Author Topic: A flashback to 2016: Matt Walsh on Trump's SC primary win  (Read 285 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
A flashback to 2016: Matt Walsh on Trump's SC primary win
« on: February 21, 2019, 03:34:51 pm »
I figured I'd post this as a little flashback to 2016, three years to date, back to when Trump won the South Carolina primary... perhaps to reassess the concerns many of us raised back then.

https://www.facebook.com/MattWalshBlog/posts/1127977783901997

Trump won South Carolina, a supposedly conservative Christian state, by a wide margin tonight.

A few quick reactions:

- Don't rationalize this. He didn't win because of Democrats. The man won Evangelicals. The man who -- JUST THIS WEEK -- praised Planned Parenthood, and who fishes for applause lines by cussing out his competitors and mocking disabled people, and who can't name a book in the Bible, and who said he doesn't need forgiveness from God, and who brags about sleeping with married women, and who said he'd love to date his own daughter because she has a hot body, and who supported the murder of fully developed infant children, and who blatantly lies and then lies again about lying, and who has encapsulated literally the exact opposite of anything that could remotely be considered a "Christian value," won with the indispensable assistance of Christians. The anger I feel towards those Christians in this moment cannot be put into words. They should be ashamed. I will pray for them.

- Speaking of winning conservatives, Trump -- JUST THIS WEEK -- said he likes the Obamacare mandate. This was, according to conservatives, the most important thing to defeat not but two years ago.

(excerpt)...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 03:54:26 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: A flashback to 2016
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 03:46:10 pm »
So, let's review some of these claims:

1. The man won Evangelicals. The man who -- JUST THIS WEEK -- praised Planned Parenthood
Result: Planned Parenthood is still funded.

2. who fishes for applause lines by cussing out his competitors and mocking disabled people, and who can't name a book in the Bible, and who said he doesn't need forgiveness from God, and who brags about sleeping with married women, and who said he'd love to date his own daughter because she has a hot body, and who supported the murder of fully developed infant children, and who blatantly lies and then lies again about lying, and who has encapsulated literally the exact opposite of anything that could remotely be considered a "Christian value," won with the indispensable assistance of Christians.
Result: Most of this is still true, though he's laid off the crude sexual commentaries since becoming President. Thankfully for all of us. Yet he still makes a lot of deliberately misleading statements, possibly just to troll people. The one place where he has markedly changed is that he is now adamantly pro-life, although his actions on this front have been limited mostly to rhetoric. The Supreme Court nominations have largely left us where we already were before: Gorsuch has been a fairly reliable conservative but Kavanaugh has not.

3. Speaking of winning conservatives, Trump -- JUST THIS WEEK -- said he likes the Obamacare mandate. This was, according to conservatives, the most important thing to defeat not but two years ago.
Result: The Obamacare mandate has been repealed, but the rest of the law remains in place. His only half-hearted defense of Roy Moore after his chosen candidate Luther Strange lost in the primary and Moore was senselessly smeared by the Post and other media outlets helped ensure that John McCain and other liberal Republicans could kill any substantial Obamacare repeal, breaking the promise the party made to the American people.

4. Bush should be commended for dropping out. He's an honorable and decent man, although I didn't support him. The others in the bottom tier, should they stay in, will be doing potentially irreparable harm to this country and my children's future. And that is something I will struggle to forgive.
Result: Most did drop out shortly after that, throwing their support behind Cruz. It was a close fight, but Trump's focus on the upper midwest—where he helped break the Blue Wall in the general election—and red areas in the otherwise blue Northeast helped put Trump over the top. (Then recently Trump turned around and told all those upstate New Yorkers, who he used to win, to move out of the state because there's nothing he can or will do for us... the same thing Andrew Cuomo wants.)

5. If Trump wins the nomination, conservatism in this country is officially dead, and the country itself will be close behind it.
Result: Trillion-dollar deficits certainly do seem like a death knell for fiscal austerity, and we continue to lose ground on social issues as Christian values and ethics become more and more toxic to an increasingly secular and pagan world. Republican partisanism, along with its assertion that cutting taxes solves all problems, however, seems to be alive and well in Washington.

6. Get on your knees and pray for this country tonight. Right now. I feel we are on the cusp of something terrible. Pray we avoid it.
Result: It's not here yet, but something tells me the danger's not over yet.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 03:47:19 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024