Author Topic: Jussie Smollett’s lawyers make ‘Hail Mary’ call to postpone grand jury  (Read 1049 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Jussie Smollett’s lawyers make ‘Hail Mary’ call to postpone grand jury

By Lia Eustachewich

February 20, 2019 | 11:47am

“Empire” star Jussie Smollett may end up dodging potential indictment charges thanks to a last-minute phone call his lawyers made to prosecutors, according to a report Wednesday.

The “Hail Mary” call was made Tuesday — just moments before brothers Olabinjo and Abimbola Osundairo were set to testify before a grand jury in Chicago, a source close to the investigation told CBS News.

It’s not exactly clear what Smollett’s lawyers told prosecutors, but it was enough for the Cook County prosecutors to postpone the proceeding.

The grand jury was supposed to begin hearing evidence that could have resulted in the TV actor being indicted on felony charges of filing a false police report.

The brothers reportedly spilled their guts to police after being arrested last week — telling them that they were hired by Smollett to stage the reported hate attack against him Jan. 29.

They also told cops that Smollett was behind a supposed threatening letter he received at “Empire’s” studios in Chicago a week before the alleged assault, according to ABC News. The claim is now being investigated by the FBI and US postal inspectors.

more
https://pagesix.com/2019/02/20/jussie-smolletts-lawyers-make-hail-mary-call-to-postpone-grand-jury/?_ga=2.85143641.1193749260.1550673042-2099665814.1540681185
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

CBS News has learned that a last-minute phone call may have saved "Empire" star Jussie Smollett from potentially being indicted. Last month, the actor claimed he was the victim of a racist and homophobic attack as he walked home in the middle of the night. Two brothers have now told Chicago police Smollett paid them to stage the assault.
A source close to the investigation tells CBS News the brothers were set to appear in front of a grand jury Tuesday. But CBS News correspondent Dean Reynolds reports those plans were abruptly scrapped after a "Hail Mary" call from Smollett's defense team.....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/testimony-in-jussie-smollett-case-scrapped-after-hail-mary-phone-call/ar-BBTQNmh?ocid=spartanntp

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 09:35:04 pm by ABX »

Bill Cipher

Offer to plea to a misdemeanor of some sort, perhaps?

Offline MOD3

Topics merged.

Offline LMAO

I don’t think he’ll serve or should serve prison time over this. He’s already set in motion the destruction of his career.

I don’t think he should get off Scott free, either
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
He'll wiggle out of any charges, because...
1. He's black;
2. He's gay;
3. He's a leftist.

That's a winning combination!

Offline Applewood

I don’t think he’ll serve or should serve prison time over this. He’s already set in motion the destruction of his career.

I don’t think he should get off Scott free, either

I've been saying he should reimburse the city for investigating this hoax.  Why should the taxpayers be on the hook for his stunt?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Breaking....charged with Disorderly Conduct....

Matt Couch
🎙
‏ @RealMattCouch
2m2 minutes ago

BREAKING: Jussie Smollett’s Charged With Felony Disorderly Conduct/False Police Report
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jussie Smollett hit with felony charge in attack hoax

By - Associated Press - Updated: 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Chicago police say ‘Empire’ actor Jussie Smollett has been charged with felony disorderly conduct for allegedly filing a false police report when he reported that he was attacked by two masked men.

Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi says the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office approved the felony charge on Wednesday afternoon. The charge is a Class 4 felony that carries a possible prison sentence of 1-3 years, but he could also receive probation.

Smollett reported to police that on Jan. 29 two masked men shouted racial and homophobic slurs at him, beat him, threw a chemical substance at him and looped a rope tied like a noose around his neck.

The charges against Smollett were filed after two men who allegedly took part in the scheme testified before a grand jury.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/feb/20/jussie-smollett-charged-felony-attack-hoax/
Support the USO

Offline goodwithagun

Breaking....charged with Disorderly Conduct....

Matt Couch
🎙
‏ @RealMattCouch
2m2 minutes ago

BREAKING: Jussie Smollett’s Charged With Felony Disorderly Conduct/False Police Report

Good!
I stand with Roosgirl.

Bill Cipher

What will that eventually be bargained down to?

Offline Applewood

FWIW:  I found this regarding the law in Illinois concerning a charge of felony disorderly conduct:

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/illinois-law/illinois-disorderly-conduct-laws.html

Disorderly conduct charged as a felony may result in an increased punishment. A Class 4 felony may result in a term of imprisonment for one to three years, while a Class 3 felony can lead to a sentence of two to five years. For a Class 3 felony, the Illinois disorderly conduct laws specifically require a fine in an amount between $3,000 and $10,000.

For each sentence, state law requires an additional penalty of 30 to 120 hours of community service if available in the local area.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Too bad, Jussie.

Chicago PD does not have a history of liking being lied to.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Applewood

And now Smollett is going to fight the charges:

Jussie Smollett to Launch 'Aggressive Defense' After Being Charged with Filing False Police Report

“Like any other citizen, Mr. Smollett enjoys the presumption of innocence, particularly when there has been an investigation like this one where information, both true and false, has been repeatedly leaked,” Smollett’s attorneys Todd Pugh and Victor Henderson said in a statement given to PEOPLE.

“Given these circumstances, we intend to conduct a thorough investigation and to mount an aggressive defense.”

https://people.com/crime/jussie-smollett-to-launch-aggressive-defense-false-police-report-charge/