Author Topic: White House ends California talks on mileage dispute  (Read 660 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
White House ends California talks on mileage dispute
« on: February 21, 2019, 10:52:47 pm »
San Francisco Chronicle By ELLEN KNICKMEYER and TOM KRISHER 2/21/2019

The Trump administration on Thursday broke off talks on vehicle mileage standards with California, increasing the chances of a court battle that threatens to unsettle the auto industry.

The White House, which has proposed freezing the standards, said it would now move unilaterally to finish its own mileage rule later this year "with the goal of promoting safer, cleaner, and more affordable vehicles."

The administration's action challenges California's decades-old authority to set its own, tougher mileage standards. California has used a waiver that Congress granted it under the 1970s Clean Air Act to help deal with its punishing smog. About a dozen states follow California's mileage standards; that group accounts for about one-third of U.S. auto sales.

Lawmakers and automakers had urged a settlement and warned that different standards could bring years of court battles and raise costs for automakers and consumers.

California officials and the administration accuse each other of failing to present any acceptable compromise. The dispute comes as President Donald Trump feuds with the Democrat-led state over his proposed U.S.-Mexico border wall and his threats to take back federal money from a high-speed rail project. California has taken a leading role in a 16-state lawsuit against Trump's declaration of a national emergency to get money for the wall after Congress refused to provide it.

More: https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/technology/article/White-House-ends-California-talks-on-mileage-13633890.php

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: White House ends California talks on mileage dispute
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 12:29:38 am »
The dispute comes as President Donald Trump feuds with the Democrat-led state over his proposed U.S.-Mexico border wall and his threats to take back federal money from a high-speed rail project.

The spin is strong in this article.  It's wrong, but strong.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 12:37:18 am »
The spin is strong in this article.  It's wrong, but strong.

Wasn't Pelosi's hubby way up in that high-speed rail project?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 12:40:23 am »
I'd like to see the EPA and Washington agree on just ONE singular fuel formula (winter and summer blend) as well...use the "best" one and institute it nationwide.

No more "fuel islands" like CA and prices should stabilize due to supply.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 12:40:50 am »
Wasn't Pelosi's hubby way up in that high-speed rail project?
Probably, but I know Feinswine's was/is.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 12:52:16 am »
Probably, but I know Feinswine's was/is.

Thanks for the correction. It was Feinstein's husband.

I did find this snippet,  "House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-San Francisco) said she wanted to draw funding from the project for the Transbay Transit Center, the bullet train’s future terminus in San Francisco. The concentration of power by Pelosi, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, former Sen. Barbara Boxer and Brown gave the Bay Area an advantage, Katz said"
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 12:53:09 am »
I'd like to see the EPA and Washington agree on just ONE singular fuel formula (winter and summer blend) as well...use the "best" one and institute it nationwide.

No thanks.

If, for some reason I can't comprehend, I choose to drive north of Valdosta in the winter, I'll buy the local gas when I need to.  Otherwise, I have no use for a "winter blend" (or a national government that sticks its nose in my tank).
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 09:15:56 am »
Thanks for the correction. It was Feinstein's husband.

Look up Tutor Perini Construction & Richard Blum. Frontpagemag.com was all over it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:16:28 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 09:54:15 am »

That wont happen. For instance, drive a diesel into N. Dakota this time of year from down south, and the #2 will gel in the tank. You have to use #1 in the cold there. But #2 is cheaper in more temperate regions, and requiring #1 everywhere would just mean more expense for most users.

Different gasoline blends are for different regions as well, and not just a question of local laws, but what works.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis