 162.  I as an Astros fan can probably spout most  team records from memory.  The tracking and pursuit of these numbers are golden.  That is why at any professional game, maybe 10% of. the crowd has their program and is taking score.

(2) Tradition- Many of can remember our childhood hero on almost a year by year basis, and name every starter on the team for that year.  Say versus football....   Who can name all 22 starters....   I know I sure can't even with the team i keep up with.   Events are elevated as it is a special time when you see  a record or a no-hitter, or even a brawl.  These often runs trans-generational, and do my best to share this experience now even with my grandchildren.

(3) Skills-  It takes a very special athlete  to be able to throw and hit a 100 mph fastball.  In my 20's  I made it a point to get box seats, and attend every Nolan Ryan game so I could go down to the baseline bullpen to watch and yes, to hear him warm up.  Watching the fastest pitcher in history hit a mitt is an experience I will never forget.  Plus, even some the other greatest atletes in history have failed though they may exceled at every other sport.  Michael Jordon in his glory could only hit .206 lifetime in the minor leagues.

(4) The strategy-  True baseball fans know how much goes on behind the scenes on every single pitch, From pitch placement, defensive placement, base running, game calling, lineup prep etc. ....hell I could go on for an hour.  I also love that this is a sport that isn't dictated by a clock.  The game is a chess match, where most others are fast paced or brute force checkers.

I understand how you could view it as slow paced, but for some of us, it is our summer past time.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 10:57:50 pm »
@Axeslinger
We populate baseball threads because we understand that baseball is a) the thinking person's sport; and, b) what Red Smith once said: dull only to dull minds.  22222frying pan

@EasyAce
@catfish1957

(Disclaimer:   I hope y’all know I’m just poking fun for fun’s sake)

But somehow in BOTH of your responses you BOTH manages to misspell:

“Baseball: seven guys standing around watching two guys play catch”
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 11:01:53 pm »
@Axeslinger

Pfffff...    :cool:

Baseball is special for me for a number of reasons. 

(1) Statistics.  Numbers are hallowed in this game.  Most of us grew up with 714, 56, .400, and 162.  I as an Astros fan can probably spout most  team records from memory.  The tracking and pursuit of these numbers are golden.  That is why at any professional game, maybe 10% of. the crowd has their program and is taking score.

(2) Tradition- Many of can remember our childhood hero on almost a year by year basis, and name every starter on the team for that year.  Say versus football....   Who can name all 22 starters....   I know I sure can't even with the team i keep up with.   Events are elevated as it is a special time when you see  a record or a no-hitter, or even a brawl.  These often runs trans-generational, and do my best to share this experience now even with my grandchildren.

(3) Skills-  It takes a very special athlete  to be able to throw and hit a 100 mph fastball.  In my 20's  I made it a point to get box seats, and attend every Nolan Ryan game so I could go down to the baseline bullpen to watch and yes, to hear him warm up.  Watching the fastest pitcher in history hit a mitt is an experience I will never forget.  Plus, even some the other greatest atletes in history have failed though they may exceled at every other sport.  Michael Jordon in his glory could only hit .206 lifetime in the minor leagues.

(4) The strategy-  True baseball fans know how much goes on behind the scenes on every single pitch, From pitch placement, defensive placement, base running, game calling, lineup prep etc. ....hell I could go on for an hour.  I also love that this is a sport that isn't dictated by a clock.  The game is a chess match, where most others are fast paced or brute force checkers.

I understand how you could view it as slow paced, but for some of us, it is our summer past time.
@catfish1957
@Axeslinger

Baseball begins in the spring, the season of new life.
Football begins in the fall, when everything's dying . . .

. . . Football has hitting, clipping, spearing, piling on, personal fouls, late hitting and unnecessary roughness.
Baseball has the sacrifice . . .

. . . Baseball has the seventh inning stretch.
Football has the two minute warning.

Baseball has no time limit: we don't know when it's gonna end - might have extra innings.
Football is rigidly timed, and it will end even if we've got to go to sudden death . . .

. . . In football the object is for the quarterback, also known as the field general, to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the defense by hitting his receivers with deadly accuracy in spite of the blitz, even if he has to use shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs, he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack that punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy's defensive line.

In baseball the object is to go home.

---George Carlin.

Baseball is one of the few enduring institutions in America that has been continuous and adaptable and in touch with its origins. As a result, baseball is not simply an essential part of this country; it is a living memory of what American culture at its best wishes to be.

The game is quintessentially American in the way it puts the premium on both the individual and on the team; in the way it encourages enterprise and imagination and yet asserts the supreme power of the law. Baseball is quintessentially American in the way it tells us that much as you travel and far as you go, out to the green frontier, the purpose is to get home, back to where the others are; the pioneer ever striving to come back to the common place.

---A. Bartlett Giamatti, well before he left the presidency of Yale for the presidency of the National League, in what was surely the 1980s' most exemplary example of upward mobility.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 11:19:29 pm »
I like baseball best when it's played by people who really love the game instead of a bunch of millionairess concerned only with making another  $.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 04:43:04 pm »
@EasyAce

A. Bartlett Giamatti, well before he left the presidency of Yale for the presidency of the National League, in what was surely the 1980s' most exemplary example of upward mobility.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 05:02:54 pm »
We had this discussion about baseball vs other sports last night.
My wife and another couple were talking about the upcoming season.
3 out of 4 of us are retired, with me being the sole employee of our group.
They asked me if I was going to be able to slip away on the 28th, to come watch the Astros/Rays at the local Icehouse, a 3:00 pm start here locally.
(No, they are not corrupting me, or tempting me with things like beer, or anything like that. No arm-twisting here, I say).

While I like a lot of other sports, baseball has always been #1 for me, and as most often is the case, @EasyAce has made the case more eloquently than I ever could.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 05:06:20 pm »
While I like a lot of other sports, baseball has always been #1 for me

:beer:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 05:17:12 pm »
Well, the unrealistic fantasies of a lot of Phillies phans have been dashed,  but I say congratulations to the greatest ballplayer of the age.   

As usual, @EasyAce , great essay.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 10:30:12 pm »
:beer:

I hope my Phightins destroy Atlanta so bad this year that they make General Sherman look merciful.
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 10:35:14 pm »
Well, the unrealistic fantasies of a lot of Phillies phans have been dashed,  but I say congratulations to the greatest ballplayer of the age.   

As usual, @EasyAce , great essay.

I have to admit that I was disappointed about 2021 for about 10 minutes; then, I told myself to get over it and be grateful for what I got in 2019. Harper, Realmuto, Cutch, Segura and Robertson is a helluva haul in one off-season. Let's GO!
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 12:48:48 am »
I hope my Phightins destroy Atlanta so bad this year that they make General Sherman look merciful.

@FeelNoPain

Well, alrighty then!!  I can respect the enthusiasm, even as I disagree with the premise.   :laugh:

Welcome to TBR, in any case.  More baseball fans can only make it a better place!

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2019, 02:39:20 am »
More baseball fans can only make it a better place!
@Polly Ticks
You get a resounding yes! from me!

@FeelNoPain
Welcome aboard!