Author Topic: GOP Sen. Collins says she'll back resolution to block Trump's emergency declaration  (Read 626 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP Sen. Collins says she'll back resolution to block Trump's emergency declaration
By Jordain Carney - 02/20/19 05:20 PM EST

GOP Sen. Susan Collins (Maine) on Wednesday said that she would support a resolution to block President Trump's emergency declaration to construct the U.S.-Mexico border wall.

Collins, speaking to reporters in Maine, said that she would support a resolution of disapproval that was focused on the emergency declaration, which she has described as being of "dubious constitutionality."

“If it’s a ‘clean’ disapproval resolution, I will support it,” she told reporters, according to the Associated Press

A spokeswoman for Collins didn't immediately respond to The Hill's request for comment.

But Collins has spoken out strongly against Trump's actions, arguing that the National Emergencies Act wasn't meant to be used to shuffle around money to build a border wall.

more
https://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/430849-collins-says-shell-vote-for-resolution-blocking-trumps-emergency
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline bilo

How typical.

I am thankful for the few Pubs who will put country first and pray there are enough of them that they can't override Trump's veto.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Bill Cipher

Good for her. 

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Since Collins, like most lawmakers, doesn't know anything about the Constitution, can she be voted out?
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Let her reveal her true colors.

Her vote won't matter.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Her job now is to be the heir to McCain.

And I had always thought Lindsey would serve that role, but something happened to him since the funeral.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
This is not a surprise. The resolution will pass the House and get sent to the Senate. They'll probably have 4 or more on the right for simple majority. It's rather moot, however, since they won't reach a 67 threshold to overturn a veto.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline roamer_1

This is not a surprise. The resolution will pass the House and get sent to the Senate. They'll probably have 4 or more on the right for simple majority. It's rather moot, however, since they won't reach a 67 threshold to overturn a veto.

I think they will. Using an emergency declaration for the sole purpose of end-running the House's legitimate role wrt the power of the purse - And that can easily be proven - is quite literally a Constitutional crisis. They would be right to override him.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Collins bailing is no surprise, She's a liberal with an 'R' and likely wouldn't be opposin on COnstitutional grounds, but just doing her usual siding with the liberals gig.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I think they will. Using an emergency declaration for the sole purpose of end-running the House's legitimate role wrt the power of the purse - And that can easily be proven - is quite literally a Constitutional crisis. They would be right to override him.

Even if they did, you'd need 55 in the House to reach the required 290. That's highly unlikely.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.