Author Topic: Midland crushes nation in creating new jobs  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Midland crushes nation in creating new jobs
« on: February 21, 2019, 01:46:25 pm »
Houston Chronicle By John C. Roper 2/20/2019

Midland led the nation in job growth, with employment in the West Texas county surging by nearly 12 percent — more than seven times the national average, the Labor Department reported Wednesday.

The surge was driven by the oil production boom in the Permian Basin, where output is breaking records and billions of dollars are being invested in pipelines and storage to move crude to Gulf Coast refining and export markets. The flood of money and workers coming into the county is not only creating jobs in the oil field, but also in the sectors, from construction to hospitality to transportation that provide goods and services to the energy industry.

Average weekly wages in Midland also rose by a staggering 7.4 percent, more than double the national average of 3.3 percent and triple that of Houston, which increased by 2.1 percent, according to the Labor Department.

“It’s a tremendous opportunity for someone at the beginning of their career, in the middle of their career or even to rehabilitate their career,” said Bobby Burns, a former three-term mayor of Midland who is currently president and CEO of the city’s chamber of commerce. “The jobs are here.”

This time is different

The Permian Basin is one of the world’s most prolific oil fields, nearing production of 4 million barrels a day and accounting for about one-third of U.S. output. More than 470 drilling rigs, about half the operating rigs in the continental United States, are in the Permian Basin.

Oil and gas employment has surged nearly 24 percent. The unemployment rate in Midland County has plunged to 2.1 percent, compared to 4 percent in the United States and Texas, and 4.1 percent in Houston.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/Midland-crushes-nation-in-creating-new-jobs-13632304.php

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Midland crushes nation in creating new jobs
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 01:49:06 pm »
I bet if you went back to the 50s you can find at least 4 or 5 times similar articles appeared in the papers.

It is boom or bust in Midland, and the cycle repeats itself.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 01:56:53 pm »
I bet if you went back to the 50s you can find at least 4 or 5 times similar articles appeared in the papers.

It is boom or bust in Midland, and the cycle repeats itself.

I just hope they get smart and save for the bust cycles.

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 03:17:26 pm »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 02:08:41 am »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 08:47:57 am »
Oil Patch Trash prayer........
I used to have something similar on a bumper sticker, right next to the one that said

"Please don't tell my folks I work in the oil patch, they still think I am a piano player in a wh*rehouse."

Never could play piano, but I dealt blackjack in a titty bar during one downturn...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis