Author Topic: Firemen are banned from climbing ladders more than two metres high because they may fall off and hur  (Read 1421 times)

rangerrebew

Firemen are banned from climbing ladders more than two metres high because they may fall off and hurt themselves

Airport firemen have been banned from climbing tall ladders during training
    Airservices Australia chief fire officer Glenn Wood confirmed ban on Tuesday
    Firefighters have also been banned from using 'hazardous' power saws

By Charlie Moore For Daily Mail Australia

Published: 23:56 EST, 19 February 2019 | Updated: 23:56 EST, 19 February 2019

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6723631/Firemen-banned-climbing-ladders-two-metres.html

rangerrebew

Online roamer_1

Hey Smoke... Over here...

@Smokin Joe
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 05:11:24 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline QueenCatofAragon

What a bunch of bleeps, and I mean the kind that meow.

My uncle was a captain in the fire department.  He started having chest pains on the site of a fire in sub-zero temps.  Fought through them to make sure everyone got out safely, came home and dropped dead on his front porch.  He would have such contempt for this.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Hey Smoke... Over here...

@Smokin Joe
It's the way of the world. The standard on oil rigs now is any climb above 6 ft. has to have a shock arresting harness and fall protection. There is a lot we once did that is verboten now. I won't go into hanging tobacco in the chicken rafters or working on a pile driver, all done 'without a net'.

I recall going up a 110 ft. aerial ladder in my youth with just a ladder belt, clip in when you stop, and in full turnout gear. You just did it. We even had a drill exercise where we put ropes on the beam ends of a 35' ladder, eight guys held it vertical, and you climbed up one side, over the top and down the other.
By the time I made it to the oil patch we did have a counterweighted cable for going to the boards (90 ft. above the drill floor) or the crown (top of the derrick, about 150 ft. above ground level).

The bit about the power saws is scary, though--but this is an airport FD and they may not want any sparks around fuel. Those K-12 saws are torquey rascals, and will twist in your hands (gyroscopic effect from the blade) if you let them.  I would think they have hydraulic shears or the 'jaws' to work with.

Everyone wants to go home in one piece, but there is that little thing about being there to put out the fire and rescue people...

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

What a bunch of bleeps, and I mean the kind that meow.

My uncle was a captain in the fire department.  He started having chest pains on the site of a fire in sub-zero temps.  Fought through them to make sure everyone got out safely, came home and dropped dead on his front porch.  He would have such contempt for this.
Sorry y'all lost him. He sounds like he was a good man.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
It's the way of the world.

It's because everybody is tired of getting sued.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Smokin Joe

It's because everybody is tired of getting sued.
No,this stuff started long ago with the emphasis on safety in high risk jobs. It isn't about getting sued, because if a harness fails or someone gets tangled in their safety equipment, the lawyers line up to feed at the trough. The driving force is insurance costs, although the pretty face put on that is that everyone gets to go home with all the parts they brought to work still attached and functional. Consider, that working on a drilling rig used to be right up there in the top ten most dangerous jobs, and the extensive safety programs pursued since the 1980s have removed that job from the top ten. A LOT fewer guys are getting mangled and killed as a result.

But working on an oil rig, while it certainly has its hazards, is not as inherently dangerous as firefighting (I have done both, and a few others on the top ten list). As a firefighter, while you do what you can to keep from being another person who has to be rescued (counterproductive, that), but you are there to save lives and property, in that order, and to contain, control and extinguish the fire. You are going in harm's way, it's part of the job.
Add in too much regard for your personal safety, and you will compromise your foremost mission.

Consider, too, that the average airport crash truck has tires taller than 3 meters, just getting in the cab might require being tied off with fall protection gear, and that really puts this in perspective. A couple of minutes can seriously affect the fire's progress, and that delay might make a big difference in response time and effectiveness.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:41:18 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline LMAO

The Australian government should just pass a law stating all fires cannot burn more than 2 meters high.

Problem solved
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
First they took the guns.  Now they will take ladders.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
@The Ghost  @roamer_1  @Smokin Joe @LMAO  @Dexter  @QueenCatofAragon

Hmmm... safety...The main point of this post is  the arch for the upper panel. I laid it out and someone asked me how I was going make that arch? I said with my Skilsaw. And then showed them how.

haha The flowers were part of the Parade of Homes addition. Per the client request, this is their master bath.

My main point is that skilled operators don't need some geeky little eff to impose restrictions.

Those are touch latched mirror doors. Touch them in the corner and there are your medicine cabinets.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

Hmmm... safety...The main point of this post is  the arch for the upper panel. I laid it out and someone asked me how I was going make that arch? I said with my Skilsaw. And then showed them how.

haha The flowers were part of the Parade of Homes addition. Per the client request, this is their master bath.

My main point is that skilled operators don't need some geeky little eff to impose restrictions.

Those are touch latched mirror doors. Touch them in the corner and there are your medicine cabinets.
Beautiful work, Fred!

You are right, competent people don't need a list of how to or how not to get the job done. Anyone with a little maturity recognizes that getting injured Hurts!, doesn't pay as well, and could last a long time. So you don't cut corners where it matters and keep your bits out of harm's way.

Most safety is just a combination of common sense, with a dash of "What if?" thrown in (and not working around idiots).

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

Beautiful
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Beautiful

Only one who knows beauty can say that.

My point being that there is that same beauty is in what you do. What so many people, members of this forum do. Professionals with the experience, intelligence, wisdom.

There are articles that are posted that I make no comment on. Not out of disinterest. If I can't find the answer through my own research I will ask the question.

I don't post pics to prove myself or my trade. I'm not trying to sell myself. It is my testament to something that I had the opportunity for to be. Digit?

Offline Smokin Joe

Only one who knows beauty can say that.

My point being that there is that same beauty is in what you do. What so many people, members of this forum do. Professionals with the experience, intelligence, wisdom.

There are articles that are posted that I make no comment on. Not out of disinterest. If I can't find the answer through my own research I will ask the question.

I don't post pics to prove myself or my trade. I'm not trying to sell myself. It is my testament to something that I had the opportunity for to be. Digit?
Gotcha.
But everything we do, we put a little bit of ourselves into.
It is still some really nice work! That is a testament to the skill and nature of the craftsman. 

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I worked myself out of a job.

There is a specific detail in this pic.

She insisted.

It is entirely my fault. I gave her a choice.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I worked myself out of a job.

There is a specific detail in this pic.

She insisted.

It is entirely my fault. I gave her a choice.

Offline QueenCatofAragon

Sorry y'all lost him. He sounds like he was a good man.

@Smokin Joe

Thank you.  He really was.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh

Offline QueenCatofAragon

@bigheadfred

Those restrictions just serve to hamper the artist.  You know that’s art, right?